“Excellent value and a 4 star in Lanzarote standards. ”

Rubimar Suite ApartHotel
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Room very clean and food very good and cooked fresh. Very child friendly hotel. Entertainment very good too for facilities available. This is the first hotel I would consider returning for a second visit. Staff very friendly and all work very hard. For the price you pay it is excellent and a very relaxing holiday.

Negatives, public toilets need a handy man

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Magnus100
Write a ReviewReviews (1,380)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Just returned from my second visit to the rubimar and once again its great value for the money. The location is fab and the food and drinky all inclusive is great value. Nice walk to town . would certainly visit the rubimar again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank westbury43
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Myself, husband, 2 children (1 & 3 years) and my parents arrived on 10 March having booked 2 x 1 bedded apartments.

We were asked on check in if we would all like to share a 3 bedded 'superior' apartment that was available. We kindly declined the offer as we'd booked separate apartments to suit our individual needs. We did however ask before I unpacked how much it would cost for us as a family of 4 to upgrade to the 3 bedded apartment The chap on reception said that wouldn't be possible as they were fully booked and needed all rooms. (my thinking at this stage was that they had over booked and were hoping that we would take up their offer of sharing 1 large apartment, therefore freeing up an extra room) We were told our room (with the cot) was available but my parents room would be ready in approximately an hour - no problem really.
Cutting a very long story short my parents went to reception after an hour or so and were then given the 3 bedded apartment but were told that if it was required within their stay then they would be relocated to another apartment?!!!?? That was definitely NOT going to happen as this was their error, not ours. We were all left feeling annoyed, confused and frustrated as none of this made any sense. My parents now rattling around in a 3 bedded apartment and 4 of us in a 1 bedded! I do feel there was a lack of organisation within in the complex as most housekeeping days one cleaner shortly followed another! Not a very positive start to the holiday and extremely frustrating.

The apartments were ok and not as bad as some make out. We got the overall impression that the hotel were cutting corners due to cost as there are a few areas that required attention (lack of cooking equipment and very poor beds and sofas) that desperately require replacing along with general maintenance and painting throughout the complex - even though according to their website they had a refurbishment not too long ago. Little disappointed that the outdoor pool(s) were far too cold for our little ones to use. I was told by one receptionist that they don't have this problem in the summer months but my thinking is that if you are an all year resort then these facilities should be available to use i.e. slight heating?? We didn't envisage going on a holiday abroad and using an indoor pool.
Another topic that seems to rear its head is no wifi - again this we feel is simply down to cost cutting but in this day and age with so much competition it should be available.

For what you pay I certainly wouldn't deter anyone from booking and its totally fine for anyone travelling with young children. We booked room only basis but did use the breakfast facility on the morning we were travelling home and found the quality and selection very good.

Overall not that bad at all but the star rating does need some consideration. Don't go if you are expecting 4 star.

Tessa, Simon & family, Staffs.

2  Thank pillansikin
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Good location for exploring Rubicon Marina, Playa Blanca centre or Papagayo beaches. Food was brilliant for the cost of the trip and was better than some meals that I eat out of the hotel, Hotel and pool were clean and the rooms comfortable, The staff were welcoming and helpful from the start in reception right through to the bar service and entertainment, Special mention for Javier the Entertainments manager for his enthusiasm throughout the day and endeavour to include everyone in the hotel activities without being overpowering. Brilliant time and I will definitely return here,

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floor are best for views across to Fuerteventura
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank QPRtrev
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I had a week's holiday in Lanzarote and we chose this hotel for its facilities and close proximity to the marina and Playa Blanca ( 30 mins gentle walk). The welcome was friendly but our room would not be available until after 3.00pm so we had a two hour wait. We were able to take lunch and took a stroll to the nearby marina. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The seats and settee in the living area were not and although there was cooking facilities there was no kettle and little crockery. This was not a problem since we were all inclusive. The food was good but there was a sameness to the choices. Breakfast was the best meal with plenty of choices in hot and cold food with coffee and tea available. Lunch and dinner were less enjoyable with hot food being mainly fish and pork but the pastas were normally flavoursome.

The swimming pool was cold but the heated indoor pool was good. There were plenty of sun loungers and the weather was good. 21 degrees was the norm. The pool bar had few comfortable seats and the local gin and brandy was acceptable. We found the wines were poor and the red wine was to cold coming from a barrel which was chilled. The hotel staff were all very friendly but there seemed to be a lack of visible management. No staff wore name badges so we didn't know who they were or their position in the hotel. There were areas of the walls which needed painting and there were two days when the bedrooms were not cleaned. Sunday and Thursday.
Overall the visit was reasonable with many pluses but there is room for improvement to the facilities and comfort being offered.

