“Almost blown away! (literally!!)”
Review of Caybeach Sun

Caybeach Sun
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed self catering with my partner, 2 yr old and 10wk old baby for one week and overall we had a good time. I requested a room above reception going by the tips on here. The room was spacious and was surprised to find a travel cot was put up in the room even though I did not ask for one so that was a bonus.

Towels were changed regularly, there was plenty of cooking facilities, you will need to bring washing up liquid and cooking oil, etc, and if you are going to be using tins I suggest you bring your own opener as we struggled to get the one supplied to work.

The week we stayed we found the weather to be very windy and where our room was we were almost blown away walking down the corridor, not pleaseant for my kids. The walk to the beach was about 10mins which was also very windy and into the centre of the town was about 15mins.

I chose this hotel specifically because of the slides available for my child to use but unfortunatley the pool was too cold for him and so we did not spend much time by the pool (also windy); instead we went for walks to Dorada Beach which was much warmer (less windy). The park at the hotel was good for my little one and it was never busy so we could play for as long as he wanted.

Would we go back there again? Yes, only if the price was right.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 851 as its above the mini supermarket and if you are a light sleeper you will be a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rhia2000
Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Lovely location, close to some very pretty coastline and town.

Reception staff were very helpful.

Main building(ie Reception) and restaurant block good repair and kept very clean.

Can't comment on the food as we were self catering.

Rooms were fairly spacious and kept reasonably clean but no equipment supplied to allow guest to clear up simple spillages/breakages. Not very comfortable furniture in living/kitchen/dining area, beds were very hard and plastic covering on bed mattress was definitely not conducive to a good night's sleep.

Pool surrounding area and the footpaths were not cleaned once during our 2 week stay. Drink/food spillages and bird dropping remained on the tiles throughout the stay.

We did not use the air con at a cost of 3 euros per day but the unit was situated in the living area only, and therefore would not have any benefit in the bedroom. When the pool bar shut at about 6pm we went to find a bar but there was none to found until much later in the evening.

There was a lot of noisy children around and as we wanted a quietish holiday it was very disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toonad
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Hotel is ok, friendly waiters. Food is ok. Nothing special, very repetitive. If you go late there is nothing left.
There are two women at the reception. The young lady is very nice. We asked the other lady to have our room changed, as we wanted a balcony and one of the bed was squicking every time I moved. She would not change it as we had our little one with us. 2 days later we have seen two couples with children having balcony. Also we asked to rent the iron out, as it stated on the paperwork, we could. She said there was none. We looked through the window and there were some irons on the shelf in their office.
Also, as all incl, we had to pay for tv, 18 euro for 6 days. We were not informed we could get it for 14 euro for 7 days. There are only 3 English channels. You don't get a remote unless you pay a deposit( just in case if you really want to take it back home).
The entertainment is not well organised, a Team have a day off on Tuesday. The hotel is very quiet during the day. Not feeling very summery.
Also the inside swimming pool is only for adults, so if the weather is bad your choice is to sit in your room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jimmyswindon
Reviewed May 16, 2012

