“Dilapidated and damp and poor customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Oorsprong

You added Hotel de Oorsprong to your Saves list
Hotel de Oorsprong
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Huisterheide 7, 8521 NC Sint Nicolaasga, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sint Nicolaasga
Monmouth, United Kingdom
“Dilapidated and damp and poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is in a quiet location and looks attractive from a distance. the hotel is it set back from the road which gives a good impression but we were very disappointed when we arrived to find a Very tired and dated hotel desperately in need of decorating and updating. It smelt of damp and our room very basic. We booked a room with woodland view but what their website doesn't show is this is an annexe at the back of the hotel which is very dark and damp. Dirty old carpet and furnishings in our room which i suspect is typical of the rest of the hotel. there is no tea or coffee facilities in the rooms. Breakfast was acceptable, usual choice of bread meat and cheese, cornflakes but milk was sour! The whole time we were at breakfast we didn't see one member of staff, so no greeting or attention from hotel management or staff. There was no staff on reception so we checked out by leaving our keys on the reception desk and left with the impression that customer service is not important to this hotel and staff! We have visited The Netherlands on several occasions and have always found hotel service very good,we were VERY disappointed at our choice on this visit made worse by the rate of 90€.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Petra A

Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am really puzzled by the bad reviews here. They don't fit in with my experiences at all.

My wife and I stayed here for one night. I arrived late (and had lost my mobile phone) and my wife was somewhat worried that the kitchen would close before I arrived. But she was very impressed by the re-assurances of the staff that they could always cook something simple, whatever time I arrived.

In fact I arrived 10 minutes before the nominal closure of the kitchen at 21:0), but still had time to enjoy a very pleasant meal. The food is traditional dutch cooking, but prepared perfectly and using good quality ingredients. The bar area and restaurant are both very attractive. Breakfast is served in a glass covered patio area.

Our bedroom was small, but had a very attractive glass sitting area looking over the woods. The rooms and the bathroom showed their age a little, but were perfectly clean. So while I wouldn't class this as a luxury experience, it was all very pleasant.

We left very early in the morning before breakfast. The hotel insisted on giving us two packed breakfasts, which they hung on our door knob. First time that has ever been offered to me.

Service throughout was efficient and friendly. Location on the edge of some woods is very attractive. Wi-Fi worked well, we didn't try the free version offered since we have an abonnement for KPN.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We stayed here on our wedding day. A perfect day untill we came at de oorsprong. We didn´t know where we would stay, it was arranged by friends. We came in the hotel at night, and were told to take the door on the side. Probably this was de wrong door, because the alarm went of. Within 2 minutes the owner arrived, shouting "Are you crazy stupids!, what were you tinking?"... Uhmm, we just took the side door.. but it wasn;t the right one. Was this our fault? Don't think so. Anyway, the owner was shouting and threating us ( he wanted to kick us out), he almost attacked me, it was very scary! Can you imagine what this felt like? I was in my wedding dress for god's sake!
Next morning, no excuses were presented, we got a bottle of wine for our wedding day, that was that. The room was nice (because our friends placed some suprises), but this hotel owner is just insane! So if you want to have a nice relaxing stay in Friesland? Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dien22
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

We booked through [--]

The Oorsprong is located in southern Friesland, just off the major highways but tucked away in a forested area which is quite rustic and beautiful. The hotel was quite nice, with a great restaurant (admittedly, slightly pricy -- but worth it), and a comfortable sun room which serves for the good breakfast buffet and a good afternoon cafe.

The room was large and quite comfortable. The bathroom and shower room were a bit small, but sufficient for a hotel. We went for one of the "boskamer" rooms with a private sunroom looking out into the forest -- I highly recommend this if any are available.

A few minor annoyances, which all in all didn't detract from the hotel's charm:
* the wireless internet was relatively pricey, compared to other hotels we stayed at in the Netherlands (as well as business hotels I've stayed in in the US)
* the wireless didn't quite reach my room at the end of the corridor, so I had to go into one of the public areas to use the internet to upload photos, read email, use VOIP, etc.
* some areas of the hotel could use a bit of sprucing up - minor paint touchups, etc.

In general, though, we were quite happy with our stay here. The staff were helpful, the room was comfortable and easily situated for motoring about Friesland, Overijssel, or Flevoland, and the food at the restaurant was excellent.

• Liked — Natural ambience
  • Disliked — Internet abilities should be upgraded and cheaper/gratis.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel de Oorsprong? Share your experiences!