The Airman Hotel
$52
$68
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Letchworth Garden City Hotel(Letchworth)(Great Value!)
$68
The Crown Hotel(Biggleswade)
$54
Priceline
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Went for Sunday lunch and was very disappointed. It started off poorly as they only had 2 of the starters from the 3 on offer! Staff seemed to have been dragged in off the street. Anyway, eventually main course came (if u could call it that). There were 2 tiny pieces of beef, 1 small potato, hacked-up cabbage and filthy carrots. When we asked for some more veg, we were told they had run out of veg and beef (3 hours before service finished). At this point, we got up and left.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Bigbecks
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went to a wedding in August and booked a double room. After reading the reviews, I was really concerned into what we had let ourselves in for...
We asked for early book in and they were great, getting our room ready for us around 11am. The room itself was a little tired, but a good size. All the bed linen was in good condition and clean. The only downsides were the tired cream carpet which was dirty in places and the tv wouldn't work but honestly for the bargain price of £45 for a double room, we really could not complain. The staff were helpful and friendly. We didn't have breakfast but from what we saw, it looked fine. Don't go expecting the ritz and you will be ok

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night during August, the room was very average, but given we only paid £58.90 for a double room including breakfast it was fine.

The room was a bit shabby & needed some tlc - the desk was wobbly & there was a large hole in the wall; which had been filled with polyfiller, but not finished properly, the shower rumbled the moment it was switched on, making it impossible to hear anything over the top of it and it refused to maintain a temperature that was acceptable - either freezing cold or scalding hot, so not ideal.

The bed was reasonably comfortable and we had tea & coffee making facilities, so those were positives.

The major negative for us was that we were told on check in that breakfast was until 11:00, so we went for breakfast the following morning at 10:15. When we got there we were told that breakfast finished at 10:00. I complained and said we had been given incorrect information and check-in, this was met with a shoulder shrug. This was not good service, we were not even offered a slice of toast or something quick and simple to make up for their staff member's mistake. We were made to feel like it was our fault we were given wroing information.

Would I stay here again, it is very unlikely.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LMR29
Reviewed August 18, 2012

First things first. I've given this a 3 overall rating to give those chaps who know how to use TripAdvisor the benefit of reading a real review. When I'm looking at a place, I ignore the lowest scores and the highest to get a more representative feel.

This place is in urgent need of a makeover. If not purely for aesthetics, for health and safety.

The first room I was given had an electrical socket that as an electrical engineer (which I am), I would have brought the whole place to a grinding H&S halt. I maintain that a small child could have injured themselves severely because of the damage to the plastic housing that had not been replaced with a new, safe instance. Please see photo.

In this room offered, I was treated to dirty carpets and a bed that was on such a slope, I found it very difficult to sleep on. Bearing in mind I was in the area on business for a week, it was important I was rested, and that requirement failed entirely through the stay.

When I was moved to another room that did not have damaged electrics, I was treated to torn under sheets and then, joy of joys, when I went for my shower in the morning, the hot water tap came off in my hand, sending a jet of boiling hot water across the bath to the point it flooded the bathroom. I tried immediately to stem the flow of water but it was so hot, I couldn't. I called the duty manager via the mobile number displayed at the front of the hotel, and bless him, he came to my room on his day off, and with the hot water now exhausted, managed to reinstate the tap.

That particular room came with bedding that was torn and most uncomfortable to sleep on. Again, see attached picture.

From the bed, you'd have to have eyes like Annie Oakley to see the TV. Seriously, check out the dimensions of the TV compared to a Zippo ligher, and you're meant to watch this from 9' away!

The one night I was required to stay on late at work, I did my utmost to make sure I got back to the hotel in time for the advertised closing time of the restaurant (see picture). The time of closing was advertised as 2100, and I was back for 2050. I walked straight into the bar to order dinner as I had not eaten all day only to be told that because it was quiet, Chef had left half an hour earlier. I was given complementary peanuts for dinner in exchange... This truly sums this place up.

Steve the Kenyan Manager is an absolute find, and I only hope a more reputable establishment picks him up as he is a true asset to any business in the entertainment industry, but he is fighting a losing battle at this place. Similarly, Gemma on mornings serves breakfast with a lovely smile and best wishes for your day, but both these plusses do not balance out the ineptitude of the thinking behind the management of this place.

The Hotel is marketed as a nice place out in the Country, but the fact you're on a major traffic roundabout which all the local Lewis Hamilton's and Valentino Rossi's use to craft their skills all hours of the night seems to have been missed from the literature.

Even though I had been put through major inconvenience, and experienced down-right danger with the electrics, I was offered no discount. The more synical will say that it's for that reason I have written such a report, but that's not true. Even with a discount of down to next to nothing, I could not with clear conscience recommend this place. It is cheap, nasty, horrible, unreliable and with no better word to describe it, dangerous, and I could not in any good faith say it was otherwise.

Up to you whether you believe it or not, but I can assure you that neither I or my family shall ever set foot in this place again unless it is raining down fire and brimstone and this be the last haven on Earth.

Ignore this warning as you see fit, but don't ever come back to me and say you weren't warned.

Room Tip: Try anywhere else. Seriously, the money this place charges, there has to be a more convenient Premier Inn or similar locally... I'm now in a caravan site because it offers safer, more oppulent facilties than this place.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WeeFatScotsman
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed for one night here. The restaurant looked nicely decorated but only had one couple dining in it. The bar only had us in it and a very nice bar tender. However, the room was something else. On walking in the first thing to notice was the smell-musty and unaired. You could feel the springs of the mattress as you lay on the bed. The carpet was dirty and ill fitting with 'humps' in it. The kettle lid had dirt ingrained either side of it and was dirty on the outside. The window pane was cracked and the pane's seal was broken so traffic noise was a problem. Also, the walls were thin and next door slamming a door at 'silly o'clock' didn't help. I did suggest soft closing mechanisms. Hand basin unit had chipped formica on the edge.

Totally disillusioned I went to reception the following morning to find a note advising guests to go to the bar. On reaching the bar there was no-one to be found despite waiting several minutes. I have contacted 'The Airman' regarding the above issues.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
TheAirmanHotel, Manager at The Airman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

We are pleased that the service during your stay with us met with your expectations and that the restaurant and bar although quiet on this occassion were staffed with friendly and welcoming staff. Unfortunatley we were not able to address your concerns on check out. We have taken your comments onboard regarding the hotel rooms and are in the process of upgrading our bedrooms. We hope that you might visit us again soon to see the changes.

Mary Priddey