What can I say. On the plus side the apartments are ok, clean and spacious. 3 euros a day for the air con which is situated in the living area, none in the bedroom. Very few English people there. Not enough staff which meant once the pool bar shuts at about 6pm no bar until about 9.30pm because the barman is too busy helping in the restaurant. The bar closes bang on 11pm. The place is totally dead by then. Everyone in bed. The entertainment is diabolical. The food is awful. You can get a decent breakfast but that is about it. OK if you like dried up cold chips or pasta. Also the restaurant has no air con so it was stifling. Bit doubtful about the salad and cold meats as it was so warm in there and they seemed to leave them out all day from one meal to the next. Thank god we only booked 1 week. Desperate to come home by the third day. Just about all the Brits we spoke to felt the same way. Would have been better bed and breakfast rather than all inclusive. Also disappointed with both the outdoor swimming pools. I am not a good swimmer so like to be able to stand on the bottom. As I am only 5feet tall this was not an option as in the shallow end it reached over my face. No swim for me, just had to sit in about 10" water in the kiddies pool to cool off. The kiddies pool was not in very good condition. I wouldnt want to put kids in there to play. All in all a disaster of a holiday. Cost 2 of us almost £1000 so that made things even worse.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Shemum
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Cay Beach Sun for a week at the end of April, and had an amazing time, the perfect relaxation break. I couldn't believe the value for money with this hotel. I wasn't expecting anything amazing as I did just book a cheap last minute deal that had pretty good reviews on trip advisor. We were very welcomed when we got to the hotel, everything was explained to us, and the reception were very helpful. The apartment was very clean, I do understand why people on the reviews have said they are dated, but to be honest the decoration of the apartment doesn't exactly effect your holiday unless your paying extreme prices, I didn't expect anything less. We had a lovely large balcony and a nice size dining kitchen area, perfect for self catering. All utensils we needed were there ready for us, it was the most equipt hotel I have stayed in. I have to say the shower was amazing, a lot better than ours at home, very powerful, and lovely warm running water always, which can be a rarity for some foreign hotels. Pool area was lovely. There were two large outdoor pools and a nice slide area that even adults could use (the boyfriend had lots of fun!) They had an indoor pool and jucuzzi which we did visit but it was very cold. We only tried the food once for breakfast, which was nice but not to our taste so we did otherwise go elsewhere. The entertainment wasn't fantastic, but we only went down twice, the entertainments team were pleasant, but think they could have tried harder getting people up for activities. Though there is a lot on offer, especially for kids. Just wasn't a very upbeat entertainments room, that's the only negative really. The hotel is in perfect location, 5 minute easy walk to the nearest beach which was lovely, and all the bars, which we enjoyed as we are a young couple. It's not a full on party atmosphere, but perfect for couples. Drinks are very cheap down that way. Best bar we went in was jungle bar, and there was one next to it that was fun, doing karaoke, and giving us free shots to get us up :). The restaurants are 10-15 minute walk either way. We went to the marina area at first which was a bit more expensive, than if you walked right when you got to the beach. There are a lot of restaurants to choose from. One we thoroughly enjoyed was the timanfayla restaurant (don't remember exact name but has that in it), and there was a lovely chinese near there too, both very good value for money, so we returned more than once. I would recommend visiting the volcano national park as it amazing.
Overall a lovely holiday, no complaints what-so-ever. Many thanks to the Cay Beach Sun for a lovely stay! We would definitely choose to stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank NaomiSW
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed at the Cay Beach Sun for one week in April 12 booked as part of a package through Low Cost Holidays. The location was good with a 10-15 minute walk to beach, marina or town. The actual complex was clean and well kept. Apartments were of a good size and well equipped. Reception staff, gardeners and cleaners were all friendly and welcoming.
I have stayed in a number of apartments in recent years and this one was at the very least competitive with all of them. My apartment was on the first floor and had a pool view though I believe any apartments on the out side of the complex would not be so good with views of the road and overshadowed by trees.
I chose a half board package and food was plentiful if not a little repetitive but given the price I paid I couldnt have asked for more.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the pool
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
17  Thank Linda783
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Lovely resort, central location, marina 10 minutes walk to the left , the cente of Playa blanc 10 minutes walk to the right. Apartments are excellent, spacious, well equipped, microwave, kettle,
toaster etc, We asked for adjacent aparments with a pool view on the first floor and thats exactly what we got, We have been to a lot of resorts around the world and these are definitely up there with the best any faults are minor and were easily rectified by contacting reception.
The resort itself is quiter than puerto del carmen, similar to costa te guise, though the promenade is lovely running for about 5 miles fron the marina to the far side of the town. Restaurants in the marina much more expensive as you are paying for the "view" though Lansi,s grill very good.
In the centre el cheluton steak house is quite good though alantico just beside it is better with its portugese quisine and attentive hosts, recommend caso pedro for fish on the central promenade.
Bars, Mollys, or the nags head for breakfast or quizzes and cheap drink.
Tommy, Nessie, Eddiekins and Marisipoos

Room Tip: Ask For a first floor apartment with a pool view. 165 and 166 were good as they got the sun in the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends