See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 5, 2017

Very nice location close to the country side. The meals (Dinner & Breakfast) were very good. There was good quality fee Wifi.

The staff are excellent, friendly and helpful.

The rooms are dated and definitely require some TLC and upgrades.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed February 7, 2017

Full marks for management and staff for their efforts to make the guest happy in this sprawling hotel complex, originating from the stud farm "De Oorprong" built in the late 19th Century. The hotel is situated off the road called "Huisterheide". It is easy to miss the drive to the hotel, because it starts precisely on the crossing with the "Langwarderdijk". Trust the sat nav. Parking is free at the parking spaces at the side of the complex. The reception, lounge and restaurant rooms are situated in the heritage main building. As I said, the service of the staff is friendly and dedicated. We had booked a "Boskamer". This room has a sort of annex as a seating area with a nice view of the woods behind the hotel. Also efforts were made by the management to make the stay in the room comfortable. Good beds and a very modern shower appointment with rain shower, separate hand shower and thermostatic tap. Free, unsecured wi-fi is available in the room. As the hotel is advertised as three star, in the room, no tea/coffee making facilities, no fridge and no safe are available. Understandable with the advertised service level, but a tray with an electric kettle and some tea bags and instant coffee isn't much extra and adds enormously to the room impression. With these remarks I have arrived at the argument, why, despite all the positive point mentioned, I can only award a three point rating. That is the room itself. The room gave a tired and depressing impression to me; maybe partly caused by the depressive colours and the out-of-date wallpaper pattern, but a refurbishment would not go amiss. For example, the modern shower appointment was in sharp contrast with the gloomy black toilet seat which has seen better days. The management tries its best to make the guest happy and comfortable and succeeds on many important points, but they miss some tricks in the rooms. But, keeping in mind the "missed tricks" I can recommend hotel "De Oorsprong" for the excellent staff and the good night sleep, as the location of the hotel is on a quiet spot in the woods.

Room tip: The "Boskamers" have an annex with chairs and a couch with a view on the woods
Date of stay: February 2017
1  Thank Hendrik_NL
Reviewed August 4, 2015

Stayed for 3 weeks in "de Oorsprong" (for the second time), so we could visit friends and family in the area .We were treated royally by owners and staff, could not find anything to complain about, even if we tried.
The service was excellent, the breakfast menu included lots of the foods we used to eat before immigrating to Canada, a rare treat indeed and made us feel at home.
The owners had breakfast ready at 6 AM the day we had to leave and even prepared a box lunch for us to take along.. Nothing but praise, highly recommended.

Room tip: room with seating area
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is in a quiet location and looks attractive from a distance. the hotel is it set back from the road which gives a good impression but we were very disappointed when we arrived to find a Very tired and dated hotel desperately in need of decorating and updating. It smelt of damp and our room very basic. We booked a room with woodland view but what their website doesn't show is this is an annexe at the back of the hotel which is very dark and damp. Dirty old carpet and furnishings in our room which i suspect is typical of the rest of the hotel. there is no tea or coffee facilities in the rooms. Breakfast was acceptable, usual choice of bread meat and cheese, cornflakes but milk was sour! The whole time we were at breakfast we didn't see one member of staff, so no greeting or attention from hotel management or staff. There was no staff on reception so we checked out by leaving our keys on the reception desk and left with the impression that customer service is not important to this hotel and staff! We have visited The Netherlands on several occasions and have always found hotel service very good,we were VERY disappointed at our choice on this visit made worse by the rate of 90€.

Date of stay: July 2013
2  Thank petraa2013
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am really puzzled by the bad reviews here. They don't fit in with my experiences at all.

My wife and I stayed here for one night. I arrived late (and had lost my mobile phone) and my wife was somewhat worried that the kitchen would close before I arrived. But she was very impressed by the re-assurances of the staff that they could always cook something simple, whatever time I arrived.

In fact I arrived 10 minutes before the nominal closure of the kitchen at 21:0), but still had time to enjoy a very pleasant meal. The food is traditional dutch cooking, but prepared perfectly and using good quality ingredients. The bar area and restaurant are both very attractive. Breakfast is served in a glass covered patio area.

Our bedroom was small, but had a very attractive glass sitting area looking over the woods. The rooms and the bathroom showed their age a little, but were perfectly clean. So while I wouldn't class this as a luxury experience, it was all very pleasant.

We left very early in the morning before breakfast. The hotel insisted on giving us two packed breakfasts, which they hung on our door knob. First time that has ever been offered to me.

Service throughout was efficient and friendly. Location on the edge of some woods is very attractive. Wi-Fi worked well, we didn't try the free version offered since we have an abonnement for KPN.

We will definitely go back.

Date of stay: May 2013