“difference between 3 star and 4 star”

HL Club Playa Banca
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed my first week at Paradise Island 3 star, sister hotel to club playa blanca 4star, food was the same, but no hassle in dining room, accommodation was really good, but bar service at pool bar very poor, the Spanish bar was like big cold barn, entertainment was poor, this hotel is set in beautiful gardens, but is it worth a 4 star rating, I don't think so

8  Thank tattieayr
Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed February 1, 2012

First of all, please may I say, read ALL of the January reviews. I have never written a review for TA and found so many reviews where I actually can recall some of the people. You have to remember that this is the ‘old’ part of PB. When we first came here, the marina had not been built.
The hotel is a little bit tired, but a lick of paint on the front door would make a lot of difference. The bungalows are spotless and the bedroom was bigger than my own at home. Loads of wardrobe space (mirror wardrobes), 2 bedside tables with drawers and a massive dressing table with another cupboard and drawer (no mirror). Bathroom was very clean with 2 basins. The towels were a bit thin, but you can get poolside towels which were bath sheets and fairly fluffy, for a small deposit. They can be exchanged daily. Leave you to work that one out. There is a ‘yard’ out the back to hang your cossies etc out. TIP. Take pegs. It is a non smoking bungalow and I thought that the Thomas Cook rep who told people it was okay to smoke in the bungalow was bang out of order. I’m a smoker and would not like to sleep in a room where people had been having a fag the day before. Lets be honest, you dont come to stay in the room all day. But even so!
The one thing that really impressed me was that the manager was there from 8 until late. We spoke to him and he is very approachable.(Apparently someone had been in the bungalow using a swipe card and had left straight away). We asked him what was going on. He listened to our concern and told us it was the maintenance men checking that the light bulbs worked. But he listened and did not shrug us off or make us feel silly. Top marks. E.G. It rained one night around 8ish. He was there and ordering the staff to put non slip mats down straight away.
The food was very good I thought, after all, you haven't come here for luxury cuisine, just to be fed decently. The meat was always cooked beautifully. Plenty of choice. We did not eat lunch but according to others, it was very good. You can get paper plates and take salads and what not up to the pool. The drinks were not too bad either. Well done to Kirsten, the barmaid at the pool bar. She served everyone very quickly and usually remembered what you had if you had the same order every time.
I noticed that some people complained abot the pool temp. Yes it was cold. It was January - what do you expect? A hot tub? Once you were in, it was good but the big pool IS very cold.
Animation team were brilliant, especially at the pool. We did not go into the evening entertainment as we went into town every night.
If you do go into to town, it’s about 15 mins walk down. Look at the map given to you in reception. We went to Sweet Corner which is on the front. They serve cocktails and play music DVD’s rather than wall to wall footy. Go down to the front and turn right. There is a sax player model outside. The marina side is to the left and it will be wonderful when it’s finished.
TIP. If you need a chemist, use the one opposite the taxi rank by the rounda bout. They speak perfect English. The one nearer the hotel does not.
Lastly, smokers beware. Do not go above the 200 allowance, customs will be waiting. They ALWAYS wait for Lanza flights as it’s a tax free island. Hope this helps.
VFM – definitely. Will we go back? – most probably.

10  Thank MargaretofLondon
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed here for two weeks all inclusive(two weeks on January). Spacious accomodation (one bedroom). Lots of options for meals -could eat and drink all day if you wished. Plenty of sunbeds around pools. Would been nice if one pool was heated though! Warm to hot through the day time but chilly at night.
Draw back was the only english speaking chanel on the TV was Sky news........
Evening entertainment was poor.

Would suggest that if you are arriving at night a torch would be handy help find your accomodation and the light switches..............No problem once you have found your way around and where the lights are.

5  Thank MoragFlett
Reviewed January 30, 2012

just arrived back from club playa blanca all inclusive 10 nights and what can I say, I read some reports on here before me (46) & the Mrs(50) went,and was very sceptical but I needn't have worried we found the hotel very nice set back out of town 10-15 mins walk nothing too strenuous the hotel was clean the rooms/bungalows was spaced out enough no noise only from next door due to the bathrooms being adjacent to each another, pool area was washed down every morning yer a few tiles cracked here and their nothing to worry about and what tiles would nt be slippy with water on it come on.plenty of sun loungers yer a few was cracked but just think the weight they have to carry with some people ha ha pool bar area very nice and relaxing very nice coffee, lager was nt too bad either and a good measure of spirits also onto the food good choice of dishes every night (breakfast nice bacon eggs e.t.c) in my opinion as i like just about anything,on the other hand my Mrs does nt but she says their was always something to have I suppose it depends on what you like. it does turn nippy at night you need to take a fleece at this time of year.
you always saw the manager walking about always with a smile and hello didn't know when he slept im sure all in all a pleasant holiday would defiantly go back

