“'Technical Difficulties' a.k.a 'Double Booking'. Beware...”
Review of Pueblo Marinero

Pueblo Marinero
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Dublin, Ireland
“'Technical Difficulties' a.k.a 'Double Booking'. Beware...”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our second time returning to the Pueblo Marinero after a stay in Aug/Sep '12 for 9 nights in a standard room (self catering).

We liked the location around the marina and didn't have any complaints with the place so we booked a stay for 10 nights in Sep '13 back in January and also upgraded to a premier room (self catering). Requested room 219 after reading reviews here or failing that something with a sea view.

Arrived around 8pm on Monday the 9th only to be greeted with a tale of 'technical difficulties' affecting 5 rooms, which were only discovered that same evening. Reference was made to 'water damage' with 'burst pipes' being mentioned. Supposed to be very bad. "Water everywhere" apparently.

We were the fifth couple to be affected by this that evening and we were told that we would have to move to the Rubimar for the first 6 nights of our stay and move back again for the last 4 nights after our room was "fixed". The other couples were also moved though not necessarily to the Rubimar or so the story went. Alternatively he said that by law they had to offer us a couch in the reception area.

I wasn't buying the story; he was pushing it too hard. But there wasn't anything we could do at that point and we weren't going to take the couch.

So it was off to the Rubimar. He called a taxi to take us there, which the Pueblo paid for and gave us a meal voucher redeemable in one of 5 locations in the marina to compensate us for the trouble. A meal voucher, which was limited to a pre-set menu and only redeemable between certain hours with no drinks included. Breakfast was also now included in our stay at the Rubimar. We never book it when on holidays, as it would likely never get used. Don't like being tied to a schedule, one location for breakfast etc. But it was something I suppose.

So we booked in to the Rubimar. Room was ok. More or less equivalent to the standard room we stayed in the year before in the Pueblo. It was a ground floor apartment with a view of a wall and some bushes and a lot of stray cats. No sea in sight.

I returned to the Pueblo early the following morning to speak with the director of the place about the situation. He shrugged off my suggestion that it was a double booking and was sticking with the 'technical difficulties' story yet wouldn't provide any evidence to back it up. They wouldn't show me the affected rooms or even tell me the room numbers when I asked. That wouldn't be possible i was told. He did tell me that the Pueblo were willing to offer me a one-week free stay off-peak (no Xmas, Easter or summer months) sometime in 2014 as further compensation. It was an offer but I wanted this holiday sorted and failing that some monetary compensation because we were out of pocket by a few hundred euros given what we had already paid for. Anyways I did not want to commit myself to coming back here again in 2014 especially given the reception so far.

He couldn't offer me a refund he said as it would have to involve the travel agency and their suppliers, so after I left the meeting I got in touch with the travel agency and over the course of the day managed to get a refund of the price difference between a standard and premier room in the Pueblo for 6 nights.

I also had a look around the place that day as well and there was clearly no signs of any on-going maintenance which you'd think there would be given the scale of the reported damage. And you would also think that there would be some element of urgency in fixing the damage given the nature of their business.

Plus given the Pueblo's location next to the promenade we'd walk past it a few times a day most days on our way to/from the beach/town and it was clearly evident that anything with a view was occupied.

I dropped in a couple of times during the week to check if everything was ok for checking back in on Sunday. The story had now changed to it being only one room being affected and the 'technical difficulties' varied from 'wet paint' to 'air conditioning problems' to 'leaky roof' depending on whom I was talking to at the time. Curiously we were told our room would also be "fixed" one hour after checkout time on the Sunday after the cleaners have had a chance to clean it. I had given up arguing at this point so just let them run with it.

We eventually ended up in room 216 for the remainder of our stay. It was a nice room and we both agreed that it would have been a very different holiday had we been there from the beginning.

Will return to Playa Blanca again at some point but I don't think I’d have the peace of mind to book with these guys again.

