“Nice Location, Very Tired Hotel”

Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Castelldefels
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Being on a business trip I really only want to sleep in the hotel, otherwise I am working, usualy not a problem except here.
The walls are so thin that you hear everything, the doors to all the rooms slam, the floors are tile so that you hear all those beside, above and below you when they walk, the toilets flush like a waterfall so that the rooms above and beside are heard, same with the showers.
Needless to say I could not sleep very well.
The decor is older and very tired, I had a room out the back; room 038, looking into an old quarry and a broken fence with weeds and a rat trap, one small window was all I had in the room.
The room was big, the bed was comfortable and the free WLAN was a plus, although very slow.
The breakfast was very disappointing; cold powdered eggs, cold bacon and sausage and not much of a choice other than that, granted I did come late so it may have been better before.
The coffee machine was putting out only water, I guess the coffee beans were empty.
The waiters were busy elsewhere so that there was no one to ask. I grabbed the last 3 boiled eggs and left frustrated.
All in all an ok hotel for business travelers but I would not suggest if your looking for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank stevenekuhn
GSoteras, Propietario at Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Guest

We appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. The truth that we always want to improve and try to make customers feel at home during their periods of leisure .

As for the negative points we take into account and see to fix urgently.

Thank you very much.

There are newer reviews for Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I had to find place near to Barcelona, or in Barcelona below EUR100 per day. This hotel was the only option. All others were too expansive, or had poor quality. Better to have car, as shops, beach ar in 10-15 minutes walk. It is OK to go from hotel. But as it situated on the hill, your way back would be not so easy. But the view from our terrrace was really beautyful, so it was worth. Notice, that some rooms have garden view which is less attractive. To reach city center by train would take 30 minutes (5euro round trip). Go till Garcia station (not Santos). Notice that on the way back there are 2 stops in Casteldeffels, one is the main station; second "playa", which is yours. Some trains do not make stop at "playa", so check the schedule.
Negative is that they do not offer transfer to/from airport, which is only 10 km from hotel, but some how costs EUR70 per round trip. Breacfast is expansive, so we did not tried it.

Room Tip: Take city view room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alexdomin

Dear Customer

On the subject of the transfer to the airport , it is an issue that we are assessing to offer as its own service hotel , and all that time , this is an external service to our company.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at gran hotel rey don jaime. This is probably the most horrific hotel I have ever stayed in. It was dirty, my room had an infestation of bugs and it was extremely far from Madrid. We left and booked ourselves into another hotel it was so foul. They should have their license taken away. They shrugged their shoulders when I told them about the bugs and wouldn't offer another room. They said we will spray. This place would make motel 6 look like the four seasons.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Vlwolchok

Dear Customer

We welcome your comments , and all we think you did not stay in our hotel Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime as we are located in Castelldefels, 600km from the city of Madrid.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, some parts are older and tired but our room was lovely and very spacious with excellent wifi. The only thing I would of liked would of been a balcony.

Castelldefels isn't that great, the beach is okay?? The restaurants are okay. Nothing special about the area I found at all and then the horrific walk back to the hotel is a killer or €7 each time by taxi.

Disappointed in general with stay but that isn't anything to do with the hotel which is beautiful, stunning views and perfect pool.
Great room service if needed and very friendly.

If the hotel was anywhere else I would return but no point for me as just not enough about castelldefels that would make me want to come back.

If you're just wanting a hotel stay and not to leave the accommodation then yes it's perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Customer,

We welcome your views on the service and the hotel will help us to improve and correct all those things that do not work correctly.

We also appreciate your views on the town of Castelldefels, everything that was not entirely to his liking. In this case we can say little because as in many cases in life, there are people who love and another that does not like much.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just back from this hotel and honestly I would not revisit. Firstly, I would not rate this as a 4 star property, more like a 3star.. The hotel is in need of some help. The decor is a little dated. I booked a double room and ended up with twin beds. I asked the hotel to push the beds together and was told 'not possible' . My friends who were in the next room had their beds pushed together .But apparently as our room according to them was not in the right Wing of the hotel it was 'not po ssible'. when i pushed the point they eventually offered to change the room.i moved rooms. i met another couple who also had the same problem and also had no joy with assistence with changing the room, so they asked for double bed sheets and were told 'not possible'.This was the only answer we got for most requests.The restaurant service was the worst experience there was no service at breakfast, we had clear our own plates and there was no chance of the hot breakfast going cold , as it was already cold in the first place. I don't think the staff know what a smile is or what customer service is. Think twice before staying here.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Disneypie

Dear Customer,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013. We were given a room in the older part of the hotel with a beautiful southerly view through the pine trees out to sea. Sadly the walls in this part of the building are paper thin and the riser shaft in the bathroom which goes directly to the neighbouring room bathroom didn't help. The result was that I could hear every (and I do mean every) noise made by the two British chavettes in the next room. That they were visiting Barcelona on a ''cock 'n' Cava'' weekend became abundantly clear by the nature of their all-to-audible conversations. I brought this to the attention of the chap on reception who was all too happy to move us to another room in a quieter part of the hotel, this time with an equally pleasing northerly view. Breakfast was included with our deal and was superb- the Spanish sausages being a particular highlight. As with all establishments on the continent, the tea was appaling so I wasn't too unhappy that there were no tea trays in the rooms. The crowning pinnacle of this hotel are undoubtadely its gardens. How many others can boast of a castle next to their pool? I would happily return to this hotel, but would ask for a quieter room in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joe f
Toni L, Propietario at Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Customer

We are very pleased to have had a good time in our hotel and we were able to enjoy their time with us.

See you again.

Gran Hotel Rey Don Jaime

Reviewed April 8, 2013

On top of a hill looking down on Castelldefels and at the end of a steep , uphill winding road, this hotel looks good from the front. It's split into two blocks - old and new - and having stayed in the old, I can say that area was a little tired. With a decent pool and common areas, this is not a "big" hotel so lacks some of those touches. As stayed b&b, couldn't attest to the quality of dining but looking at the menu, it was somewhat pricey and restaurant was not well patronised. Breakfast was buffet style and was good...decent range & choices of cold meats, cheeses, Catalan cakes etc and pricey coffee "pod" machines guaranteed coffee just as you like it. The folks who worked here were all very pleasant and helpful.... The walk to and from is not for the feint hearted, so you may need to taxi or car hire. The beach is not far away and Barca city centre a short-ish train ride in from the local station. All in all, not a bad hotel at all - but not what you could call great value for money...adequate would sum it up for me...

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank chris b

Dear Customer

We welcome your comments and your loyalty to our hotel. In particular we extend its congratulations to all our staff as one of our main goals besides meeting their expectations is to reach for a customer value with the most personalized treatment possible.

Similarly we say we will look to improve the points that we discussed in your opinion.

Hope to see you soon new