Room Tip: we was in 819 a good view of the pool and reception area,and not too long to walk down for dinner e...
7  Thank Bucko44
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This was our second January holiday at this Hotel. Last year we stayed one week so this year we decided to try two weeks. We do not go in for all the entertainment so cannot comment on the quality but there was something different advertised every night. If you want a quiet relaxing holiday at that time of year it is perfect. The gardens are very well maintained with banana trees and poinsettia's the size of bushes! A patio area outside each semi detached bungalow gives plenty of room for sunbathing with no need to sit around the pool. The rooms are spacious and the twin beds pushed together are comfortable. Plenty of hanging space but maybe not enough hangers. We would recommend you hire the large safe at the time of booking in. The bathrooms do adjoin and you can hear next door but you're not always in their at the same time so this was not a problem. The living room has a very comfortable sofa, a TV, of which, the only English channels are news ones, so don't bother to hire a remote control as it is only four steps to the buttons. As well as the fridge and microwave this year there was a kettle, cups, saucers and spoons so worth taking a small supply of tea, coffee, coffeemate etc if you like to make an early morning cuppa but the bars serve excellent coffee at other times. We found the local drinks to be acceptable, measures are not controlled and brandy after dinner was huge. We liked the food and the choice is good if you are not a fussy eater. We tried a little of everything over the fortnight and did not get bored with the choice. As well as the usual continental and fried breakfast, omelettes and pancakes were made to order and at lunch and dinner something was always being cooked on the griddle. A large choice of desserts and ice cream are also available. The only criticism we had this year, over last, was that there was not as much fruit available especially oranges and no fresh fruit was available at breakfast time. In the bar there is a table for any read and unwanted books but in the two weeks only once did I find an English book and all five of those I placed there were snapped up instantly. An easy 10 minute walk to the town takes you past a crazy golf (Minigolf Christina) which is OK but we found a better one at Playa Limones bungalows but this is a longer walk, both were 3 euros per person. The promenade along the front is a nice walk but we have found that at this time of year there is nothing happening at the marina so not worth walking that far. There is a volcano close to the hotel and this year we decided to walk up it. It is steep and we are not young but we managed it and walked all the way round the rim, great views, just don't attempt it on a windy day! My Husband hired a mountain bike for three days from Papagayo Bike shop in the town, and we took the hotels trip to Teguise Market on the Sunday. This was an interesting trip as the coach picked up from other hotels and the journey to the market gave us a glimpse of the rest of the island without having to hire a car. This was a perfect holiday for us, we did not get bored and liked the fact that this hotel at this time of year seems to attract more German and Dutch than English holidaymakers.

3  Thank Annr24
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here with my partner and my parents for a week in January.
1st drop off from airport, 25mins! Polite at reception. Large rooms, very clean and my bed was very comfy. THE FOOD IS FINE!!! I have many allergies and do not eat red meat but there was always plenty of choice, show cooking with a vareity of meats and fish every day.
Animation team were very friendly and you are politly asked if you wish to join in daily activities i.e. Archery, Rifle shooting, Jenga, Table Tennis and many others. If you win you get awarded a certificate in the evening, which is all good fun banter. Some of the shows were not great but others were great, especially the Magician.
If you visit in January, you do need a cardi/jacket as it does get rather cold in the evening. TEN MINS walk to the harbour, maybe longer depeding on fitness levels. Lovely shops and I liked the little bar opposite the spar, 'Coffe Dreams' and 'Bar 34' also nice (english owners).
The only grumble I would have about the HL club playa is that there is only tea and coffee available with breakfast and not at lunch or evening, although you can get it at the bars.
All in all a great hol and worth the money we paid (£375) This is the first time I have wrote a review but as I look on this site before I book any holiday I thought It was time to start writing one myself.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed the same, we stayed in 102 and were lucky not to have neighbours all week so very p...
7  Thank EmmmaN
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My friend and I (40 somethings!) stayed in this all inclusive hotel for one week.
It was a super holiday only being hapered by the weather as it was mixed. If you go this time of year it is cold at night and you will need a jacket/fleece. Ladies leggins under those maxi dresses! not that people dressed up. It was more jeans and jumper for most people.
The room was a one bedroom bungalow the only complaint is the matress could have been better and more comfortable. Plus you can hear next door cleaning their teeth or talking in the bathroom. However It was clean tidy and fitted with hairdryer, microwave, fridge and kettle. Even though we were AL.
It was a very short walk to the pool which was cleaned daily and the kids (we didn't take any with us) loved it and no matter what the weather seemed to be in it.The small round pool has more heat in it than the bigger pool
The food was spot on. All I can say to those who could not find anything to eat or found it repetitive - What is wrong with you? Every breakfast/lunch and dinner there was more than enough choice and enough food to sink the titanic! before the holiday we had decided to eat out a few nights to break the holiday up, All I can say is, we didn't, there was no need and every night there was a different theme. There is a microwave in the restaurant so those who like their food at nuclear heat level - go for it. For me the fact that the plates were that hot I needed a servette to hold it and the food itself was hot, was enough
We did venture out purely for the entertainment side of a night time. We sampled many bars. The Irish ones for us the best. But on the front there are plenty for everyones taste. If you like sports there are plenty of bars with T.V's to watch that all important match.
The walk in to Playa Blance is approx 15/20 mins depends on how fit you are. It's a lovely safe walk and if you are feeing particularly lazy no more than 4 euro's. A taxi can be ordered from the reception and there is at least two major taxi ranks in the town itself to get back.
The staff were great and always helpful nothing was too much trouble. The manager always seems to be there as well and more than happy to help.
The animation team worked around the clock to see that a good time was had by all (we didn't join in - not our thing) but we got asked at the start of the hols then left alone, which was great for us. We always knew if wanted to do the daily activities we could join at anytime day or night.
For those who have stated you get what you pay for OF COURSE YOU DO! this is not a 5* luxury AL paradise hotel with slaves running around pampering to your every need you have to pay alot more for that experience.
This was a super holiday - highly recommended and I would go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends