“Really Amazing!”
Review of Masia Sumidors

Masia Sumidors
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This 400 year old farmhouse in the middle of a National Park is really amazing! A very relaxed and special Hotel, a romantic retreat in the middle of the Garraf hills, with lovely views and very charming rooms. Every room is different decorated, I love the African one...
Hosts are very friendly and helpfull. I recommend it to everybody, for a romantic getaway or a relaxed family-vacation.

Mònica & Joan

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had read good reviews of this place and so were very surprised to find out how it actually is. Due to the absence of the owners we were requested to check ourselves in to a small dark room with an unpleasant shower room (peeling silicone, sticky shower curtain etc). Two dogs were fighting in the entrance yard where beer crates were piled in a corner. The pool has no surrounding terrace or grass -just baked earth contributing to the dusty feel of the outside furnishings. In general the cleanliness and maintenance left much to be desired. We didn't stay but decided to file a complaint - this was not possible to do in the Tourist Information office as this establishment was not on any of their lists - not surprisingly as it would not meet their requirements. This establishment appears on web pages as a three star hotel and it is not. I have read complaints about the road but we are used to country roads - the worry would be getting out in an emergency as there is only one way traffic and in an area where fires are a threat this would be a real problem. Our recommendation would be to see the place before paying any deposit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nicola G
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were planning to spend time exploring Barcelona but found this place and the surrounding area much more interesting! The road up to the hotel is an issue but after 4 days we found we had stopped worrying about it. The room was dark but in an old building this is to be expected and in the middle of summer would be cool. The hosts could not have been more helpful suggesting places to eat and also excursions which we would not have found on our own. We also ate in the hotel a couple of times so that we could both relax - the food was plentiful and delicious. it was too cold to swim in the pool but we sat and watched the sunset from a patio area every evening. Yes, some of the outdoor furniture is a little worn, but for us that was part of the charm. We would go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 710Anna
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have had the pleasure to stay at this unique place in May 2013 for 10 days.
The hosts Iain and Erik had been the most caring and lovely people, taking good care of me and this stunning venue. It was really nice for me to get away from a hectic citylife to this rual and charming Hotel, with magnificent views into the nature. The individual and cosy rooms, the wonderful garden and the pool - all this small details are giving this place a real "soul".
And not to forget the fantastic dinners in the evening!
All together with the close distance to Sitges and beaches it was my perfect holiday destination.
I felt welcome and almost like home from the very fist minute. I will come again later this year and I can only recommend this Hotel for a ultimative get away and relax experience in the spanish sunshine.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is fantastic!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bernd H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We finally found the hotel and did not puncture any tires on the hire car ! Success! What we found was not what we believed that we were going to get ! We were supposed to have 2 rooms together one for my wife and I and one for our two sons. We were shown one room on the second floor and one on the ground floor! The comment that threw us was that we should lock the main door to the "hotel" when we go out or to the swimming pool ! The hotel is, after all in the middle of the rolling country miles from other inhabited areas. One other thing the place is definitely a setting for "birdcage" and Not child friendly - Neil - part owner who met us - smelt heavily of stale beer and was scantily clad. We had paid in advance - a mistake! We hastily left and found a nice place to stay in st pere de ribes - you guessed we didn't get our money back

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank 4MarkK
Sumidors, Owner at Masia Sumidors, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

We never met these guests - we considered them to be no shows.
They wished to arrive on a Sunday which, as we explained to them, is our day off. We offered them to use our self check-in service which they agreed to: quote "Thanks for the info - look forward to meeting you on the Sunday or failing that the Monday". The reservation confirmation message that was sent to them clearly states that the 2 rooms they booked were across the corridor from each other - not on different floors. The message states that the front door should also be locked for the security of other guests - the hotel is located in the middle of a Natural Park and we frequently see people hiking past on the public road to, and past, the hotel.
I am assuming the somewhat homophobic remarks about the 'Birdcage' refer to 2 gay couples that we had staying at the hotel on the day of these guests' arrival. I would recommend that anyone with such homophobic tendencies not choose to stay in hotels close to Sitges.......
Having got my name (Neil) from the corespondence we had when making the reservation, they have then used it to claim that I was there to meet them (drunk, smelly and scantily clad, no less). Had they met me, they would surely have noticed that my shoulder was injured and my arm in a sling after a cycling accident I had had just a couple of weeks earlier.
Our reservation terms & conditions state that there is a 100% cancellation fee in the case of a no show. These T&Cs were also agreed to.
I requested that this review be removed as a) the guests never stayed b) there are false statements contained in their review c) the homophobic nature of part of their review however it has been deemed acceptable by TripAdvisor.....

Reviewed April 30, 2013

4 days at Sumidors: loved it and looking forward to return.
A very special relaxed place, wonderful hosts, great food, charming rustic bungalow just next to the pool (too chilly in April to dip in though ...)
We both spend too much time travelling for work in typical luxury hotels & so individual charm in beautiful nature off the beaten track is what we cherish when given the choice to spend quality time - and this B&B feels like home away from home.
Very acessible for day trips to Barcelona, Sitges, Tarragona with our 8yr old - and back to chill & for dinner with a mixed crowd of intriguing guests and conversations. Many thanks Ian & Eric - hope you enjoy a lovely warm summer!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank N W
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Well.......it is lovely BUT I have to agree with the reviews that say a bit of love care and attention should really be put into the rooms, and pool area especially. The views are lovely of course but the chairs etc are literally falling apart. The rooms are dark but it's an old building and very charming etc.....but they are extremely dusty and in need of a real spring clean to say the least.

Meal times are a nice time although I had expected the cheering standard to ,be a bit higher. It's a bit hit and miss.

Overall we had a great holiday but felt that the place needed an overhaul. We also felt not completely welcome....it's a place that people come back to and I would not call the owners natural hosts or very adept at welcoming new guests.

Tricky as we did have a good time. Wouldn't go back though. Shame.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family