THe Mirador Papagayo
$154
$194
  • Breakfast included
H10 Rubicon Palace(Playa Blanca)
$145
$235
$209
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Ona Las Brisas(Playa Blanca)(Great Value!)
$175
$169
$160
Elvoline
$136
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
3,137 results
All reviewssea viewblack tileshalf boardanimation teampool barthe main hotelplenty of choicejunior suiteevening entertainmentgreat holidayporkfamily roomcourtesy busquiet locationreception stafflovely walkwellness centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Had a very enjoyable 2 weeks all-inclusive in July.
Sea view top floor so wonderful views and the sun hit the balcony until approx 3pm.

I'll get the negatives out of the way first (2 thirty/forty somethings, no kids)

Pool area
It is just too small for the size of hotel. Unless you get up early and book a sunbed and umbrella, forget it. If we were down after 10am there was nothing left. As for the Hotels policy of "Towels will be removed from sunbeds" - I didn't see that happen once. Going down for breakfast about 9am if you looked outside just about every bed was 'booked'.
Probably not a problem when the hotel is not full, but it was during our stay.
Not a major problem for us since we had a great balcony anyway, but may annoy some.
Certainly not enough umbrellas.
We happened to walk past the Iberostar Lanzarote Park and the pools there looked much, much better, loads of space and beds.

Air Con:
Next to useless. This was the main reason we chose the Iberostar Papagayo and not the Iberostar Lanzarote Park, which I believe does not have AC.

But that's all I can pick fault with and I'm not trying to put you off, it's a wonderful Hotel!

Location
For us, excellent. We like a walk. About 15-20mins into the Marina and another 30mins in to the main drag. Excellent walkway which stretches from one end of PB to the other, I wish every resort was like this!
If you are not keen on walking, there is a free shuttle bus into PB beach and back 4 times a day, but the last bus back is 5.30
Otherwise a taxi is cheap at approx 5 euros.

Staff
Can not praise them highly enough, especially the restaurant staff. Smiling, friendly, helpful, they are a credit. Arrive at the restaurant front and someone will be quickly over to find you a table. Sometimes at breakfast there is a small queue but we never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes. Bar staff also excellent.

Room
Bathroom/shower, wardrobe, safe, fridge (free water every day), old TV (why would you want a TV anyway), slightly dated decor but perfectly adequate, highlight was the sea view balcony.
Excellent cleaners. As I have said above the AC was fairly hopeless but maybe not as bad in all rooms.

Entertainment
We only popped into the downstairs lounge/bar twice, late on our way back from town, and it was very busy, kids seemed to be loving it. Mama-Mia show one night and some sort of magic show another night, I think they have something on every night except Saturday.

Food & All-inclusive
This is actually the first time we had taken the AI option, and it wasn't really something we targeted, it just wasn't that much more expensive than B&B so we decided to try it.
We are usually self-caterers and enjoy trying out all the local cafes/restaurants.

Breakfast - huge selection of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, breads, meats/cheeses, etc etc and hot station where chef fried eggs and made Tortilla (Spanish egg and potato cake), other hot stuff like bacon, beans, sausages etc. Cava was available some days too.
We used this every day and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only negative would be the coffee provided (rank) and the juice from the juice machine wasn't great.

Lunch - excellent. Wine, beer, juices as you wish, help yourself. Huge selection of cold salads, meats, veg dishes. Soup. Several hot options which changed daily, always pasta, pizza, paella etc. Very very good and take as long as you want, we regularly sat eating/drinking for 2hrs and then needed a siesta afterwards!

Dinner - believe it or not, considering we were AI, never tried it once! Big part of our holiday is getting out and trying restaurants and that's what we did.
One thing that slightly concerned me when we checked-in was that we were given silver wrist-bands and informed that our dinner time would be 7.00-8.15pm, and that Spanish people would have gold wristbands and have dinner from 8.00 -10pm.
Er, sorry but I'll have dinner when I want. I'm not sure how enforced this was.
Men must wear trousers for dinner, no shorts or 'sleeve-less shirts' (vests).

Bar
The bar area was open from 1200 - 2400 daily, and you could sit overlooking the pool area enjoying cocktails, beer, spirits, whatever. We used it most days for a few drinks before heading into town, and it certainly saved some cash.

Pool bar
Open from 1030 daily, breakfast options until 1230, lunch options until later, beer and drinks. Pretty basic but handy if you missed breakfast or lunch or couldn't be bothered going inside to the restaurant.

Other stuff
For sun-worshippers who don't get a spot at the pool, or maybe want peace and quiet, there is an area on the top of the hotel with sun beds, adults only, no facilities. It's not well signposted but just go to the top floor via the lifts or stairs at reception and you will find it.

Towels - you need to pay a €10 deposit per towel at reception, they give you a plastic token card which you then exchange for a towel at the Pool. You can change your towel every day, and when you are finished at the end of your holiday exchange towel for token and reclaim deposit at reception.

There is a supermarket just 2 mins walk up the street, handy for stocking your fridge with drinks!

WiFi
I believe there is 30mins free a day then it is chargeable.
There is a good 3G signal, and depending on your provider it may be as cheap using them rather than paying for the hotel WiFi, check before you go. I am with Vodafone and for me I paid £3 per day for unlimited data use (web, twitter etc).

All in all I highly recommend this hotel, I would certainly go back although maybe would investigate the Iberostar Lanzarote Park further, which certainly has a better pool.

