“A very pleasant surprise to find this place”
Review of Barstro - CLOSED

Barstro
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise to find this place”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We had just arrived in Nazaret, having flown in from the UK, we were hungry & were delighted to find this restaurant, top quality food & service, not cheap but good value.

• Visited January 2014
Heidi B, Public Relations Manager at Barstro, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review!
Kindest Regards

Hexham, United Kingdom
“Over-rated”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We tried this place purely on the strength of its Tripadvisor rating 1/27 in Teguise, as our villa was about 5 miles away. We were disappointed. It comes across as an upmarket restaurant and the waiting staff are very solicitous. The food is quite fancy - almost cordon bleu - but while the quality couldn't be faulted, it was nothing special. What put me off was the way the waiter after giving us a menu, listed the night's specials without mentioning the price, which prompted a bit of a surprise when the bill arrived. Okay - you expect to pay a bit more for something special, but 11.95 for 4 scallops seemed a bit over the top when the other starters were around five euros each. If you want a posh restaurant in the area this is obviously the place to come, but we ate much better and more cheaply at other restaurants in the area.

Visited February 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your opinion, and while we do not aim to be formal at all! We do aim to be as professional as possible, yet hopefully maintain a relaxed balance to our service. Its good to see that overall you enjoyed your food with us, and we do appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback.
Kindest Regards
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A Fantastic Eating Experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Excellent food, great menu choices, excellent service, lovely people - what more can we say than we will be making a fourth visit before we return home. Some of the more so called popular restaurants could learn a lot from these young people.

• Visited February 2014
Thank you very much! :-)
Team Barstro hopes to see you again soon.
Greymouth, New Zealand
“Excellent service, food ok.”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had high expectations when coming here and unfortunately it didn't quite hit the mark.
The service was top notch and as one reviewer said "attentive but not obtrusive" which is an accurate description.
We tried a tapa which was pan fried scallops with bacon on bread as it was reccommended to us. It's was ok, I mean you can't go wrong with scallops or bacon, but was a bit dissapointing.
The starters we my favourite dishes. The cured swordfish our favourite.
The mains were confusing and I thought this was where the whole "with a twist" theme fell over.
I had the calamari curry and I am now a firm believer that calamari was not meant to be put in a curry. The sauce was authentic but the calamari felt like a slippery, rubbery physical challenge. I would have preffered the swordfish in the curry sauce instead.
My girlfriend had a steak that came with cooked vegetables in the sauce. It was like a stew with scotch fillet in it. It was average.
For dessert we had a creme brulee, with a twist, which was really nice.
Overall it was good, but not very good.

• Visited February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Its understandable that not all of our dishes will appeal to everybody who dines with us. However, that said it is always good to receive constructive criticism so that we can maintain high standards.

All the best to you.

With Kind Regards

Ireland
“My 50th birthday. ”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We decided to eat at Barstro because it was so near where we are staying here in Lanzarote and also because the Trip Advisor reviews were so encouraging. After our evening there I can only add to the positivity . What a lovely place! The restaurant itself is a tasty place decor- wise, dark wavy wood and lots of modern art but it's the staff that make Barstro so special, not to mention the top notch food. I can't praise this place enough. The tapas we had to start with- a clam and chickpea casserole ( who'd have thought of that combo working?) was a flavour bomb, combined with a bowl of olives marinated in flavours we were at a loss to pinpoint but who cares when the taste was so damn gorgeous. Our main dishes were even more pleasing- yummy squid for husband while I got stuck into duck in the most scrumptious sauce, with potatoes and vegetables cooked to delicate perfection. We looked at each other at the end of the meal, knowing we had experienced something special. On top of all this foody pleasure , our waiter Victor ( who turned out to be one of the owners) was such a nice guy, totally professional yet warm and friendly, non- intrusive yet attentive and also a saviour to me , when I had run out of cigarettes, he, a non smoker, gave me a few smokes he keeps spare for customers. Barstro staff are non smokers themselves and the restaurant doesn't have a cigarette vending machine BUT they are so civilised they will give you a smoke. How cool is that? Finally , the bill. What can I say except Barstro is incredibly good value! Can't believe we found such a gem. Highly recommended. If you don't like Barstro, I'll eat my hair.

Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts. We are all so happy that your 50th Birthday was a perfect memorable experience with us. No need for you to eat your hair either! Thanks again, we hope to welcome you back one day
Best wishes