“Small friendly hotel serving hood good rooms little tired but clean”
Review of The Airman Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed on 14/2 for valentines
hotel served excellent meal in the resturant & suprised all with a glass of complimentary bubbly so a good start to the evening
staff friendly food was great service though busy was good & polite
would reccommend to anyone for food & stay as near Luton airport -made it easy to get back to Germany .

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stopped for one night when I couldnt get into my regular hotel in Biggleswade.
The airman is convenient for all local main routes, being sited at a major A road junction outside of town.

Had a large room with a 4 poster bed, but none of the furniture or decor seemed to match! That said, it was clean and comfortable.

I took my evening meal in the bar. Home cooked chips were on offer, but when they arrived they were still raw inside. Additionally the veg were only tepid.

Hotel was quiet so no atmosphere in the bar. Could have benefitted from a real ale too

Breakfast the next morning was similarly average. Poor quality cheap sausage, luke warm baked beans and a greasy hash brown. Bacon and mushrooms ok.

All in all it was just average in all respects. Better accomodation can be found elsewhere in this price range

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights in December with 2 other adults and it was the dirtiest place ever. There were 5 adults in our party for dinner and 2 of the meals were wrong and by the time mine was rectified the meat was cold and as tough as old boots. I complained about the state of the room and was offered another one but that was just as bad. I was told it would be cleaned while we were out but my finger line in dust was still there in the wardrobe when we got back and dont get me started on the state of the bathroom. I felt like my skin was crawling by the time we left. I was told that the manager would contact me but surprise surprise no-one has. This is the first time I have felt disgusted enough to leave a review. Do yourself a favour DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Booked a night away as we were going to a family party nearby & it was an opportunity to have some peace & quiet together.
Our room was poorly lit & had the feel of a dormitory about it, with a row of one double & two singles in it.
The bathroom left a great deal to be desired...it wasn't properly clean, there were hairs from a previous guest on the basin, the taps had gunge round them & the plug was broken.
Not a good experience...I was pleased to leave in the morning!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I spent two nights at the Airman and booked before I read the reviews. When I read them I had immediate second thoughts but decided to go ahead. We got a little lost on the way and telephoned to find where we should go, the staff were very helpful and talked us in. We checked in and went to our room. It was a great surprise. The room was large, clean and the bedding was white high quality duvets and cotton covers with a lot of pillows. Bathroom was excellent, clean and tidy with all you would expect including a sewing kit which I promptly dropped into my bag!!! I wanted to connect to the internet and went downstairs for the password. Couldnt connect initially which was my mistake but the duty manager and of all the people the chef helped me to get connected. Had a great nights sleep and went down to breakfast and had the full monty and it was just right. Eggs didnt have the burnt skin, bacon crisp and a sausage. Plenty of toast, jam and coffee. Breakfast was just as good the next morning as was my nights sleep. I can only recommend this hotel and cannot fault it in any way at all. If there was any possibility of negative comment it was that the hotel was a little tired but I was staying as a guest not living there full time. Dont be put off by the previous comments, the hotel is excellent and I would have no problem staying there again and probably will. Im sure everyone reading this will think the hotel has written this, not true. If you want you can email me at mag1118@gmail to verify these comments.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I don't know if it is possible to give minus stars for hotels, but if it were, then this hotel would get several. I knew I was doomed from the moment I walked in. I stood there at the reception for over 5 minutes and there was no sign of any staff, and whilst I was waiting I looked on the signing-in clipboard and saw the name "Mr Blobby" signed at the bottom - checking in only one hour ago...this is all true, but worse, and I recoiled in horror thinking about the health and safety issues which could arise from an 8ft tall, 3ft wide man bouncing around the corridor, completely out of control and screaming incoherently at anyone who got in his way.

But I laughed this off after a staff member had finally arrived to take my name and give me my keys. She smiled reassuringly at me, and for a moment i thought everything would be ok. But on the way to my room I took a look out of the corridor window and saw two old mattresses, a shopping trolley and a several bags full of things like old clothes, broken bottles, even a child’s doll that someone had taken all the clothes from... When I got inside the room I headed straight for the bathroom and disturbed a nest of pubic hair on the floor, and when I turned on the shower it nearly put me through the back wall which was also brown with dirt, and the only way I could adjust the shower nozzle so that I could actually stand inside the shower without being pummelled to the basin was to have it trickle out like some viscous drool.

As if all this wasn’t enough, when I finally got to sleep at 1:30am I was awoken around three and a half hours later by the fire alarm. The thing kept wailing for about 15 minutes and my thoughts turned to Mr Blobby again, jumping out of his bed in a sudden panic and crashing down the corridor in a frenzy of fear and confusion, barely able to stand up and screeching and grabbing at everyone else trying to escape as flames grew and twisted around them…horrible horrible…

The alarm went off every 5 minutes for an hour. It was like trying to sleep in a psychiatric intensive care unit. Then the 5 minute rings finally stopped and I finally started to fall asleep again – only to come alive again around 7am, as the godforsaken system wailed like a banshee one last time, like some terrifying midnight Last Post – a lone trumpet call in a lost battlefield.

The next morning I barely walked into the bar area to call for a Full English breakfast and a large jug of tea. I saw two staff members but neither of them mentioned the alarms and I started to question whether it had ever actually happened. So, after I’d finished my meal – which took a while, because I had to wait for my butter to defrost, eventually hovering it above the pot of tea – I went over to the reception to demand an explanation, for my own sanity’s sake more than anything. The employees who dealt with me said there was no management available and seemed genuinely apologetic and insisted I would definitely receive a refund, and that management would call me at some point to confirm this. The call came a few days later, but there was to be no refund. It was actually the manager this time, and she told me it was not the fault of the hotel, and there was nothing she could do about it. I protested a bit longer then hung up the phone, because a supermodel for Dolce and Gabbana was knocking loudly on my front door, and I had been waiting a long time to see her.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank ConquestFirst
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I had the misfortune of staying here for a Friday night in August, it was the day before my wedding and I needed to stay somewhere with my best man away from my wife-to-be.

When we arrived we had to wait 5 minutes in reception before a member of staff found us. When she approached she did not greet us with a smile or hello but simply said "your name?" Once we had checked in we walked past the empty reception to the bar where we had to wait another 5 minutes before the same girl appeared to serve us.

The room itself was dirty beyond any place I have ever stayed in. Firstly the bathroom floor had pubic hairs across it., the tiles around the shower were black with dirt and looked as though they had been for some time. One of the glasses provided to drink from was filthy. it had a white scum all over the inside of it. The tea spoon provided to use for making tea in the room had not been changed from the previous occupant and was covered in tea stains and where the previous person had, had tea the tea bags had not been replaced.

Not a great start you might think but things got even worse. At 5:00 in the morning the fire alarm went off across the hotel waking us and i'm sure everyone else staying there. It went off a further 11 times in the next hour keeping us awake. At 6:00am it finally stopped and by now I was completely awake, just as I was beginning to get beack to sleep it went off again, this time at 7:00am. I never managed to get back to sleep after this and so had the worst nights sleep of my life the night before I got married.

When we came down for breakfast nobody ventured an explanation or apology for what had happend and perhaps they were hoping we wouldn't mention it.

When we checked out I did mention it and th rest of the problems I had. I asked to speak to the owner or manager and I was told they were not there. The girl I spoke to said that I would be refunded and if I left my name, address and number the owner would contact me on the Sunday. By Tuesday I had not heard anything so I rang the Airman and spoke to the manager there. I again explained the situation and she told me she would speak to the director. 5 hours later she called back to say that the director had told her to tell me that I would not be refunded as the problem with the alarm was not their fault but the engineers who fitted it. I commented that they should perhaps look to recoup any refunded money from the engineers, she told me their was nothing she could do.

What annoyed me most is the director couldn't even care enough to ring me personally to A) apologise and B) explain the situation himself.

I would recomend that everyone should avoid this place at all costs as the after sales is terrible and the owner could not care less.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Letchworth
Verve Hotel
Verve Hotel
#17 of 18 in Bedford

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!