It's a nice play when everything goes right but for all the persistent [--] that I had to listen too, initially pawning us off with a meal voucher and having me work to get a partial refund it's getting the lowest possible score.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sclarke001
hdhotels01, Director General at Pueblo Marinero, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Clarke,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travel community Tripadvisor.

It is really a shame. I have to admit it was not easy to deal with the problem and we tried to compensate you the best way possible.

I thank you for your honesty about the rest of your stay with us. For me it would be a pleasure to have you back next year. Please contact me should you decide to give us another oportunity.

Fernando Benítez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was our first trip to Lanzarote and this complex was chosen from reviews on trip adviser. We were pleasantly surprised on arrival by the help and assistance by the reception staff and the carrying of our bags by a member of staff who took us to our two bed apartment and showed us where everything was, when you are arriving at 09:00 in the evening after a long day in the air and the joy of airports it was greatly appreciated. We were amazed at the size of the apartment which would easily sleep 6 people. (tip to Thomson, how about supplying some water and milk in the fridge for people coming in at his time or later, it wouldn't cost a lot but would go a long way in helping and providing for your clients). The next morning we could see everything in the apartment and complex a lot better and still was not disappointed. Yes, the apartments are starting to look a little tired in places, ie the bathrooms but we've been in far worse and still had a great holiday. My biggest concern was the wiring to the kitchen hob (picture attached). If the rest of the unseen wiring was to this standard, as someone who works in the electrical industry I’m still amazed at what other counties in the European community can get away with when we are all supposed to be following the same standards. That aside we could not fault the complex especially the poolside bar staff and Paco and his holiday relief Marco. They work tirelessly to help you enjoy your holiday but are not pushy if you do not want to join in with the games and activities, but are just happy to watch Paddy playing water polo rugby. We must also thank the bar staff for the complementary drink when our third grandson was born whilst we were there. The location in our opinion is the best in the area for access to Playa Blanca and the best restaurant’s and bars. The cleaners were excellent and when I spoke to the usual girl who cleaned our apartment that it had not been cleaned that day, she came in and sorted it even though it was not her’s to do that day. All in all we would recommend this complex especially as it has a no kids policy. We would also recommend that you do not go all inclusive as the food did not look that good and you are never far from some lovely places to eat at reasonable prices, also the bar shuts really early unless the Karaoke or other entertainment is organised which only happens twice a week. If you prefer the beach, there is a great one with all the amenities just a ten minute walk away.

Room Tip: If you want the best view go for a poolside apartment if you don't mind the noise that can go wi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hdhotels01, Director General at Pueblo Marinero, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Mick H,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience in Pueblo Marinero. I am glad you enjoyed it.

I am also concerned about the wiring to the kitchen hob. For your tranquility I must tell you that this is no acceptable in Spain either. We have found three units to have the same connection in the wiring and it will be solved today.

I must admit that I would have preferred to fix it during your stay.

Thank you very much for your help and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back in Pueblo Marinero in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is the first time we had stayed in Lanzarote and picked Pueblo Marinero because it was an Adult only hotel. Highly recommend this hotel, so much so I would go back. We went for 10 days and met some fantastic like minded people, you all know who you are.

We stayed in one of the two bedroom apartments at the rear, and knew what to expect from previous reviews, apartments are a great size to spread out in for two, look a bit dated but if you are like us, we were hardly in them. The pool is great with modern beds around and there seemed to be plenty around as the hotel was fully booked when we stayed. Special mention to Pako and Marco who look after all the guests around the pool. If you get a bit bored lying in the sun like myself they organise plenty of activities, highly recommend the water polo, great laugh. These guys are legends.

The rest of the staff are friendly especially at the pool bar. Only criticism would be the food, buy hey, where the hotel is located, there are plenty of restaurants at the marina across the road.

If you want a relaxing holiday, where you can meet great people and have a laugh, this is the hotel to book. We had a fantastic 10 days here.

