“Don't bother”

The Airman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Meppershall
“Don't bother”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My parents came to visit this weekend and stayed here. They wouldn't ever again. They were met on arrival by a polite receptionist but when they asked her a little later on about a missing remote control for their tv, the woman gave them a key for room 27 and told them to go into room number 1 to get their remote. Dad found room number 1 empty but clearly occupied as clothes were strewn around the room, so he backed out fast. Safe to say when my parents left the room for the day they took all of their valuables with them.
They said their bed was lumpy, they tried to compensate by laying the extra blankets underneath them, it didn't really help. They would have preferred to have complained, but there was no one around.
They waited an hour for breakfast this morning after ordering it (sunday) as there was only one girl serving seven tables.
The cleanliness of the room was ok, but I'll upload a picture of their bathmat. I wouldn't bathe in there.
They described it as tired, noisy (you could hear the people in the room above and in the halls) and uncomfortable.

2 Thank This-is-today
TheAirmanHotel, Reception at The Airman Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
The hotel has removed all the non slip bath mats from the bedrooms and replacing with new ones. TV remotes have also been replaced. Refurbishment to the hotel bedrooms is due to start this winter to improve standards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here because of attending a wedding nearby. Disappointed in the room, needs updating, sparse and gloomy. we had a room on the top floor with a gabled wall in the bathroom which meant you would need to be a 3 ft midget to use the shower. Nothing in the hotel worked. the TV wouldn't switch on, I had to beg and chase to get an ironing board. The beer taps needed new gas which the hotel never had, and the meals were miserable. It looked like the poor young man and young woman working were running round doing everything themselves, from reception to bar, to kitchen. Never going back I am afraid...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
The hotel has since employed a new head chef and we are very pleased with the general feedback of his new menu's. Additional staff are now on shift through our busier times of the day. The hotel has taken all other points on board to help us improve our service.

Travelers are raving about these Meppershall hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed there last night and the staff were very pleasant BUT- We were put in room 23 which was very tired and in need of repair and decoration, the table with the kettle on swayed from side to side which was dangerous and it had a double bed and 2 singles which all looked ok until bedtime when we got into bed and immediately had to get out because of the strong smell of urine. We took clean sheets off to reveal a very stained mattress, my husband went down to reception but nobody was there so we both slept in a single bed with the window open. Again my husband went to reception to complain and it was a cleaner doubling as receptionist who said she was glad we had complained so that matters could be attended to. We went into the bar for breakfast and whilst chatting to our family we saw a slug and trail under the breakfast table which we took a photo of.
Before leaving we filled out a complaints form which was in our room and on arrival home we had a call from the hotel saying that they were going to send us the bill for the mattress which was very upsetting. We showed our family the state of the mattress before leaving and it was bone dry and obviously been there for a long time and we cannot believe that the manager is trying to turn this around, if they do not want feedback then they should not leave forms out for guests to fill in. We will be taking this further and advise others to avoid staying there.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As with some of the other reviews I was a little apprehensive about booking the Airman.
I checked in but the key wouldn’t go in the lock. I was given a larger room with no questions or hassle.
I’ve stayed in lots of hotels from less than 1* up to 5*. You get what you pay for. For the price I was impressed with the room, clean, bright and comfy.
The bar was well stocked (before the reunion arrived!) and the staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good.
Altogether I had a great weekend. The bar tab for room 29 has been framed :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked into the Airman with some trepidation given its poor reviews on this site. However, it was conveniently close to a family party we were attending, was very reasonably priced,and offered us 2 cots at no extra charge, so we decided to risk it. We need not have worried. My daughter and son-in-law and their twins had an enormous room with a four-poster bed (plus the 2 cots), and we had a smaller double room which also had ample space. On arrival, my daughter had to ask for more towels but these were provided quickly. We both noted that only 1 tea-bag and 1 biscuit (plus instant coffee and a few milk sachets) were provided per double room. However, when we asked for more tea-bags and milk, again these were provided at once. The rooms were spotlessly clean and everything worked fine. On the down side, the carpets were very worn and looked shabby, and our room had no easy chairs.
We were happy with the full english breakfast, which was plentiful, and brought to our table by the waiting staff following our order (much better than the buffet-style breakfasts offered by most hotels which are invariably cold and congealed). The waiting staff were very attentive and understanding about the messy eating habits of toddlers.
We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay and would definitely go again, preferring the atmosphere to the large chain hotels.

Room Tip: The ones at the rear of the hotel have a nice view over the fields.
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here whilst working locally.

On the whole the hotel is ok. The staff are really helpful and friendly. But the things that let the hotel down is the rooms are in dire need of a refresh (for example: curtains tracks replaced as faulty, new tvs as one in our room looks as though a magnet had been put on top as colours were wrong which gave you had ache after a while, matresses are very lumpy so much that you could feel the springs)

On the plus side the staff are very helpful and accommodating and do everything they can to help you.

The cleaners are very thorough and methodical and rooms and hotel was very clean. On the downside they were cleaning (hoovering and banging or door) outside our room at half past 10 in the morning even though we were working nights and this was known on booking and had been in bed an hour.

The breakfast was good but the first day took an hour to come out after ordering. Was a lot better the second day. The last day we weren't coming back for breakfast and going home straight from work so the hotel kindly put the breakfast money towards an evening meal before we left and all we had to pay was the difference which is a brilliant thing for a hotel to do!

On the whole I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank joelthom
Winsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at The Airman as part of a wedding party. What a disappointment! I wholeheartedly agree with 515Marco's comments. I find myself writing these comments having tried to give the hotel the opportunity to address my issues. The response was a litany of jusifications with no apology for my experience. The message I got was not interested.

With the exception of the dining room the place is poorly maintained. My shower took ages to heat up and the shower head was covered in limescale, so hadn't been cleaned properly for a while. The TV had been tampered with so it was impossible to listen to let alone watch. My breakfast was luke warm, the bacon and sausages were chewy. Only one pot of tea was left out as part of the buffet for all guests to help themselves. I waited sometime for my breakfast order to be taken then to be served.

It seems they think saying they are a value for money operation is a get out clause for delivering poor service and low standard accomodation to a captive audience on the wedding package. Do yourself a favour and stay at Travelodge, Premier Inn or a local B and B and pay a fraction of the cost. Its a rip off!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meppershall
Days Inn Stevenage North
Longs Inn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Woburn
Holiday Inn Express Bedford
Hallmark Hotel Flitwick Manor

Been to The Airman Hotel? Share your experiences!