“Fabulous, good fun and very entertaining”
Review of Restaurante Jaen

Restaurante Jaen
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Sat down and within minutes a huge plate of salad arrived in front of each of us. The two huge jugs of sangria. A moment later a huge bread basket with a delicious garlic drip arrived. By now we are all astounded we havent ordered a thing but have happily been drinking and munching away for 15 minutes.
You the order two courses and my god they are filling and really tasty. You get a choice of desserts and coffee for 9 euros its amazing.

You must try this place for the atmostphere and the experience.

For those who have complained, how rediculous. I enjoy fine dining at least twice a month at home but i thouroughly enjoyed my dining experience here. Loved it

1  Thank Arkley67

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love this place for soooo many reasons.
First one is the price... but not only.
9 euros for a "menú del día" (starter, main and dessert and drinks) is something you can still find in many other places around Spain, but here you are really spoilt for choice. Maybe 20 or 30 starters and same for the mains is something you don't normally see.

Second thing is the fact that you can find generous amounts of local vegetables in their dishes.
I love vegetables but I'm quite often disappointed while going out for a restaurant in the Alicante area because they tend to be a bit short with the veggies... Vegetables are really cheap fresh and tasty in this part of Spain, so why serving two artichokes or one slice of tomato? In Casa Jaén you won't have this problem.

Third thing is the atmosphere. Vicente, the owner, is extremely friendly and (whenever the place is not packed with people) will come and have chat with the customers, very often he also brings freebies you didn't order, like an extra dish to share or some garlic bread, extra wine...

As somebody else pointed, it's mainly peasant food, but still. Their chard crêpes are really nice, and if you get to go there during winter/spring, don't miss their artichokes.

They have a local house wine (totally natural), that many people buy to take away (1,20 for 1 liter!)

I've been to Casa Jaén many times and will surely be coming back again and again and again.

1  Thank rpm75
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great evening good food and great value. Our second visit . Dont miss a chance to try this out 56 euro for 6 people. ...

1  Thank Supergrumpyoldgit
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a typical Spanish cafe/restaurant in a typical Spanish town. The premises are divided in two.One side is the cafe-bar and the other side is the restaurant.Although to be honest apart from the bar both areas are the same.

The venue is as described with ceramic tiles on the floor and walls and a very old cathode ray tv on a bracket at ceiling height.I am not a smoked and the odor of cigarettes was in the air.

They have the most comprehensive menu del dias I have ever seem. Starter, Main and Dessert all have thier own side of A4 paper and it is in small print. At least 30 choices for each one.

Menu del dias was 8 euros per person. The most expensive item on the a la carte was mixed paella at 6 euros which I had.

The food in general was excellent.It is all peasant food and very basic with no frills and you get what you pay for and no more.......except the Paella.

Paella is one of my fave dishes around the world.I had the mixed paella. This consisted of chicken, rabbit, large prawns,shell on prawns, razor clams, clams, squid and octopus. The consistency of the rice was perfect. The outside of the dish where the rice meets the pan was slightly caramelized and was sweet. The bottom of the pan was not burnt. All the seafood is fresh and on display and not frozen.

Without doubt the best paella i have ever eaten on my travels around the world.

The house wine at 4 euros a bottle was also excellent. I went for the blanco,very crisp and tart and perfect with the fish and chicken.

Seven of us dined and the bill came to 54 Euros.

To sum up. The place is very clean although smells of cigarettes. The owner runs around like a headless chicken but he gets things done.Great value for money.Service was slightly slow.

I would visit again just for the paella but I wont be for many years as I have many more places to go and see.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Really bad food and bad service. I can not recoment to go there. Only good thing to say it, that it is cheap and we at least not got a bad stomage. We gave 18 Euros for food and drinks, and it sounds cheap - but is it cheap if it only is worth 1 Euro?

1  Thank Karsten K