“Central”
Review of Hotel Kaktus Albir

Hotel Kaktus Albir
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in L'Alfas del Pi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My husband and I along with our daughter stayed at the Kaktus for the second time April 10th until May 8th,we love this hotel,so much so ,we are going back for a third time later this year.
Apart from the fact that we had 150 young socialists in the hotel one week end for a convention and who kept us and other guests awake until 3am for two nights with their shouting and screaming it was a lovely holiday.
The food is excellent,such a variety and the theme nights,British fare on a Tuesday,Norwegian Thursday,Sea food Friday and Tapas on Saturday are wonderful. We found the staff to be very pleasant,in the dining room Miriam who speaks excellent English is so nice and Jose,William,Janet ,Paco and Juan all deserve a mention as do the bar staff,Juan number two,Ignacio,Benny and the others were very friendly toward us.Yes you do have to get the Saga inclusive drinks at one end of the bar, no problem though,not true that you have to sit in a certain place,you can sit any where in the lounge and tv room with your drinks.
Some thing worth mentioning was that the hotel started providing free Wi Fi whilst we were there which was a great help to our daughter who had her lap top with her.
Some of the balconies in the centre of the hotel do face each other but we ask for a room on the outside of the building and which ever room you have you get a lovely view of the ocean and beach.
We had no problem with the front desk either,Christian was so very helpful,even taking charge of my iron until our next visit,remember folks,the smile that you give is the smile that you get.
I think that we were on our twenty fifth Saga holiday and this is the only hotel that we will have stayed at three times,the lovely representative Valentina who'm we have had at four different times in different Saga hotels contributed greatly to our enjoyment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank barlick18
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Where to begin with the awful experience I had at this hotel. I have just spent a week at this hotel after much confusion over bookings and prices. It took 3 attempts to make the booking (after an attempt to charge me an extra €400 to original quote). I advised the lady I could book elsewhere for the original quote and the booking was confirmed at last.

Arriving at 9.45 pm with a hungry 3 year old i was told there was no food to be got anywhere in the hotel ( dinner claims to be served until 10pm ). Other guests travelling on the same flight did however have food available to them. I encountered the rudest receptionist ever. When asked could he recommend anywhere to eat locally he simply shrugged "not my problem".

Rooms were ok, not by any means luxurious. I requested a ground floor or lower floor as I was travelling with a young child, we were on the 5th floor. Balconies are almost on top of each other and we were unlucky that ours had no sunlight after 11 am. Very disappointing but not to blame on the hotel.

Fridge cost 10 euro to unlock - for a 4 star hotel this is strange. it is by no means child friendly, the advertisement is very misleading re pools and seating areas. When I did venture to the tiny lagoon at the front of the hotel, we found a dead baby bird floating along beside us, the roof terrace pool wasnt much cleaner.

The staff were outrageously rude, the worst I have ever encountered. We were like aliens from outer space. The spanish guests were showered with attention, when I approached the reception desk ( the few times I attempted to ) I was barely acknowledged nor were my requests dealt with.

I have to say the highlight for us was the food, good variety and good quality. This in no way excuses the negatives. Would never return to this hotel nor recommend it. The local area is beautiful and thankfully I focussed my attention on exploring the area and enjoying the fantastic weather we got.

I was amazed to see a tripadvisor 4 star rating proudly displayed at reception, my experience was dreadfully negative.

Room Tip: I would request the "altea" suites, these seem to get maximum sun exposure. Also there is...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank orlaghj
Shaftesbury
Reviewed April 29, 2012

we have just spent a week at The Kaktus, this was our 10th saga holiday ,agree with other reports Found the staff very anti saga especialley the bar staff & having to buy bottled water which has never been done at all the others we stayed in, The entertainment was the same every night with awful singer. The food was very average, & at weekends hundreds of Spanish meant there were long queues. The balconys were very close opposite so not many people were using them.The location of the hotel is very good right opposite a lovely promonade, & we had very good weather so we did enjoy it but we will not be returning, To have a bath you had to be a contortionist as there was a glass screen which meant you couldn't reach the tap or the plug unless you got into the bath,

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ann B
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Lovely hotel, beautifully clean, lovely bright bedrooms.

