“I wouldn't go here unless I had to!!!!!”
Review of The Airman Hotel

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We are a family of 6 so we needed a family room. I had booked the room last october for my friends wedding. First impressions looked ok a bit tired def needs a facelift. The room was nice and spacious even for 6 of us. We were told we would need a extra fold up bed which was fine this was confirmed as we made our payment on arrival. However when we asked for it they didnt have any left. Not good enough i'm afraid.
During the wedding breakfast it was a very slow process I had to in the end get one of my kids to say we don't have a dinner. The staff were friendly but no way enough of them. The soup was nice and so was the mains however the chocolate torte was terrible it was so soft and almost mushy when it got to us ( it was a very hot day) but still this shouldn't have happened. The other annoying thing was you had to come out of the marque to get to the toilets it was a pain especially if you have young children
Next morning my husband went to go have a shower and it wouldn't work properly one minute cold water was pouring out then he would get a splash of scorching hot water.
Breakfast was ok. We had that and went straight home.
I wouldn't go there again!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

We apologise unreservedly for the poor service you experienced during your stay with us. We recognise there have indeed been some issues, and we have been listening. Since your stay the Airman has recruited new key team members along with staff training and essential and on-going maintenance. As ever we aim to improve guest experience, and are grateful for your feedback.
Sincere Apologies
The Airman Team

There are newer reviews for The Airman Hotel

Reviewed July 10, 2013

When I went to my room I found it already occupied by somebody else. This was a bit of a shock.

The food was generally poor: the pudding was really grim; at breakfast the white of the eggs was uncooked. Couldn’t find staff most of the time, the bedroom was unpleasant.

Room Tip: Book at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SLC_UH
TheAirmanHotel, Reception at The Airman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

The hotel would like to apologise for the mix up with your room. Reception staff have put new measures in place to ensure this does not happen again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This attractive looking pub offers no frills pub rooms. Our room was clean and a good size. The walls are thin, but we weren't disturbed during our one night there. An ironing board was provided quickly when asked. Tea bags and coffee sachets, plus milk, were not provided in generous quantities, but I have no doubt that we would have been given more if we'd needed the same. The TV was very small, so you will need good eyesight! We watched TV on our tablet (wifi is free), which was an easier option. There is no air conditioning and the pub is located on a roundabout - consider this if you need windows open. The curtains are thin - consider this in the summer months. Toiletries are very basic, but most people travel with their own these days - we do so this wasn't an issue. Our double bed had a good mattress. The single bed did not. We did not pay for breakfast, so cannot comment. The staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. This pub does not provide a luxury stay, but it doesn't promise to. The room rate would be excellent value for money if breakfast was included. If you need to be in the area on a budget, then this pub is fine. Unlike Beadlow Manor Hotel nearby. Steer clear of there. If you prefer corporate, then you may pay less if you book ahead for a Travelodge or Premier Inn etc., but you wouldn't get the convenience of a more rural location close to Hitchen and Shefford.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are small with sloping ceilings. Rooms at the front overlook the roundabout...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My parents came to visit this weekend and stayed here. They wouldn't ever again. They were met on arrival by a polite receptionist but when they asked her a little later on about a missing remote control for their tv, the woman gave them a key for room 27 and told them to go into room number 1 to get their remote. Dad found room number 1 empty but clearly occupied as clothes were strewn around the room, so he backed out fast. Safe to say when my parents left the room for the day they took all of their valuables with them.
They said their bed was lumpy, they tried to compensate by laying the extra blankets underneath them, it didn't really help. They would have preferred to have complained, but there was no one around.
They waited an hour for breakfast this morning after ordering it (sunday) as there was only one girl serving seven tables.
The cleanliness of the room was ok, but I'll upload a picture of their bathmat. I wouldn't bathe in there.
They described it as tired, noisy (you could hear the people in the room above and in the halls) and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank This-is-today
TheAirmanHotel, Reception at The Airman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

The hotel has removed all the non slip bath mats from the bedrooms and replacing with new ones. TV remotes have also been replaced. Refurbishment to the hotel bedrooms is due to start this winter to improve standards

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here because of attending a wedding nearby. Disappointed in the room, needs updating, sparse and gloomy. we had a room on the top floor with a gabled wall in the bathroom which meant you would need to be a 3 ft midget to use the shower. Nothing in the hotel worked. the TV wouldn't switch on, I had to beg and chase to get an ironing board. The beer taps needed new gas which the hotel never had, and the meals were miserable. It looked like the poor young man and young woman working were running round doing everything themselves, from reception to bar, to kitchen. Never going back I am afraid...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

The hotel has since employed a new head chef and we are very pleased with the general feedback of his new menu's. Additional staff are now on shift through our busier times of the day. The hotel has taken all other points on board to help us improve our service.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed there last night and the staff were very pleasant BUT- We were put in room 23 which was very tired and in need of repair and decoration, the table with the kettle on swayed from side to side which was dangerous and it had a double bed and 2 singles which all looked ok until bedtime when we got into bed and immediately had to get out because of the strong smell of urine. We took clean sheets off to reveal a very stained mattress, my husband went down to reception but nobody was there so we both slept in a single bed with the window open. Again my husband went to reception to complain and it was a cleaner doubling as receptionist who said she was glad we had complained so that matters could be attended to. We went into the bar for breakfast and whilst chatting to our family we saw a slug and trail under the breakfast table which we took a photo of.
Before leaving we filled out a complaints form which was in our room and on arrival home we had a call from the hotel saying that they were going to send us the bill for the mattress which was very upsetting. We showed our family the state of the mattress before leaving and it was bone dry and obviously been there for a long time and we cannot believe that the manager is trying to turn this around, if they do not want feedback then they should not leave forms out for guests to fill in. We will be taking this further and advise others to avoid staying there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As with some of the other reviews I was a little apprehensive about booking the Airman.
I checked in but the key wouldn’t go in the lock. I was given a larger room with no questions or hassle.
I’ve stayed in lots of hotels from less than 1* up to 5*. You get what you pay for. For the price I was impressed with the room, clean, bright and comfy.
The bar was well stocked (before the reunion arrived!) and the staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good.
Altogether I had a great weekend. The bar tab for room 29 has been framed :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
Travelodge Bedford Goldington Road
Champneys Henlow
Champneys Henlow
#1 of 1 in Henlow

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!