“the setting makes it”

Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Platja d'Aro
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“the setting makes it”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

i would classify the hotel as "good" if that rating option had been available. to me it was not "very good" but "average" seems a little harsh.

my first impressions were that the hotel was beautiful. the terrace was lovely and the hotel cats were very welcoming. the view from my balcony was to die for.

however.............once the balcony door was shut, the room quickly started to smell of cabbage and the receptionist said the air-con was not working in my part of the hotel which meant reopening the door at night and risking the mozzies getting at me in the night, which they did. and the possibility of the cats or an intruder climbing over the railings. it was so hot in my room that i didn't care!

the bathroom had seen better days. the roller blind at the window was filthy as was the damp-smelling corridor leading to the lift and the lift itself.

there was a kettle in the room with two teabags. when i asked reception for some sachets of coffee and some milk, i was told no. it never bothers me when there is no kettle in hotel rooms abroad. i do not expect it, but when one IS actually there, i would have thought the usual assortment of sachets would be there to go with it otherwise what is the point.

the buffet breakfast was the most substantial i have ever seen anywhere in the world ever and the food at dinner was excellent too.

the outside seating area was spacious and clean and the service was good from the bar staff who came out to take orders and bring food and drink.

the steps down to the two coves were difficult to negociate and very steep with damaged steps and no handrails in places. they provided a good workout for my glutes but hammered the knees.

i was at playa d'aro at christmas and would really have preferred a hotel nearer the cafes and bars. the walk into town was not difficult or long but seemed endless in the 30+ degrees we had.

Room Tip: avoid the lower corridor with rooms 700 - 705. the balconies are easily accessible from the lawn, t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jax D
SilkenSanJorge, Quality Coord. at Silken Park Hotel San Jorge, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
We noted all your comments and suggestions, and we will take them into high consideration.
Our airco is closed when the temperatures in autuwn are not over 20º so that is why you only could have fresh not freezing air, in the same way the heating is not on when we are over 22 (this rules are international and "green" minded).
We already started the annual improvements so we will solve any trouble that your room could have, nevertheless if you mention at the moment we can solve it whenever be possible. Also the stair access to the beach will be completely renovated, as you suggested. We noted your comments about the new complementary tea service, nevertheless we see it as a simple welcome gift, thinking that our guest can order all tea, drinks or meal possibilities with cost from our room-service.
Thanking your contribution and looking forward to your next visit, best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Mistley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

You feel good just walking around this beautiful hotel, with its wide spaces, pale colours, light filled rooms and fantastic setting. The staff for my 3 night stay were welcoming, professional and worked so hard to make our stay a good experience. It didn't matter that my room was a bit small, because the view and the sound of the Mediterranean under my window was food for the soul. Although staying at the end of October, we had two hot days and spent one on the beach. The food was good and breakfast was hugely varied and lavish. The town is a 10 minute walk away and worth exploring.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting this lovely part of Spain

Room Tip: Ask about size and location of rooms when booking, as I think they vary
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We thank your kind contribution, we hope it helps to other people to discover our loved Costa Brava. Looking forward to your next visit, best regards!
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at the San Jorge for five nights from 26th-31st October and I have to say that it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Not entirely without fault but overall very pleasant and I would not hesitate to visit again or recommend it to a friend or family member.

We stayed in a "comfort twin" room with a sea view which was located on the top floor (room 273) and had a small balcony. The room was spacious and the two beds (which were pushed together to make a "double") must each have been over a metre wide so the overall bed size was large and we found them very comfortable and enjoyed good nights' sleep throughout our stay. Although we did not make use of it the mini bar was well stocked and we found it useful to keep our fruit juice and cheese in! There was ample storage space with a large double wardrobe and storage shelves along with a good safe.

The bathroom was well appointed and only down-side was the disappointing water pressure in the shower. The shower head itself was looking in need of replacement as some of the nozzles were blocked/broken/missing making the water flow a bit erratic but this was a very minor point and didn't really detract from our enjoyment of the room in any major way.

The housekeeping was faultless and every day we came back to a spotless room and any toiletries used had been replaced along with fresh towels (a point here to the management - there is a note to say that, to help with the environment, any towels left hanging up would not be replaced but those left on the floor would. We always hung the towels up and they were replaced anyway!).

The public areas were very pleasant although I felt that the lighting in the bar/cafe area was rather too bright. The lounge area was was nice with plenty of seating available although I suspect that in high season it may have been different. The breakfast room/restaurant was large enough to accommodate a good number of guests but without feeling like you were in a holiday camp dining hall. Again, I suspect that in busy periods you may have to wait to be seated but it was not an issue when we were there.

We found the breakfast more than acceptable with good choice and availability. There were scrambled, fried and boiled eggs, bacon, sausage and tortilla. A selection of cereals, cold meats and cheeses, croissants and pain au chocolat and three different fruit juices. Coffee was from three guest operated machines and these were, as far as we were concerned, the only problem in the morning as they were either extremely slow or gave very small amounts - or both so getting a decent sized cup of coffee could be rather time consuming.

We only had one evening meal in the restaurant and found it satisfactory. The quality and presentation was good although we did feel that it was, perhaps, a little expensive. The service was good - attentive without being overbearing. We also had one meal in the cafe on our first night and this was rather disappointing - I ordered a spiced steak pie but perhaps the Spanish definition of pie is entirely different as what turned up was five small pieces of meat and grilled red pepper for which I was relieved of nine and a half Euros!