Also I may have been one of the rowdy ones, one evening on a previous review. Apologies, but hey you are on holiday to unwind.

Choi

1 Thank PaddyJohn2013
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

They have made some improvements to the pool area since we last went and spruced up some of the rooms, but nothing is to much trouble for the staff here.
We had a great time and would not be shocked if the other half wanted to go again, perfect position and now adults only.
Well done Pueblo team and thanks

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a premier room it's well worth it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank andy f
BERKSHIRE UK
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is our first visit to lanzorate and perhapse the last as we did not like it the same as the main land and other parts in Spain. The most good thing about these apartments are its location and staff. The location is great as it is exactly opposit to the Marina although 20 minutes walking away from the town . We arrived late evening and the check in was efficient but we were left alone to find out our apartment and struggling our way in the dark. We booked a premium room with a sea view , first we were given an apartment on the ground floor with a sea view although you have to stand up to see the sea beside it was dark with high humidity. We were eventually given a decent apartment on the first floor but we had to wait for two days. DO NOT BOOK WITh NEIThER BREAKFAST nor HALF BOARD. First of all breakfast is very poor and the same every day , certainly is not a 4 star standard. It is cooked by the cleaner with some other poor quality items. For the dinner you will be given some vouchers to use in some local restaurants. Initially we thought it was a good idea to eat in a different restaurant every time but we were very disappointed , you will be given a different manu specially made for the hotel's guests with poor quality of meals beside you will be treated as if you were given free meals . We only used these vouchers on few occasions. So it was just waist of money. The staff were great and very helpful .they are the credit for this hotel. The apartment was cleaned on a daily basis except 2 days a week . It is a bit noise if your room near the pool and at night twice a week with the entertaining. We booked few trips from the hotel with good values however money exchange is expensive, 10% commission . Do not book your holiday with Voyage Prive uk Agent who claimed to give huge discount on their trips , our supposed to be 60% discount , but then we found it was cheaper with Thomson although It was offered with only 10% discount . they are misleading with bad service. We had to send back our documents few times to correct their mistakes .
Certainly this hotel is not up to 4 star and could only be used as self catering apartments with no stars at all.

Room Tip: Ask for premium room with sea view on the first floor with air condition, avoid the pool area if y...
1 Thank DRMICHAIL
Manchester
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Yet another fantastic holiday staying here. Everywhere is spotlessly clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It has recently been improved and modernized. The new addition of the Sunset bar was great! Being an adult only hotel made the atmosphere more relaxed and enjoyable. Everyday activities would be arranged including water polo and water volley ball. Pako and Marco who run the activities make it very fun and enjoyable.

As part of the improvements, new sun loungers have been added which are comfortable but there are not enough if the pool is busy. The hotel could benefit by creating more shaded areas as the pool area is very open. The pool also needs re-tiling as it is very easy to cut yourself where there are missing tiles.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Megan986
hdhotels01, Director General at Pueblo Marinero, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Megan986,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in this forum.

I am very sorry you got your toe a little bruised. We did the re-tiling the morning after you reported at reception, as we do everyweek.

I´m glad you liked the improvements we have made and I hope to welcome you again soon at the Pueblo Marinero.

Hillsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a week at these apartments and we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. The upgrade to the premium room was well worth it as we had an fabulous room with a stunning view.

The location of this complex is excellent with everything you could want within a 5 to 10 minute stroll, and the choice of restaurants is brilliant, quite glad of this as the restaurant in the hotel wasn't up to much. The guys in the bar did their best with snacks throughout the day but the little woman cooking is certainly no chef!

I would have no hesitation in recommending Playa Blanca and in particular Pueblo Marinero and it is most certainly somewhere I will return to in the future.

Room Tip: We had a first floor premium room overlooking the sea, well worth the additional money
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only
H10 Lanzarote Princess
H10 Lanzarote Princess
#12 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to Pueblo Marinero? Share your experiences!