“Good Thai food”

Cuisines: Thai
hove, england
“Good Thai food”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

For those of those unfamiliar with Unithai, it is simply a little cafe attached to the back of an Oriental supermarket. There is one big communal table and around 3 smaller tables which seat no more than 4. There can be a wait for tables during peak times - I find Saturday afternoon particularly busy.
Now for the food - there is a short menu with the usual dishes such as Phat Thai, green curry and street-style noodle soups. My favourite is the chicken and basil with a fried egg on top. There isn't much in the way of starters but then again this isn't a place to linger over your food. I have tried a few dishes and they have been better than at other Thai restaurants I have been to in Brighton and Hove. It certainly is one place I keep coming back to. Is it the best Thai food I've had outside of Thailand? No, but it's pretty close and that is good enough for me.

• Visited April 2013

Brighton
“Love this place!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

THE BEST Pad Thai I have had outside of Thailand!

Lovely people, good value, this has been a regular place I come to to eat great food and read the newspaper, I love it!

• Visited May 2012
Brighton, England
“Mine was alright......”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Tried this for lunch recently as we fancied trying this place after all the good reviews and also on personal recommendation. Well, the atmosphere was buzzing, we queued for a table and after declining being put in the middle of a large communal table and a short wait, we were seated on a table for four. There was a solitary diner with us, but she was finishing her meal which looked lovely. We brought a bottle of wine with us and were promptly supplied with tumblers. After perusing the menu and the specials, I decided on the pork broth that had strips of pork and pork balls with noodles and beansprouts in a dark spicy sweetish soup. My husband plumped for the pad thai; one of his favourites. To nibble, we ordered prawn crackers. They arrived with chilli sauce and there were loads of them! There was then a very long wait, where our fellow diner finished, paid up and left, two ladies then joined us and were eating while we still waited. When we finally received our food, I was very happy with mine - the pork strips were lean, tender and everything was nicely spicy and tasty, although I probably wouldn't bother with the pork balls again. These were made of mince and felt and tasted like processed meat. Unfortunately, my husband's pad thai was the worst he's ever had. He said it was glutenous, sticky and unpleasant to eat. I tried a little, and I had to agree with him. We were never asked if we were happy with the food, only whether we had finished. It was obvious that there was far too much left on hubby's plate but no-one commented, and we were reluctant to make a fuss. We will try again on another day and with a different dish, but with reservations. If you can't get a bog standard pad thai properly made from a Thai place, then it does make you wonder.....

• Visited April 2013
brighton
“Best Thai in Hove by Far”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We love the food here - authentic, variety, quick service and you can buy alcohol next door or choose from a variety of soft drinks - aloe juice, coconut water, lychee juice amongst them. You can't book and have to take a bit of a gamble with parties of more than 2 as its popular and you share tables. But by comparison to the Green Mango next door this is the better option by far.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“The best food in Brighton & Hove - FACT!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am in love with this place, the Thai food here is the best I have had outside of Thailand. It's a small place, and you sit at the back of the shop, but it is very authentic.

The food is amazing, my favourite is the Thai Green Curry with Beancurd (The best beancurd I have ever had) but the other dishes are all delicious too. Other Thai places really don't compare, and I have had some awful Thai dishes in other local places.

The staff are friendly and the food is so reasonably prices - I would recommend it to anyone, and come here all the time for their wonderful dishes.

• Visited March 2013