This is our third visit to Sun Royal having stayed here in 2001&2002. On arrival we were told we had been selected to be upgraded to the Sun Tropical with no reason given as it was a lot further out we declined the offer and were given room 1065 which was on the upper floor with no real view and very poor furnished the coffee table was completely covered in teacup burns and there was not even a frying pan. As we were self catering my husband asked for a new room and we were given a ground floor apt near reception which looked exactly as it did in 2001 nothing any different. The walls in the bedroom are completely covered in damp and the plaster is coming off the wall not good for my husbands COPD.
The room was cleaned most days except weds and sun and sheets and towels changed regularly although we did have to chase up towels on one occasion. The shower is very powerful and there was always lovely hot water. We arrived on the thursday and on the following tuesday our cleaner dropped huge hints that she was off on the weds so looking for a tip. We always tip anyway but did not like being cajoled for one. We kept our room tidy and beds made so she did not have much to do..
We were self catering but did use the restaurant once for lunch and there was a good choice of hot and cold food although a couple of plates were dirty and cracked.
The shop on site good for water and newspapers not much else. The best place to shop is the Spar in the town they will cut lovely steaks and pork chops for you 2 of each only 13 euro and were delicious. If you go up the street beside the hypermarket in town there is a shop at the top which is like the old Woolworth it sells everything from pots and pans to souvenirs. We found it too late to buy small pot to boil eggs.
The beach is about a 20 minute walk away the town about 25 to walk the promenade and back up the town way stopping for little shop takes about 1 1/2 hours but it costs 2EURO 60 for a taxi back up.
Near the taxi rank there is a lovely Japanese restaurant called Romantica which serves the most amazing food they are always busy so a good idea to book. The staff and service excellent. I highly recommend it.
The apartment next door to reception has a fig tree and it does explain the saying "not giving a flying fig" as they fall down in abundance on to the apartment terrace and on the ground at entrance to reception causing a potential accident spot.
The two hotels beside the Sun Royal are being totally renovated i feel its time the sun royal does the same.
To end if you travel with Jet2 from Lanzarote you may have to stop off at Faro to refuel hence it will take you 6 hours to get home to Belfast thank god we didnt have too we were not told this when booking so i thought the time shown was a mistake or time difference.
I hope you find this review helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel THB Royal is located in the south of Lanzarote, in the village of Playa Blanca.This quiet fishing village in the municipality of Yaiza has preserved its characteristics apart from tourism development.This large complex consists of two floors and a total of 200 rooms. The hotel offers guests 2 swimming areas with solarium. Nearby are some of the most beautiful tourist attractions in Lanzarote: The Coast of Papagayo, El Golfo… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your THB Royal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Royal Apartments Hotel Playa Blanca
- Sun Royal Apartments Playa Blanca
- THB Royal Lanzarote/Playa Blanca