Happy to answer any questions if folk email me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Stuarttaylor
Reviewed August 6, 2013

nothing to complain about but if I was to say something it would be its not 30 mins from the airport its more like a hr by the time they drop everyone off. and men do need some long trousers for evening dinner. great time we had & would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank football2005
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel and ammenities very good. Helpful,very friendly staff.Choice of food good in the main.Always plenty available as constantly being replenished. One massive negative on the food side is if you're a garlic hater. About 70% of the adult syle food is cooked with garlic!!Entertainment in evening (remembering that several different nationalities are catered for )from average to excellent.Nice quiet loaction, about a 40 minute walk to Playa Blanca town but there is a courtesy bus which takes you to the nearest beach.The town is then about a 10 minute walk.Would definately go back to this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Co-operative Travel
2  Thank nn84
Reviewed August 4, 2013

we are a family of 4 including 2 teenagers age 17 & 14, we booked on last minute 22nd july for 10 days, & were very pleased with this hotel, the reception staff are the most helpfull & friendliest I have ever come across in over 30 years of travel, in fact all the staff from bar staff to cleaners & entertainment are amazing,We went all inclusive as we have done for the past 15 years, the food is very good with lots of choice, the drinks include some international brands & presented very well.The hotel is situated in a very quite area & perhaps a little boring for our children in the evening, (probably best for couples with either young children or just as couples, but the marina is only a short walk with beautifull views along the sea front, they also provide a free bus into playa blanca which takes under 10 mins, a taxi is about 5 mins & costs around 3 euros. It is spotless clean everywhere in the hotel.The only thing that put me off a little when we first arrived was the reception area it is,nt very grand as in previous hotels we stayed in but as you dont live in reception it did,nt really matter. Had a room over looking the pool which was lovely, but if you wanted a seaview room it would cost 15 euros per night!! dont really agree with that. But I would most definately stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid overlooking the car park.
2  Thank william201021
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just back from 14 nights half board at the Iberostar Papagayo with my wife and 2 sons (7 & 9). It is a very friendly 4* family hotel, we really enjoyed our stay.

Things we liked very much:

* Very polite and friendly staff, especially at the restaurant and the animation team. You feel that most of them like to be & work there, it has a positive effect on the atmo.

* Special thanks to Sol, Megan & Stefan and the other members of the animation team. Our 2 boys Jona & Trikke really loved the programs. They have separate mini/maxi/teenie activities for 3 different age groups + activities for adults, we were surprised how well their programs are organized and how much fun our kids had. The activities are well chosen; focusing on the interaction between the kids more than on the activity itself so easy for the little guys to make new friends.

* The organization in the restaurant was really really good. Staff works hard but treat you with respect and are very friendly and polite. Even in high season the kitchen & restaurant staff managed to deal with all guests in a relative relaxed atmosphere, my compliments for that.

* We booked a junior suite with sea view. The view is just magnificent. The room is large enough but rather basic & standard, so don't expect a 5 star luxury class room. We would call this type of room rather 'a small studio without kitchen' instead of 'junior suite' to be honest.

* Breakfasts & diners were very good. As a sea food lover I enjoyed the buffets with fresh sushi, clams, lobster, squid,... really nice. Much better selection, taste and quality than the kitchen of the neighbouring Sandos Papagayo Arena resort that we visited 2 years ago. Only the dessert buffet could improve: did not like the long q at the ice cream, I guess this q indicated the limited choice of other desserts...

* We liked the blue ponton in the sea very much. Really fun to dive off and watch the fishes.

Things to improve:

* The water quality of the black pool: if this would be a light blue pool not a person would swim in it...not only the borders of these pools are dirty, if you swim with goggles you see how filthy the water really is. It seems as if the filter installation can't cope with all guests at max capacity. On top of that I had the impression that these pools were not cleaned daily, only 2 or 3 days out of 7. Also the 2 pool showers were often out of order. To be honest I would never expect this low degree of water hygiene in a 4* hotel.

* Too many guests versus too few beds and umbrellas. This hotel seems not to care too much for skin/sun protection of their guests. They had only about 25 mobile umbrella's available altough there was easily a need for 50 pieces or more. We saw families with children in the plain sun with no place to hide in the shade, really a shame. There was this rule about not reserving beds with towels but all did. If you do not put your towel before 8 AM you better plan something else to do that day.

* The role of the 2 safe guards could be questioned. It seems that they think they need to be asocial to guests to support their authority. It is a complete mismatch with all other friendly staff members in this hotel. Instead of having 2 safe guards with a mini-first-aid-kit this hotel perhaps should think about one good pool master that takes pride in his job and is responsible for both safety & hygiene of pools & surroundings (go and check the 5* H10 Meloneras hotel in Gran Canaria). More trash buckets could also help to keep the pool area clean.

* The sleeping comfort of our 2 boys on a sofa-bed was below standards we are used to. It was a narrow sleep for the boys and the bed was hanging down at the end. Not what you would expect in a 'junior suite'.

* According to strict hotel policy gents had to dine with long trousers in a too hot indoor restaurant, meanwhile there was obviously no ban on cheeky hot pants for the ladies though...
I would have appreciated more airco or ventilation in the restaurant.

Overall conclusion: the Iberostar Papagayo is located at a beautiful and quiet spot with beautiful sea views; it is maybe not the most luxurious hotel we stayed in but definitely the friendliest. Recommended for families with young children.

3  Thank chrisvissers