“Familiar and friendly - A fine example of a proper pub”
Review of The Saxon Inn

The Saxon Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Child Okeford
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have been a quintessentially loyal regular at The Saxon Inn for 9 years. I can't claim to be less than a tad bias, but I will review this pub for what it is to me, focusing not exclusively on the quality of the food or drink, but on its value to me as a customer and a community asset as well.

As I mentioned, I have been coming here for 9 years, so they must be doing something right! I am not a banal, lazy local. I have standards and expectations of a pub, and this place meets them tenfold.

The Saxon is warm, welcoming and reliable. You are treated as a friend and made to feel at home almost immediately. I cannot fault the care and attention this establishment takes in making you part of its family. I have lost count of the many happy times and celebrated occasions I've spent here, alongside cosy fires and laughing friends. Its a place you can call a home from home, always there for you whenever you need it. Its a rare thing to find a pub thats truly another place you can feel safe and call home, but The Saxon Inn is exactly that.

The Real Ale is well kept, not expensive and changing frequently. The food, for me, has never been anything but fairly priced and more than satisfactory. The rooms are modern and clean. But its the extra mile the owners go to make you feel welcome and content which makes this place truly special.

Perfect for a quiet night out, a family celebration, a good old knees up and always a thoroughly good time.

Places like this are hard to find. Come and visit as a guest, only to return again and again as a welcomed friend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Juett77

Reviewed March 1, 2014

With a roaring fire and a "warming winter" atmosphere, this pub has an unparalleled cosy vibe. A proper traditional pub for those who enjoy a classy, professional and relaxed environment - definitely the type of place to bring family and friends for a tasteful meal.

I recently arranged a family reunion here and the kitchen was incredibly prepared to cater for a large group. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal - it was the perfect combination of elegant presentation with a better-than-homemade taste. Beautiful rooms and welcome staff made the experience even more enjoyable!

Would recommend this pub to anyone in the Dorset area. Fantastic experience!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I came for dinner with my friend and we had an amazing evening.
There was a lovely atmosphere with regulars and people eating.
We had a lovely dinner and the cheesecake after was delicious and all the food was made in house which I love.
I will definitely be coming back as the service was friendly and welcoming and we had a lovely time.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Such a lovely traditional country pub. A varied selection of fine real ales and an enticing menu keeps you coming back for more!
I recently enjoyed a fantastic meal at The Saxon Inn, which was prepared to my liking (I'm a fussy eater!) but nothing can contest the AMAZING desserts on offer. Chef's homemade cheesecakes really are something to die for! I chose the white chocolate and cookie dough cheese cake and it was SUPERB! It's obvious Chef takes the job very seriously. The care and attention is transferred from plate to tastebuds!

The staff were very welcoming to myself and my friends and made our evening a pleasant stay.

We will be back!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Saxon very kindly organised the Wake for my Godmother and we were all delighted by how well it was managed and the attention to detail. The food and service were very impressive and helped to make the memory of our beloved friend all the more special. Thank you, Nicola.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Have visited this pub on several occasions and decided to try their Christmas Menu with a couple of relations. Could not have been more pleased. The food was excellant and good value, the staff were attentive and friendly, I asked for my Hake to be served with salad and not spinach & cranberries, no problem. The salad was plentiful as were the variety of well cooked vegetables. The home made cheesecake was to die for!! All in all was a very enjoyable experience. Would definately recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a lovely, very tastefully decorated traditional Inn, beautifully modernised. One would have to search very hard to find anywhere better. Hidden away, but just off the village road, it is well signposted. We were welcomed warmly by Helen after our long five hour journey. The property is lovely, and we were delighted with our spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated, very well furnished room and the en-suite bathroom with corner bath and shower and available toiletries. Soon after when we went down to the bar; my husband was extremely pleased to find the landlord had an excellent selection of real ales, whilst I really appreciated a choice of gins for my preferred tipple and good reasonable choice of fine wines. My husband very much enjoyed his steak meal, and I was delighted with my very fresh, really delicious, well presented brie and apple salad. There is a charming selection of paintings, prints and photographs throughout the property, by at least one very talented artist. I noted that Helen obviously has a 'great eye' for fine art and confessed to dabbling in art herself. I was delighted that my husband had found the 'Saxon Inn' for a meal on a previous return visit to his home county and suggested that we might stay there. We have already booked a return visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ludwell
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Abbotsbury

Been to The Saxon Inn? Share your experiences!