“Elegant and atmospheric”

Landgoed Duin & Kruidberg
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Santpoort-Noord
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Duin & Kruidberg is a gorgeous property. The estate is lovely and the new expansion was created with an ingenious eye to maintaining the classic, traditional feel of the grounds. Dining is exceptional and the conference facilities are top-notch. It's a remarkable place for a business retreat.

If you're going for personal travel, it's probably best to book a room in the old building. The new rooms are elegant and well-appointed and very modern, but lack the charm of the rest of the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mixup

Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a beautiful Dutch-style manor and hotel. This is a former home of a wealthy Dutch minister who even arranged to have a train station built nearby with his own money. The Suite is perfect, spacious, but don't go when it is hot (a rare event I. Holland) as there is no air-conditioning, just beautiful country breeze with open windows. And the Michelin star restaurant just makes this quite a romantic experience.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2012

One of the very best hotels for location, luxury, dining and service. I could easily go on about each of the main features, but there is plenty of information elsewhere, and I'm sure I'd run out of superlatives!

To us, the hotel has got it 99.9% spot on. Other reviewers have mentioned TV quality being a bit poor, but it didn't bother us - did we really want to see Holland lose all three matches in the Euros 2102? I don't think they meant the quality of the football, but the picture quality!

Overall, we believe that what really makes the hotel extra special is the exceptional level of customer service from all the staff. Every staff member in reception, management, housekeeping and the brasserie gave exceptional service in a genuinely friendly manner.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building overlook the lake and gardens!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Our family of four stayed at this wonderful estate in May as part of a Keukenhof trip. The weather was horrible, but it was the only downside to our nice stay. The Keukenhof package, including breakfast/dinner/festival entrance, offered by the hotel is certainly well worth it. We were offered a very spacious room in the new wing that easily fit two adults and two kids. I have to note that the hotel charges 25euro per extra bed/cot which is quite expensive, especially given the fact that most hotels do not charge for cots at all. The room and the beds were very comfortable. Brasserie DenK is small and decor is rather simple, but the dinner (surprise menu) was delicious and the service was friendly. As it was very cold, I tried to use the hotel's sauna to relax after spending a day outside. Don't waste your time, the sauna is a ridiculously small infrared kind of portable structure, which takes forever to warm up. A hotel of this level should have more proper amenities. The highlight of our stay was definitely the breakfast! Do not miss it! Wonderful selection of freshly pressed juices (strawberry, black currants etc.), cheeses, breads and of course, the champagne (well, cava, but nevertheless). It made our day! The staff was very friendly and courteous, smooth check out. This is a wonderful stylish alternative to staying in busy city hotels, and it is only 15 min away from Amsterdam by car.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tuchka
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great hotel, very scenic location and both breakfast and dinner were excellent. We've spend a view days in this hotel for a meeting with clients. Both classic and modern conference rooms are available. Hotel room was very nice (2nd floor) and equipped even with a modern coffee machine. TV quality was a bit poor, but there was no time to use it anyhow.

Room Tip: I was in room 203, it had a double bed and was located on the second (top) floor. It wasn't quit...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnG77
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The hotel is nice, the staff in the hotel were generally good, and the Michelin star restaurant attached is amazing.

Sadly though, our trip was marred by the experience with the hotels administration. Upon arrival, the front desk didn’t recognise our booking, and actually had us down to arrive 1 day later. We had booked using ebookers, but had exchanged emails with the hotel prior to our arrival to arrange a reservation at the (excellent) restaurant and for a travel cot. This was sorted fairly quickly, but sadly was a sign of things to come.

When coming to check out, I was firstly given a bill for a different room. Once that was sorted, the amount to be settled was somewhat more than I was expecting! I had pre-paid for the room with the Agent, and was fairly certain of the fact. The front desk were equally certain that I had not pre-paid though, so I agreed to pay on the understanding that I would be refunded if I could prove pre-payment. In fairness, this was all refunded a couple of weeks later, but isn’t exactly a great customer experience.

Added to this was a charge of €25 p/night for a travel cot – again, this was refunded when I was able to prove a travel cot had been included in the original booking, but there was no mention of a charge. No mention when I emailed the hotel to confirm the travel cot either, but as the charge was refunded I can live with that.

The final contentious issue has not been resolved though, and leaves a sour taste. The rate I booked with eBookers included breakfast, but I have been charged €20 p/head for the 3 nights I stayed to cover breakfast. Unfortunately the room confirmation on ebookers didn’t mention breakfast, and without proof the hotel have refused a refund. This is despite all the other errors that have been proven. Slightly more annoying is the fact nobody on reception or at breakfast ever mentioned the fact that there was a charge, and that (according to their systems) breakfast was not included in the room rate.

The hotel is in a beautiful setting, and the general experience was nice enough. Just make sure you take a copy of your booking confirmation with you ready for check-out!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Si_Bailey
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We paid 169-175 Euros per night for a very small room in the rafters. I didn't think much of the lamps made of branches. There were only a few small drawers, and so we had to live out of our suitcases. The heating was supplied by a space heater that went on and off all night. But what beats all was the sisal carpeting. We could not walk around in our socks, because the socks would become encrusted with fibers from the sisal carpeting. The building is spacious and elegant, I'll give them that. Another good feature is that the train station was a short walk away and there was a train that ran to Haarlem and Amsterdam every half hour.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irgendwo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santpoort-Noord
Apollo Hotel IJmuiden Seaport Beach
#1 of 13 in Haarlem
Grand Hotel Huis Ter Duin
Grand Hotel Huis Ter Duin
#3 of 27 in Noordwijk

Been to Landgoed Duin & Kruidberg? Share your experiences!