Just returned from a weeks holiday( 3rd April-10th) and I was with Saga for this holiday.

This is the first time that I have had to buy bottled water and pay a deposit for beach towels. !!We were supposed to have had fresh fruit in our rooms but we never received any. The food was good but always just tepid and if we complained we were pointed in the direction of a microwave....not good enough.The bar staff were the rudest, ignorant people I had ever met. I walked up to the bar to order drinks and was told " You are Saga...you come here and sit there" and we had a small allocated area in which we were only served at. The other guests were waited on and had free peanuts with their drinks. We really were treated like second class citizens!!The entertainment was watching the Spanish dancing ballroom dancing every night with the same dire singers. It was awful! One evening we had a show but it was after the dancing finished after 11 pm ( by which time I had lost the will to live) It was also freezing in the lounge areas and I didn't fancy sitting in my coat until the small hours!We did have a film night one evening. The film was "Out of Africa"! Meryl Streep was around 19 years old in it....shows how old the film was. Again, not good enough.

The hotel boasts an outside pool and sitting area....very tiny and simply inadequate

Would I go back??? Not in a million years

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor on the sunny side
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank 53posyrosie
blackburn
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Just back from the kaktus.Its a fantastic looking hotel on the front at albir.The major fault is the awful "entertainment" the same awful singer night after night.With it being early in the season Albir was very quiet so you couldnt go any where else .The hotel only caters for the local spanish and if you were with saga you were treated like second class as reported EG. You couldnt get a cofee you were told to get one from the machine-why?We had paid top whack for the holiday you would think it would run to a fresh coffee! The bar staff were rude .The food was good lots of it .On an odd occasion not up to scratch but they did try to keep you happy.Rooms large and spotless.Now for the saga rep Valentina, What a star! A lovely person who helped make the holiday.Thank you Valentina.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left it gets most sun
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank boyscoutblackburn
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were lodged in the Kaktus Albir by the organizers of a sailing event in Altea where I was an official. So I didn't pay for the stay, but nor did I choose the hotel. The hotel is on the traffic-restricted seafront of Albir, which is a pleasant half-hour walk along the promenade to Altea. This part of Albir is well planned and laid out, compared with brash Benidorm on the skyline.

The hotel's design is refreshing different. Instead of a boring block, it is W in shape, with most rooms having a balcony and sea view. The dining room takes up most of the hotel's footprint at basement level, with the glazed and airy public rooms above on the ground floor - real architecture for a change. The bedrooms are all off internal balconies in attractive covered spaces.

Our room was spacious and air-conditioned, with two large twin beds, a sofa and table. The heated towel rail for the bathroom worked independently from the room heating, so you can sleep cool, but with a tropical bathroom when you need it. Shower temperature was somewhat variable, with a quick step back needed when it went too hot or too cold - clearly not a thermostatic system.

You can access the internet either in the ground floor internet room, or on your own laptop in your room via an ethernet cable which the hotel can provide. (I didn't try this, as I was told there was a charge for use, and I could get wifi for free elsewhere).

As noted by other correspondents, the TV arrangements are not very up-to-date, with a CRT analogue-only TV with English channels limited to BBC World Service and Sky News (plus of course other channels in Spanish, German, Italian and French).

With a huge choice of buffet breakfast, I should think that half-board would be sufficient for most people. Three things were mildly annoying. First, the bread cutting board is right in front of the conveyor-type toaster where people are supervising the passage of their bread. So everyone is trying to occupy the same small spot. Secondly, the machine coffee was only just about passable. Third and worst, here in a landscape where oranges grow in profusion, the 'orange juice' was the cheap syrup and water dispenser-type. There are now excellent instant fresh orange juicers in cheaper hotels than this one. So why not here?

I could not fault the dinner buffet arrangements. Indeed, I was sorry that my commitments meant we dined there only twice in a week's stay.

Reception staff were pleasant, efficient and friendly, Room staff were also cheerful, and lightning-fast to make up the room.

As I wasn't paying, I cannot comment on value for money, but other clients seemed very happy with the deal they were getting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel SH Villa Gadea
Magic Robin Hood
Magic Robin Hood
#6 of 14 in L'Alfas del Pi

Been to Hotel Kaktus Albir? Share your experiences!