“Helped make our wedding day perfect”
Review of The Garden Cafe

The Garden Cafe
Ranked #3 of 14 Coffee & Tea in Hove
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We used the garden cafe for the catering of our wedding. Service from the moment I made initial contact with Natalie right up to the day was top notch. Natalie listened to our ideas and used her expertise to make any suggestions. On our actual wedding day the food, the service and experience was super. Everyone commented on how delicious the food was and the team cooking dealt with a busy house beautifully. Thank you Natalie and your team.

2  Thank Nickyday
There are newer reviews for The Garden Cafe

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The Garden Cafe was ideal for my daughter's naming and birthday celebrations. I had been before with friends and children - it's by far the nicest park cafe in Brighton. As it was such a beautiful day, we had gazebos, tables and chairs set up on the lawn and we served afternoon tea, with prosecco and beer. Everything was delicious - I don't eat wheat and I'm usually disappointed with my alternatives when I see what everyone else has, but that wasn't the case here. Similarly, my lactose-intolerant friend was delighted with what they'd come up with for her. Everyone commented on how great the food was and the service was second to none. Carl was especially brilliant - nothing was too much trouble. Thank you to Natalie and the team for a perfect day. I would definitely use Garden Cafe catering again and recommend to friends.

1  Thank diamond73
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We visited the Garden Cafe on a hot day in June for a picnic for a number of elderly local residents. The cafe put on a outstanding spread of food, the staff were extremely helpful and the gazebos they put up gave us a restbite from the scorching sun. An excellent time was had by all!

1  Thank jcorn9986
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Perfect venue in glorious sunshine for our granddaughter's naming day and birthday celebration yesterday.The service was speedy,excellent, efficient and extremely pleasant throughout the afternoon. My daughter had opted for afternoon tea which was delicious. Plentiful savoury delicacies, scones and cream, meringues, delicious raspberry and cream slices and with all tastes and dietary options catered for. The manager in charge was most helpful and accommodating during or visit and nothing was too much trouble for him or the rest of the staff. The Garden Cafe certainly helped to make it a delightful and memorable celebration.

1  Thank Return75
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This cafe is nicely situated inside a pleasant green space.
But it is NOT a restaurant and barely rates as a caf. It serves a purpose as a meeting place for local mums and their children so lunch-time on a sunny day it is to be avoided at all costs. Indoors it is full of screaming children and outdoors any table not occupied is covered in grot. I did not see a single table being cleared or cleaned. The bare wood tables generally showed no sign of being cleaned for days.
I haven't eaten in such dirty surroundings since my student days. The cutlery also was filthy.
I have no doubt that when catering for a special event they can pull out the stops but for a stranger visiting the area it is a no go.
Staff however were friendly to a grumpy old man.

3  Thank snodgras
Natalie H, Owner at The Garden Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

I am sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience at The Garden Café. I can assure you this is not the standard of service or cleanliness that we are known for or that is acceptable. Please could you let me know which day you visited so I can address the issue by talking to the relevant staff.

I would appreciate your cooperation and hope you will consider visiting us again.

Many apologies again for your experience.
Kind regards