Outside the grounds were pleasant and tranquil being divided up into several distinct areas. Although we didn't make use of it the pool looked very inviting. The two small coves below the hotel were also very pleasant and secluded and, when we were there, virtually deserted. The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful and spoke excellent English

We did not make use of the spa so cannot comment on it. The fitness room was well equipped with good quality equipment.

Overall we found our stay at San Jorge a very pleasant experience and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to a friend and will certainly consider visiting again.

The only thing we would do differently would be not to bother with the evening meal as we felt we got better value for money at restaurants in Palamos and other local towns/villages. We would also ask for a room further along the corridor (room 268 or above) as our room was in a corner and did not receive any sun on the balcony until later in the morning - although that could be a plus in the hotter months!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room otherwise you'll get no sun in the room at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SilkenSanJorge, Quality Coord. at Silken Park Hotel San Jorge, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We thank your kind and complete review, and reccomend you to book a Shore Room in your next visit as it has direct views to Sant Jordi cove and nice sunlights!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Location is superb. Views can't be beaten. Our room was spacious with a small balcony overlooking the terrace and the two coves below. View so fantastic it's become my screen saver. Luxury toiletries in the bathroom and a good breakfast with lots of choice. Lovely lounge areas, friendly, helpful staff, however, Spa circuit though fun was lacking somewhat. Shower much too hot...scalding...difficult to regulate, final aromatic shower not particularly aromatic but why I would be hesitant to repeat the Spa experience next year (yes I will book again) was that, sadly, the wonderful spa bath was scummy and the sauna smelled a bit of...well....old mops and dishcloths.

Room Tip: Top floor facing sea.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SilkenSanJorge, Quality Coord. at Silken Park Hotel San Jorge, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We thank your kind comments and will check those details at Spa area, as they can be easily fixed. Look forward your visit next year and enjoy our Spa circuit in the best conditions!
Azille, France
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First may I say that the room and view were absolutely lovely. However, for me that was the only good things about my 2 night stay. I asked when I booked in on Thursday was there a possibility of booking a 3rd night. I was told without Carlotta even looking on her computer fully booked. Funny that because when I enquired late Friday night for the following night they did have rooms available and surprise surprise both our rooms were available but at full price. They would not budge on price even at 8.30pm Friday night. I am actually glad because I ended up booking another hotel in tamariu which was so much better overall.
The hotel was very very busy which normally is not a problem but it just felt so manic in the restaurant for breakfast. There was plenty of food but it was all quite cheap and nasty...the cooked food looked dreadful. They ran out of fresh oranges for the machine by 10am on Saturday morning and the breakfast should go on until 10.30am.
Diner on Friday night was the worst meal I have ever eaten in an hotel. The restaurant is very bland, no decorations and once again the head waiter was running around like a headless chicken as were the staff and I do mean running! We got white wine with no ice just plonked on the table. I had to ask for bread and honestly the little amuse bouche we were told was mozzarella was actually very strong fish. The dessert sounded lovely: strawberries with balsamic and yogurt ice cream. The strawberries were actually floating in cheap balsamic vinegar with no sugar-impossible to eat.
I relayed all my complaints to the assistant manager on Saturday morning as I was leaving. Well quite honestly he did not give a dam.
We did use the Spa on Thursday night for 10€ . I know 10€ is nothing but although it is lovely , it is very small and my friend and I had to share with 6 huge Russian blokes and 3 other couples so it was a bit to cosy for comfort so we cut our visit short.
I found all the staff without exception most unhelpful and I would not stay here again . My only saving grace was that I got the rooms very cheap.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen J
SilkenSanJorge, Quality Coord. at Silken Park Hotel San Jorge, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We are sorry that our hotel and the service provided was not good enough to your expectations. After speaking with you in person I took note of all these comments, as they allow us to continually improve and give a better service in a future, but maybe you would have appreciated some kind of compensation instead. In any case know that we will take the measures to correct what we have done wrong, that is the aim of our quality system, and we thank your visit.
Platja d'Aro, Spain
Reviewed October 21, 2013

right now at the pool, lovely scenery, hot weather (we are from north:) don't have enough words really. we had long weekend in march and just wanted to come back, here we are for a week. great golf courses near-by, girona airport just 20min drive. 15min walk from downtown platja d'aro, thus away from masses. just great

Room Tip: sea view on the pool side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your nice comments, looking forward to your next visit!
Skye
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

A very special location..room with balcony overlooking a beautiful cove. Great breakfast,pool and beach. The only negative is the lack of vegetarian food for dinner ..fish is on the menu as the vegetarian option and although they offered alternatives we weren't inspired by veggie burger,pasta with tomato sauce or salad for €25 per person for 3 courses. Our plan had been to relax at the hotel for 3 days,but this made us have to go out to search for restaurants which was a big disappointment but overall a very good hotel.

Stayed October 2013
We have a special selection for coeliacs and vegetarians in the menu with more of 20 courses on choice, but obviously we are not a vegetarian restaurant and our offer maybe is limited, although our efforts to please all kind of clients. We hope that we will have the chance to serve you again in a future, and do not hesitate to contact us in advance to prepare a special menu adequate for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platja d'Aro
Salles Hotel & Spa Cala del Pi
#1 of 2 in Santa Cristina d'Aro
Hotel Bell Repos
Hotel Bell Repos
#3 of 33 in Platja d'Aro

Been to Silken Park Hotel San Jorge? Share your experiences!