“Limited menu, average service, poor value”
Review of Graze - CLOSED

Graze
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A short distance from the impressive Brunswick Square, in the heart of Hove's famous Regency district, the award-winning Graze Restaurant is a food venue of considerable reputation which appeals equally to locals and visitors to Brighton.The lavish Brighton Pavilion inspired interior makes for a sophisticated fine dining experience in which to enjoy the culinary magic of gifted Head Chef Will Stanyer. To experience his seven course tasting menus, for which Graze is renowned, alongside the inspired wine flights or to eat from the Modern British three course set menu is to share in a passion for flavours and an indulgence in the aesthetic pleasure of dining.Graze is ideally situated just a short walk into Hove and just a pebbles throw away from the sea and central Brighton. So named as diners 'graze' the tasting menus, Graze Restaurant is now in its 5th year, holds 2 AA rosettes and is rated as one of the top restaurants in East Sussex by the Which? 'Good Food Guide 2011'.
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The set menu was very limited and the service while efficient was not exactly warm or welcoming.

At these prices I would have expcetd something out of the ordinary, which this was not. Overall it wasn't bad but did not justify the cost.

1  Thank berlinboy_hove

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We ate here on quiet evening in December. I think there was a private party in the basement, but we were not really aware of them.

We opted for the 2 course meal at £27 rather than the 7-course tasting menu. It was a very good seasonal menu. I remember the Pheasant breast with root vegetables and pheasant "sausage roll". The venison tartare was something I had not experienced before but was excellent.

Service was friendly and efficient.

It is on the expensive side, but the dishes were interesting and prepared with great care.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We each had the seven-course taster menu, and all the courses were fine. However, the service was only average, and given the location and premises the prices are too high. We had a similar taster menu at Maze in London which was much better value, with superior service and premises.

1  Thank joetidd
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I surprised my boyfriend with dinner at Graze for his birthday last Friday and we both thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I had read great things on Trip Advisor about the 7 course tasting menu so we both decided to go for the full experience and go for the wine option too! This route is likely to be the most painful on the wallet ... But I have no regrets!

Every course was delicious - portions were on the small side but then this was expected with 7 courses. The dishes on the set menu were not things that i would usually order - which was my one reservation when ordering the taster menu. However, this meant that every course was both a pleasant surprise and an educational experience! The pumpkin risotto was definitely the best risotto I have ever had while my boyfriend has continued to rave about the carpaccio of fallow deer starter and the venison main course!

The wines were well chosen to complement each dish - my raised eyebrow when a red was poured with my cod main course was quickly put back in its place when I tasted the chorizo hidden within the chickpeas accompanying the fish.

With the prices and type of food on offer, I was a little worried that Graze may have a slightly pretentious atmosphere. What really impressed me was that this could not be further from the truth. The restaurant had an intimate, cosy feel and the service was faultless. The waitresses were very friendly and knowledgeable, especially Amelia. We never felt hurried, nor was there a long wait between courses - the timing was just right.

We were enjoying our Graze experience so much that we continued it with a cheeseboard to share and a cocktail each. Our lovely waitresses also brought over an entirely unexpected and very welcome treat of chocolate truffles as they heard us talking about my boyfriend's birthday!

Overall, it is difficult to compare Graze to other restaurants I have been to - the food is of a very high quality and the variety offered by the taster menu is fantastic! The great service and relaxed atmosphere contributed to our grazing experience, and I would not hesitate to recommend Graze to others for a treat or special occasion. The review would not be complete without a bit of a health warning over cost - the bill came to over £200 for 2 people! However we did make the most of everything on offer and I was aware of the potential cost before choosing to visit. For me it was a unique experience; I couldn't afford to visit on a regular basis. That said, I was very pleased with evening - so much more than just a dinner!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Been a few times now so know the place! Love it, wonderfully presented food, good service, wine and taster sets are a great treat...leads to a very jolly night. Yes you need to make sure pennies are in the bank for it, but you get what you pay for and for me it is worth it. enjoy :-)