See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I was on my way back to the UK after staying in beautiful Tuscany, but was brought back down to earth with a bang when staying in the Postillon. It`s right off the motorway - which was the reason I stayed, as I`d been driving all day and was tired. The Receptionist told me the price quoted on the tariff was wrong and added quite a few Swiss francs on, and as a Solo traveller I ended up paying about £110 for a room that stank of smoke. I did ask to be moved to a no smoking room and was given keys to a room that smelt worse, so I opted for the first.

It is exactly like living in a time warp, but not in the charming sense. The decor is late 70s, The only ventilation was the balcony door - a few hundred yards from the motorway - so earplugs a must. The receptionists were fine but resigned. Breakfast was OK, but doesn`t equate to their literature of `royal`, everything was rather shoddy, and after having paid 65euros the night before for the most beautiful room in a hotel in a Medieval Italian village - with a Michelin recommended restaurant overlooking Tuscany - it didn`t make sense in any way. I would avoid this overpriced Hotel at any lengths.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Alibed
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights, each way on a trip to Italy and Greece by car. The hotel is right along side the main motorway heading to the St Gotthardt tunnel, so is very easy to find and convenient if that is your route. In future, though, I'd go elsewhere. Why? Well... most of their business appears to be tour groups and the service we received was poor. The receptionis frosty; not rude or impolite or unhelpful, just cold and clinical. The rooms on the lake side have a good view; those on the other side ave a view of the motorway crash barrier. The restaurant is dreadful. The chef seems to think that adding huge amounts of salt to all the meals is a requirement. The service in the restaurant is abysmal and reminiscent of "Fawlty Towers". And then breakfast: I was concerned as to what would happen to me if I didn't do exactly as I was told! I've stayed in many hotels in the German part of Switzerland and many don;t quite seem to get the hospitality part of the business, but this was by far the worst. We only stayed on the way back because it had been pre-booked.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stopped overnight here on our way to Italy. The hotel is near to the main road and has excellent views overlooking the Lake. It is worth upgrading to a suite which comes with an excellent double size bath.

Food in the restraunt is good. Staff friendly and most speak English.

Only minor point is that the decoration is starting to look a little tired and could do with updating.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Kent_England_Sjw
Reviewed October 6, 2007

We stayed here for 1 night, on our way back from Italy. The rooms were very clean and the restaurant was evn better. The view from the hotel is beautiful.

The staff was very friendly and all spoke very good English.

I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2005
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank VTPFlorida
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Having just tried 2 other hotels in the same area one of which we left after discovering it did not have heating system ( that was to be paid extra !!!! ) and both rated 4 star ( in this part of switzerland the 4 star rating seem to be given even to the most basic place ) we finally had to settle for the postillon as it was almost 11 at night which even in the height of summer is very late for this part of the world .This place classified itself a 4 star and although from the outside looks like any other pretty swiss chalet on the edge of a very nice lake ,which to be fair has impressive views ,as soon as you step in you are thrown back to an era that human kind has left back in the last century...shabby and cheap mid 70's deco.. The rooms are rather small and with wafer thin walls so you can hear anything and i mean anything...you are right underneath a motorway ,convenient if you are travelling but unbereably noisy all night and really that's it.
The breakfast included is vile to put it mildly and the waiting staff will make sure you will get completely ignored and any of your request even in the most feeble and basic german will be dismiss with a " nein ! " even if you are asking them to set the table which we did ourselves in the end.
This hotel is mainly used by traveller which like us i guess were too tired to even argue about the nearly 200 Francs ( 120 pounds or there about )a night that this place charges .My complains in the morning were simply address with "Thanks for your comments "accompanied by a clearly sarcastic smile.
Give this place a complete miss as it is rather awful but don't be tempted to go to the nearest village either as the hotels there are even more disappointing and as equally expensive for what they really are !

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple