“Best 2 Star Hotel I have come across anywhere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Mar

Eden Mar
“Best 2 Star Hotel I have come across anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Just to set the context, my rating of Excellent is based on hotels in the 2 star category rather than all hotels. Were I putting it in the range of all hotels and pitting it against 5 star hotels, I would award it 3 out of 5 to represent the fact that the hotel is, as far as I am concerned, better than most 3 star hotels I have stayed in and certainly puts most UK budget hotels to shame. I am a co-pilot for one of the UK's leading budget airlines and have stayed in my share of hotels, so I am happy to say I can find nothing to complain about here as far as the hotel is concerned. HOWEVER, there is one proviso: the resort as a whole is not a party/nightlife resort - certainly, in the vicinity of the hotel (within 15 minutes walk, everything was closed by 11pm local). This was fine for me, as I was only there for a few days of chillout on the beach and to sample the local food and drink. I was told by one of the regulars (who do tend to have a little more than my 32 years of wisdom on the mileometer>;o)) that there is a night club within taxi distance that opens until 3 but didn't have a chance to see it for myself! If you don't want to pay for a taxi from the airport, you have to take a bus to Alicante town, then a bus from there to Guardamar (total cost about €6 total time about 2 hours max gate to door because of the connections etc). On the plus side in terms of location, the hotel is across the road from a large supermarket and 5 minutes walk from a nice beach.

On the subject of food, the hotel does a nice selection of homemade tapas in it's comfortable restaurant/bar at a very reasonable price. 3 euros for a pint of Cruzcampo (beer) and a €1.50 per glass of nice Rioja. At one point, I had a fanta, a wine, a coffee and some tapas and was amazed when the final bill of only €4 arrived! I had one evening meal in the hotel and this is the source of my only minor criticism. My burger was very nice, but the chips were a little lukewarm. At €4.50 for the lot, I really wasn't that bothered! The buffet breakfast in the hotel is entirely adequate for the €4 per day I paid for it. There is a good range of restaurants of all calibres in the area, but as I was on a budget, I tried Jaen Pension. I had read the reviews and wasn't disappointed. Fine dining it is not - more of a busy cafeteria type atmosphere, but €9 for 2 large and enjoyable courses and just about all the wine I could drink was fine by me!

In terms of facilities, there is a cluster of free of charge key operated safes at reception and reliable free wi-fi all over the building. There is a lift to all floors and a solarium and hydrotherapy jacuzzi on the roof for a charge per hour, which I didn't use.

The room itself was averagely sized and clean, with a nice bathroom including bath, bidet and hot shower. There were some sachets of shampoo etc but I had brought my own. Complete with small flat screen TV and a modern remote control operated air conditioning unit. My small balcony with clothes drying rack overlooked the street and an adjacent building and let in plenty of light. Everything I needed really.

The review wouldn't be complete without mentioning Carlos. I'm not sure if he is the owner or a manager of the hotel (my fault as I was in a quiet contemplative mood on the break and didn't engage him in much conversation), but he is a star. I did not meet him initially when checked in, but when I saw him the next morning to enquire about the safes, he immediately knew what my room number was with no introduction. He was friendly and extremely eager to help, to the extent that he would even recommend restaurants in the area despite having one in the hotel. He is a great example to his colleagues, who were also friendly and courteous.

Overall, for €26 per night (I paid 22 with crew discount), this hotel is an absolute steal and was ideal for my short, quiet and restful break. I highly recommend it to those looking for a similar type of holiday.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Garry B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
from London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at Eden Mar for 3 nights with two friends. It is a great two star hotel 5 minute walk from the beach.

The staff are lovely and will go the extra mile to help. Food is really nice and cheap. There is a big supermarket (Mercadona) opposite the hotel in case you need to buy anything. The only downsides were the hairdryer (bring your own!) and the extra bed (mattress was not comfortable).

In terms of dining, do try the cafeteria at the hotel Eden Mar as the food is lovely and affordable. If you fancy eating by the sea, I would recommend La Cañada restaurant 10 min walk (by the sea). Do not try the restaurant opposite the hotel, Casa Paco, food is disappointing and expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Monikafromlondon
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Trip advisor 2013 award winner Carlos and his staff deserve it. If you want a modern soulless hotel then don't come here! The building has a few scratches and bumps here and there but that doesn't seem to matter. It is spotlessly clean and there is fresh linen and towels every day(although these could be a little fluffier on your sunburnt skin! Would still recommend and return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank northamptoncouple13
Alameda, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We where not expecting to much with the Eden Mar, being a 2 *. But we where in for a very pleasant surprise, its situated on a main street, With a large supermarket oppisit if needed. We had a lovely large family room on the 4th floor the first thing I do before I unpack is check how clean it is, ( and if it dosn't meet with my standard of cleanliness I'M out of there) I can honestly say it was cleaner than some 4* over here. we where only staying 2nights but would recomend it to anyone wanting to stay longer.The Breakfast was a cold buffet type lots of freshly cooked pastries meats,cheese, cereals.Ect that suited us. there was as much freashly squeezed orange juice as you wanted. I can't say enough about the staff ( brilliant). no miserable faces here.especially Carlos, it was a pleasure to meet you. After the first day we where treated like freinds. the bar/cafe is frequented at breaksfast, lunch, and evening by local spanish residents. ( if the locals use it it must be good value ) After Breakfast we walked straight down the rd for 5min and we where on the beach. We will be back.

Room Tip: ask for corner room, its always a bigger room.plus if there is a bar underneath ask for as high as p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank foodieclevelanduk
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good ratio price/quality. Near a supermarket and a beach , very pure and conveniently. Really good Spa on a roof. Reliable Wi - Fi. I advise to those who looks for inexpensive and comfortable beach tour.

Room Tip: ask at a reservation if there is number which doesn't front the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Banstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This little hotel is 5 minutes from the beautiful beach. It is family run and the staff are all very friendly. It is basic, but the price reflects that. The rooms are cosy and breakfast is the same continental fare every day - plenty of the same. On the roof is an excellent solarium - settees, wicker chairs with huge cushions and sun beds, with an unheated jacuzzi to cool down in. All in all this hotel gives very good value for money. If you are looking for luxury it isn't for you, but at the price there is nothing to be disappointed in.

Room Tip: It is on a fairly busy side road, but there was never any real noise intrusion.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well Done Carlos the roof top spa is superb a lovely relaxing place to sit of an afternoon. We had a wonderful 5 days with you and will be back next year. Friendly service and lovely clean rooms with a balcony great.

Room Tip: rooms over looking avenida mediterraneo have view of the sea
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel Levante
Hotel Levante
#2 of 9 in Guardamar del Segura
4.5 of 5 stars 74 reviews

Been to Eden Mar? Share your experiences!