I booked a last minute all-inclusive "allocation on arrival" type deal. Due to the lateness of the booking, I was able to get the hotel details before departure. As you can imagine, when I googled the hotel name I was bombarded with negative comments and immediately tried to make a U-turn with the agent. She re-assured me saying that we were able to use any of the H-TOP hotels facilities, so if we weren't happy with the Platja Park we could always go to the sister hotel for meals, drinks etc. etc.
Transfers went without a hitch and initial impressions of the hotel on arrival were good. Very clean lobby and rooms, although couldnt get the aircon to work on the first night. A quick word with reception and got the room cool after making sure the patio door was closed and setting the thermostat to 30deg. (???). Safe requires a 24Euro deposit of which 10Euro was refunded on return of the small plastic safe fob.
Rooms were very basic, but extremely clean. The maids came and replaced towells bedding, toiletories on a daily basis and were very friendly!!
Food was excellent. Breakfast included continental, fried, cereals, croissant etc etc. Lunch consisted of lots of Mediterranean style salads, pastas and a grill was serving meat or fish on a daily basis. Dinner much the same - A good spread of food (Something for everyone!).
Drinks plentyful although only one small bar (Pool bar didnt open) which could get busy in the evenings. Local brew was draught Estrella (5.4%abv) - (A few of these during the day on an empty stomach and you knew about it) Any drinks taken outside to the pool are were served in plastic cups (for obvious reasons).
Hotel facilities were basic but sufficient. Pool and surrounding area fairly cramped although I guess may not be an issue depending on time of year.
1. Hotel is very clean. The dining area, rooms and lobby were cleaned on a daily basis
2. The bar staff, maids & dining staff we met were very nice. We were very polite and we were treated very nicely.
3. Food was very good. REMEMBER the hotel is geared towards the Spanish & French market so the emphasis is on the meditteranean diet. Lots of salads, pastas, veal, pork and fish / seafood. If you want to eat like a brit expect fast food all day you've probably come to the wrong place.
4. Swimming pool very clean. Crystal clear and no sign of any surface debris.
5. Drinks plentiful. Although served in small plastic cups (Around 200ml maybe) you could get 2-3 drinks per 'All-inclusive card'.
1. Hotel is probably not a 4-Star by UK standards, probably more 3-Star. Guests when we stayed consisted of 50% Spanish, 30% French, 10% Dutch, 10% Brits.
2. Swimming pool unheated and very cold! You get used to this after a while although can be a shock to the system.
3. House red wine is served draught and very cold (Is this a Spanish thing?) I suggest ordering the bottle at lunch / dinner if you like you red wine nearer room temperature.
4. Queue at bar in the evenings can get busy, so be patient. I suggest loading up during the day or taking a walk to the nearby town for your evenings drinking.
Other than that - very pleasant trip. To be honest I don't know what all the fuss is about ?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star H·TOP Platja Park hotel is a family oriented hotel, located in the lively city of Platja d’Aro, Costa Brava (north-east coast of Spain), and it is just 550 metres from a sandy beach. It is situated at 110 Km from Barcelona – El Prat Airport and 32KM from Girona Airport. Platja d’Aro is a fairly small town that attracts many tourists as it has many things to do for the entire family: shops, colorful cafes, traditional Catalan restaurants, and entertainment attractions including water parks (Aqua Diver), funfairs and playgrounds. The modern 208-rooms offer plenty of fun activities and relaxation comforts for adults and children. FACILITIES Rooms • Social room (ping pong, billard, etc. • Restaurant • Bar • Swimming pool • Sun terraces Children • Miniclub (really is children's activity room ) • Baby cots and chairs Spa area • Sauna • Fitness room Staff • 24 hour Front Desk services • Multilingual staff Others • Facilities for guests with disabilities • Meeting & banqueting spaces • Currency exchange • Car hire* • Fax & copy service* • Medical service (external service) • Air-conditioning • Heating • Safe boxes (in each room) • Wi-Fi • TV plasma • Luggage storage (coin lockers) • Showers for check-out • Lifts • Bikes & quadricycles* • Parking* *Some of these services are extra or require a deposit (ask at the Hotel) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your H.TOP Platja Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Platja Park
- H.TOP Platja Park Costa Brava/Platja D'Aro, Spain