“Relaxed, friendly and super food”
Review of Square Restaurant - CLOSED

Square Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, friendly and super food”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I feel like I'm dishing out a lot of 5 star reviews, but I'm very lucky to have a number of great places to eat near home.

I've loved the Square since moving to Hove 5 years ago, and have never had reason to give it any less than full marks.

You can always be sure of a very warm welcome and excellent food. From simple but delicious pizzas, to more complex, high-quality fish dishes, they get it right.

Visited February 2014

“A memorable experience....”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My friend & I ate here last night...we had booked for an early evening meal and the restaurant was empty when we arrived. The waiter remembered where we had travelled from and gave us the choice to sit wherever we wanted to.....My friend chose the fishcakes & I had the peperoni chicken....we did have to wait about 30 minutes for our mains to arrive but I would say they were both the wait! The chicken came with potatoes and vegetables...all cooked to perfection and my friend had chips & salad with the fishcakes....both plates cleared very easily. For dessert we chose the banoffee pie and chocolate fondant...another wait of about 20 minutes but not a problem for us as we were quite happy drinking & chatting. I was slightly disappointed with the size of the desserts but they were served on large plates which made them look smaller...but both very tasty. For 2 courses plus 2 soft drinks and 2 teas the bill was £51 with service but luckily I have a tastecard which brought the total down to £31....so excellent value. The surrounding are very relaxing and the waiter very chatty and attentive....so yes we will be returning with or without a tastecard!

Brighton
“Great value, decent food in a attractive environment”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My friend and I dined here early on a weekday evening and, for a while, we were the only customers. At the point we arrived there was not even a waiter so we were served by the friendly chef. I chose this restaurant as I have a Tastecard but the prices are very reasonable anyway. I note that another reviewer mentions that "you get what you pay for” and this restaurant is certainly not fine dining. However, my garlic mushroom starter was delicious, freshly cooked with apparently quality ingredients. I was slightly disappointed with my penne arrabiata, as I had hoped it would be tastier but it was a simple, fresh and well-cooked meal and I ate it all. My companion also thoroughly enjoyed both her courses. Service was OK and was warm and friendly but I imagine it may have been very slow, had the restaurant filled up. The seats and tables are comfortable and this is an attractive space. I had visited previously for a party and know that this can have a lively bar atmosphere too. I have rated the restaurant as "very good" because "average" would not be fair but wish that Trip Advisor would allow me to rate it as "Good". I will definitely return.

1 Thank ElectraCooter
Sussex
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We chose the Square restaurant to meet with some family members on a flying visit to hove. Tripadvisor reviews were very positive, so I was a bit disappointed to find a basic menu, in an empty restaurant on a Saturday lunchtime. The staff were very attentive and friendly, and the meal for six of us cost less than £75, but there were definitely no frills, and you were served exactly and only what was described on the menu. So if you want a fairly cheap pizza or pasta in a central location, ths Square is as good as it gets. But if you want a bit of sophistication and refinement in the food and/or surroundings, you may want to look around a bit more.

“Meal with friends”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

on saturday a group of friends and i visited this restaurant and what a disapointment we arrived at 8 30pm and we did not get our main course until 10 35pm it was outragus no apology tje restuaurant was not busy so there was no excuse they just kept trying to push the wine my freind had a starter of prawns which was 8 pounds she had 4 prawns that were very small. i ordered chicken and when it finally arrived they served the chicken in the mushroom sauce with a few rock hard veg but what was laughable was the saute potatoes i had 3 little cubes when i asked for more they seemed surprised and bought out 8 more to share between 3 of us my friend had pork belly it was dry no gravey even though it says apple gravey the crackling was good but there was no meat when she told the waiter it was dry he then said try this and bought out the gravey another friend had a pizza parcel and that was dough inside was a thin spread of tomato sauce awful .by the time we had finished the main course it was gone 11pm to late for a dessert .it just seemed to take forever my advice is unless you are preapared to wait for very small portions and bland food dont go i eat oyt alot and the square was by far the worst restaurant i have eaten in in a long time there are far better restaurants in hove the portions are very small and its not worth the prices the music was loud so you could not hear yourself talking never again with so many good restaurants in hove myadvice would be give this one a miss.

• Visited February 2014