“Hotel Kaktus”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in L'Alfas del Pi
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Hotel Kaktus”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Lovely hotel, beautifully clean, lovely bright bedrooms.

Just returned from a weeks holiday( 3rd April-10th) and I was with Saga for this holiday.

This is the first time that I have had to buy bottled water and pay a deposit for beach towels. !!We were supposed to have had fresh fruit in our rooms but we never received any. The food was good but always just tepid and if we complained we were pointed in the direction of a microwave....not good enough.The bar staff were the rudest, ignorant people I had ever met. I walked up to the bar to order drinks and was told " You are Saga...you come here and sit there" and we had a small allocated area in which we were only served at. The other guests were waited on and had free peanuts with their drinks. We really were treated like second class citizens!!The entertainment was watching the Spanish dancing ballroom dancing every night with the same dire singers. It was awful! One evening we had a show but it was after the dancing finished after 11 pm ( by which time I had lost the will to live) It was also freezing in the lounge areas and I didn't fancy sitting in my coat until the small hours!We did have a film night one evening. The film was "Out of Africa"! Meryl Streep was around 19 years old in it....shows how old the film was. Again, not good enough.

The hotel boasts an outside pool and sitting area....very tiny and simply inadequate

Would I go back??? Not in a million years

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor on the sunny side
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank 53posyrosie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
blackburn
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Just back from the kaktus.Its a fantastic looking hotel on the front at albir.The major fault is the awful "entertainment" the same awful singer night after night.With it being early in the season Albir was very quiet so you couldnt go any where else .The hotel only caters for the local spanish and if you were with saga you were treated like second class as reported EG. You couldnt get a cofee you were told to get one from the machine-why?We had paid top whack for the holiday you would think it would run to a fresh coffee! The bar staff were rude .The food was good lots of it .On an odd occasion not up to scratch but they did try to keep you happy.Rooms large and spotless.Now for the saga rep Valentina, What a star! A lovely person who helped make the holiday.Thank you Valentina.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left it gets most sun
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank boyscoutblackburn
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were lodged in the Kaktus Albir by the organizers of a sailing event in Altea where I was an official. So I didn't pay for the stay, but nor did I choose the hotel. The hotel is on the traffic-restricted seafront of Albir, which is a pleasant half-hour walk along the promenade to Altea. This part of Albir is well planned and laid out, compared with brash Benidorm on the skyline.

The hotel's design is refreshing different. Instead of a boring block, it is W in shape, with most rooms having a balcony and sea view. The dining room takes up most of the hotel's footprint at basement level, with the glazed and airy public rooms above on the ground floor - real architecture for a change. The bedrooms are all off internal balconies in attractive covered spaces.

Our room was spacious and air-conditioned, with two large twin beds, a sofa and table. The heated towel rail for the bathroom worked independently from the room heating, so you can sleep cool, but with a tropical bathroom when you need it. Shower temperature was somewhat variable, with a quick step back needed when it went too hot or too cold - clearly not a thermostatic system.

You can access the internet either in the ground floor internet room, or on your own laptop in your room via an ethernet cable which the hotel can provide. (I didn't try this, as I was told there was a charge for use, and I could get wifi for free elsewhere).

As noted by other correspondents, the TV arrangements are not very up-to-date, with a CRT analogue-only TV with English channels limited to BBC World Service and Sky News (plus of course other channels in Spanish, German, Italian and French).

With a huge choice of buffet breakfast, I should think that half-board would be sufficient for most people. Three things were mildly annoying. First, the bread cutting board is right in front of the conveyor-type toaster where people are supervising the passage of their bread. So everyone is trying to occupy the same small spot. Secondly, the machine coffee was only just about passable. Third and worst, here in a landscape where oranges grow in profusion, the 'orange juice' was the cheap syrup and water dispenser-type. There are now excellent instant fresh orange juicers in cheaper hotels than this one. So why not here?

I could not fault the dinner buffet arrangements. Indeed, I was sorry that my commitments meant we dined there only twice in a week's stay.

Reception staff were pleasant, efficient and friendly, Room staff were also cheerful, and lightning-fast to make up the room.

As I wasn't paying, I cannot comment on value for money, but other clients seemed very happy with the deal they were getting.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Trevor046
Beaminster
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We had 2 weeks with Saga in the middle of March. Our room was sunny as it faced south. The hotel was very clean and tidy, and we loved the variety of food over 2 weeks. If you arrive for dinner at the start, everything is piping hot. The only failing we could see was an old analogue TV set in the room, with only BBC World Service and Sky News in English. We were disappointed that smoking was allowed on balconies, which could be irritating.
This was our 12th Saga hotel and rates the best of the bunch.

Room Tip: The hotel is U shaped, with the beach across the top of the U, with south to the right of the U. So...
8 Thank Martin R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was our 3rd trip with Saga so shows we think it is good also we will be back next year! The Hotel is perfectly placed for disabled people as the prom is flat & clean. It was wash down most mornings. The food was very good, not only when the Spainish people where there! There was something for everyone with a very good choice. If you didnt want a full English breakfast there was cold cuts, smoked salmon ect. The lunch & main meals always had meat or fish +lots of good salads. The staff were very friendly & enjoyed helping you with your spanish. Especially Paco. The housekeeping & reception staff were friendly & helpful though I would agree the bar staff should be told that Saga customers do pay for their drinks with the cost of their holiday. The people who payed at the bar or had table service were treated with respect & given peanuts with there drinks. Not that I wanted peanuts but it shows Saga customers were treated as 2nd class. I didnt give them tips because of this though tips were given to the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: The rooms on the road side have the sun but can be noisy so I take ear plugs. All rooms have a sea v...
3 Thank molb43
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

hotel is spotlessly clean, right on the sea front with good views food was good and a excellent variety ,staff are very helpful. there are some lovely walks close by and all on the flat no hills

5 Thank BRIAN M
Bangkok
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm amazed at reading some of the bad reviews on here as I stayed at the Kaktus Albir with Saga last year and had a superb holiday. The food was excellent, the service was good and the staff, if you actually talked to them, were nice.

Yes, you have to pick up your drinks at the bar if you are with Saga. So what? It doesn't take much effort to stand up a couple of times a night and yes, the coffee Saga gets from the machine is disgusting, the worst coffee I've ever drunk. But you do have the option to pay for a better cup at the bar now and again, or you can drink the hot chocolate, which is what we did.

We also noticed some people on our Saga trip last year expecting five-star treatment from bar staff but not even tipping as much as 1 euro the whole month. I travel with my parents and we tipped almost every time we got drinks (1 euro for 3 drinks, not bad I'd say) and so, no, we never had a problem with the bar staff. If some people did, my guess would be the bar staff got tired of being treated less than politely by people who think they are privileged because they paid for an "all-inclusive holiday".

The all-inclusive does not apply to the bar staff who make a huge percentage of their salary on tips. When Saga travelers can't even hand over a couple of euros now and again,yet expect to be treated as well as other guests who ARE tipping, the bar staff is basically working for you for nothing. Imagine how you would feel. You might not be overly friendly either.

My only complaint about the Kaktus was, for the standard of hotel I would have expected free internet, as other hotels in the area offer it. The price the Kaktus charges for it is ridiculously expensive.

Overall however, we loved the Kaktus Albir so much we'll be back for our second time for another month in April. I can't wait. Staying at the Kaktus was one of the best holidays I've ever had, and I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Magic Robin Hood
Magic Robin Hood
#6 of 14 in L'Alfas del Pi
Hotel SH Villa Gadea

Been to Hotel Kaktus Albir? Share your experiences!