“Imagine if Rigsby ran a Guest House...”
Review of Chatsworth Hotel

Chatsworth Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hove
Ranked #12 of 16 Hove B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Imagine if Rigsby ran a Guest House...”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Cougar Town and I stayed at the Chatsworth on a whistle-stop visit to Brighton to go to a Vince Kidd gig. Frank (the proprietor) is an absolute gent and gave us a free upgrade to an en-suite room as he hadn't realised that Cougar was 'A lady'.
The accommodation is perfectly charming, full of yer auld Granny's brown furniture and lovely knick-knacks and ornaments. Patterned curtains and wallpaper are of the kind one couldn't buy nowadays. The beds are comfy and have sheets and blankets and candlewick bedspreads. There is a warm and cosy atmosphere, as though The Ladykillers are plotting in the Dining Room. Ashtrays in the bedrooms are an almost unique touch of civilisation and sophistication. During our stay, I managed to lock myself out of my room wearing only my pants (much to the horror of Hattie Jacques in the next room who was awakened by my frantic chapping). Thankfully Frank had a spare key and was remarkably nonplussed by my near nakedness. We didn't sample the breakfast because we were so drunk the night before we slept in!! Frank came to our rescue once again and phoned us a taxi in the morning ensuring we caught our train home by a bawhair.
All in all, the most remarkable place to stay in Brighton. A welcome and refreshing change from soul-less hotels and up-themselves guest houses. We are planning to return and stay for a longer visit. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RodfaeGlesga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Room 4
I agree with the person who left a comment before me.

Initially I thought Frank was very nice and B&B had charm, but then I looked a little closer.
Only ended up here as everything else booked as it was a w/e. Recommended by Brighton Tourist Board and was graded as a 2star. I would grade it 1star, if that.

My bed (a single one) the mattress was so old that it was bouncy and the bed actually dipped in middle and woke me up. When I told Frank this in the morning, he immediately replied 'Oh yeah, I should change the mattress.' When I mentioned it again before leaving, he said I was the only person who has ever complained! He accused us of being contrived and was then rude, not apologetic! I never even commented on cleanliness as he didn't see interested.

The bathroom was clean, just a bit dusty and toilet could do with some bleach.

The carpet and bedding was antiquated. My friend who slept in the double bed, said the sheets smelt like they had not been cleaned from the previous person and smelt musty. Wardrobe was and carpet dusty, looked like hasn't been hoovered in years. Thank goodness it was only one night! Eiderdowns were at least 25 years old!!

Door to floor has mucky finger prints all over it.
Breakfast room - plates etc also didn't seem clean.

Whole place needs a proper clean and dust and bedding/mattresses need changing immediately. They can keep the character of building. If it is Frank that has to do everthing this would explain why.

Agree neighbourhood was nice.

For £75 a night, you can do better than this. He also tried to charge £80 as it was a sat, but after the bed fiasco I wasn't paying more than £75 normal rate and then accused us of making up bed story to pay the going rate!!

Room Tip: Don't take room 4!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Hove hotels

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Sorry to everyone who seemed to like the charm of this place. But I wouldn't board my dog here.

The owner (who may well be a very nice guy) had foodstains on his jumper, the hall smelled musty and damp, and the initial impression is of a house lived in by an very old person.

One look at the room was enough. The beds were covered in huge olive coloured counterpanes. I'm 33 and my mum has some baby pictures of me lying on just such a bedsheet. I'm certain the bed clothes in this "hotel" if you can call it that are older than I am. When my partner checked out the bathroom I noticed the bath towel on the floor was crumpled up, as though the room had not been cleaned since it was last used. While my other half was in the bathroom the owner noticed some rubbish left by the previous occupant on the ancient dressing table and actually stuffed it in his pocket thinking I hadn't seen.

If this is the kind of standards this place keeps I'd rather sleep on a bench.

I can only imagine what the beds must be like, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even changed.

Please bare in mind that I only viewed a room as I couldn't bring myself to stay here. I will also add that I am not a fussy guy. I've backpacked in across Asia and lived in China and stayed in some grottier places than this. But this is England and it's 2012 and this place is the worst establishment I've ever seen. Sorry but that's my opinion.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheSleeperxx99
Reviewed July 11, 2011

When I arrived quite late aftera difficult drive I felt a bit grumpy that my room wasn't immaculately clean. And to my amazement the bed had sheets, blankets , eiderdown and bedspread! But the bedlinen was spotless and soft and in the morning light I could see that it really was a nice little room in a house full of character and interesting things.
Frank runs it all alone and is just getting ready for his busiest season. He serves breakfast in the basement which looks out onto a pretty garden. I could only manage half of the 'full english breakfast' on offer - and there was also cereals, juices and endless toast and marmalade, with pots of tea with tealeaves(!) served in pretty dainty china.cups.
Frank is helpful and friendly - a font of info about the area and well equipped with guidesbooks, what's ons etc. Not having to crouch in the Brighton wind on the step outside for a cigarette gives him my vote whattever (how rare and how civilised). Though anyone looking for a quaint and interesting Guest House that has got lost in the mists of time would probably appeciate Frank & The Chatsworth as much as I did, especially if you are a smoker!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank bossalien
UK
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Its true, this building hasnt been decorated in 40 years. And i hope it stays this way. Staying at the Chatsworth is an experience, being greeted by Frank is part of that. Tiny china cups at breakfast, tea leaves not bags, original honest furniture. My biggest bugbear with paid accommodation is paying too much for gloss, for surface shine, when under the surface it looks just like Franks place.

A glorious mix of Rising Damp and Fawlty Towers. Come with the right attitude, your eyes open to the wonderful untouched charm, and love The Chatsworth for what it is - a shrine, a museum of a B+B. And come soon, this kind of stunner wont be around forever!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank cappedup
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I booked a room here at short notice and needing somewhere cheap and convenient for my work in Brighton,so in that sense it was ok.Parking was less than it would have been as a non-resident,and the location was good,near the seafront,local shops and cafes,and buses.
The proprietor was friendly and helpful,and the breakfast ok.
However,I couldn't bring myself to stay here again,the floor was filthy,hairs in the shower tray,a dirty tissue on the bedroom floor,depressing decor,not -clean-looking tea cups in the room...
Dust on the shelves above the sink.
Bed seemed clean and comfortable...
but I was not sad to leave.
Needs a thourough clean and upgrade!

• Liked — friendly owner,near sea,cheaper parking
  • Disliked — cleanliness of room,decor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank cellista
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Would'nt recommend this place - nice location but struggling to keep up with the times. Was probably very grand 10 years ago! Plenty of other accommodation in Brighton so save your money!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank SeagullBrighton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hove
Imperial
#32 of 44 in Brighton
Kings Hotel
Kings Hotel
#20 of 44 in Brighton

Been to Chatsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!