Room Tip: Ensure that your room is away from the pool bar area and faces west to get the sun in the afternoon
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sinclair45
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Just got back on 24th march 2014
we are a couple with 2 children 4,6 years old,we read all the reviews and thought the location alone would be worth it and went for the all inclusive for the kids.

The excellent bits are ,location ,complex,gym, breakfast,lunch,with a red wine we sadly loved too much lol, its better if you hate it ,then you can come back healthier lol.
Javier the kids entertainer got my Ellee up dancing monday till friday nights,Archie my 6 yr old was typical of most boys ,and refused to dance ,but joined in the crazy ball game in the day time ,of which he was proud to win a certificate,so that was the only time he went near the dance floor to collect it ...

The good bits are, room with great view over the pool,x 2 tvs for my nightly fix of sky news,
indoor swimming pool ,the staff all good and we never waited more then a few mins for a drink,nice gin and tonic ,which was a bonus .

The ok stuff ,the outdoor pool as is in most of the canaries ,was FREEZING COLD ,and even though we had 6 days of great weather ,no one would venture in ,so that has always the case was a shame ,the evening meal is not fancy but ok ,me and my wife already had a game plan before we arrived ,that the kids will have there chicken nuggetts ,etc has part of the A.I and we would eat out at night at the marina next to us ,just because we love being pampered and waited on a bit ,and were on our hols, if you do out, go to Lannie or little Italy ,both great service and great value ,fillet steak 13.50 euros ,house red 2.75 a glass ,so we would eat and drink till 9pm and then go back to the rubimar for the mini disco with Javier .

The bad stuff and im being picky ,no mini disco sat or sunday,we went home on the monday morning.
Thats only because my Ellee loved it and was sad has a result..

SUMMARY
Do not book this with the mind set that it is a top 4* ,it is not ,i think they have the 4* FOR INDOOR POOL ,GYM ETC, this is more your 3* with a few extra goodies ,and the money we paid ,we have paid on self catering before ,so manage your expectations and you will have a great time ,if you want something grander ,im afraid thats going to cost a lot more .

THANKYOU TO ALL THE HARD WORKING STAFF AT THE RUBIMAR ,AND A SPECIAL THANKYOU TO JAVIER IN THE ENTERTAINMENT ,SEE YOU NEXT YEAR...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Gary C
Reviewed March 28, 2014

On arriving after being on the road since 4am and told that our room wasnt ready until after 3pm ! we were lucky the room was ready at 2 pm but why as we were only a drop off of 2 parties ?.
the food was good for us as there was about 10 items for breakfast then lunch which included king prawn ,duck ext ext and the puds were so many different ones and dinner good too.
The desk guy was unhelpful with whatever you needed and a couple who through no fault of their own had their booking cancelled were treated terribly and when I tried to say they need a bus back to airport I was ignored ..they luckily got a call from me to say they were being left and paid for a taxi themselves as the reception guy didnt care.
The mattresses in the rooms are just spings with a piece of cotton over them ,so me and my sister slept on the sofa in the room and the sofa in the bedroom which are realy comfy ..unlike the beds and 3 out of 4 room residents said the same to us so get some new mattresses please.
The room was great for all inclusive but for self catering no ! The freezer in the fridge hadnt been defrostested in abot 2 years ! it was impossible to get even an ice cube tray in there and there was none of the basics ,no kettle no iron ,no small pans ,no remotes for aircon or tvs unless you pay 10 euros each item for news in english and thats it !
The hotel is in a great location and the views are great and the food is very good so we will be back there but thats it in a nutshell.
It has a heated indoor pool which is heated ...just about, but once you get used to it its lovely
We stayed in room 113 which had sun 10 hours a day but next time we will be on a top floor as you can hear people upstairs realy clearly walking over your head.
I would like to point out that the entertainment is monday to friday only ! first time I have come across that one, weekend evenings are boring so leave the hotel and find some elsewhere.
I would recomend that you dont use the cosmos rep as in reception you can get a leaflet for trips so much cheaper that cosmos from reception,we saw it too late and lost 12 euros each as cosmos was that much more expensive for 1 trip !.
yes I will go again for the food and the location as its stunning around the hotel but thats the only reasons

Room Tip: 213 no noice good views and sun all day ...but sleep on sofas as beds terrible
5  Thank flossy01