“More than adequate.....wife wants to go back !”

Hotel Rio Playa Blanca
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Just returned from a weeks vacation. Having read previous reviews I was pleasantly surprised at the standards set at Rio Playa Blanca. It certainly exceeded my expectations. The room, gardens and pool areas were spotless. The food was a bit repetitive but then again, you are having three meals a day? How many options do you have at home unless you dine out at a different themed restraunt each evening? The hotel staff were very good if perhaps over-worked. The entertainment staff were tremendous, full of energy, enthusiasm and patience.
This was only my second All Inclusive holiday and my first for twelve years so I cannot accurately compare like for like but we certainly enjoyed it. The hotel wasnt full and I suspect it may be too busy during the summer months which would obviously increase queuing times at the bars and restrict involvement in the daytime and evening activities. I believe one week is enough but if you fancy a good value short sunshine break out of high season then I recommend this hotel.
Briefly as regards the resort ...........Playa Blanca is lovely!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rio Playa Blanca

Reviewed March 6, 2010

On a week's holiday with mother and sisters. The staff at the hotel were helpful, cheerful and pleasant. Although the hotel is not situated close to the beach, it is only a ten minute walk away. There were plenty of sun beds around the pool if you did not want to go to the beach. Great value for money on all inclusive holiday and would most certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank NORNIE48
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I stayed there recently for 10 days with my wife and 3 yr old daughter and my wife's mother and father.

The ambience of the Hotel was fantastic, lovely attended/attractive gardens. Unfortunatley they attracted the mossies and my daughter was covered in bites by the end of the holiday, mostly around her face. (So jungle formula is a must)

The apartments were ok apart from the beds being a little firm. The cleaning standards though left a lot to be desired on some days. For instance when my father in-law first entered in to his apartment he had to sweep the floor himself with a hand brush as the floor was that dirty. He deposited what he swept up in to an envelope to hand in at reception. On other days floors were not swept and toilet rolls were not replinished. My 3 yr old daughter could make a better job of making the bedes as well. Also on two occasions we arrived back in the evening to find our patio doors wide open!!.. very strange.

The staff were always helpful but there never seemed to be enough of them especially in the resturant and the bars areas. I dont expect to wait for 20 minutes just to get a drink, which happened on several occasions.

The resturant food was pretty awful!... Carrots and runner beans for breakfast? whats all that about? Natrually they wasn't eaten so they ended up in the salads, rice and soups at lunchtime. Bacon on only 4 days of our stay the rest of the time it was fried ham. I never saw any fresh melon or pineapple all week. The food was never really hot so we was very grateful for the microwave.
One evening i witnessed one of the waitresses pick some chopped beetroot up from the salad bar and eat it. Not very proffesionel is it?

The local alcohol was just about passable if you like the wine to take the paint off your walls. Ok with a drop off 7 up in i suppose. The beer was fairly pleasant though. Diet cokes were watered down so never to pleasant.

Gutted the pool was never heated throughout our stay. Management said the boiler had broken but we have our doubts on that one. Kids pool was heated and they all had a great time. Not many ventured into the main pool though.

Entertainment guy's were great and the entertainment itself was satifactory.

This hotel should never be rated as 4 star my view is it should be 2 at the most. Ok if want a cheap no frills break as they say though "you get what you pay for"

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Read the mixed reviews and can happily reflect on a really good week at the Rio with my son (young adult). The place was spotless, welcoming and with good hard working staff.
Yes the food was average - sometimes not brilliant sometimes pretty good, but if you want consistently good food on all inclusive, anywhere in the world, then I think you have to settle for nothing less than 5 star and pay the accompanying price!
The general facilities were good and we were always able to get a game of footie, tennis, table tennis, pool etc whenever we wanted. The animation team were really good and there was lots to do if you wanted it - if you didn't then no hassle. The pool and surrounding area were outstanding and swimming was comfortable after the first 15 seconds!! Evening entertainment in the bar ranged from ok to really quite good.
10/15 minutes walk into Playa Blanca centre and the seafront walk, which actually starts very close to the Rio is superb.
£300 for the week, all inclusive and including flight from Manchester was, to us, an absolute bargain - we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed February 24, 2010

just come back from a week at the rio playa blanca and had a great time despite awful weather. The hotel is ideal for families with young children as there are spacious grounds and the bungalows don't have any steps or balconies which are often a worry when abroad with toddlers. The bungalows are very spacious with lovely private terrace though I would agree with other comments regarding the beds being uncomfortable and there being a lot of mosquitoes around - my husband was bitten several times so go prepared to tackle them!

We thought the food was great with plenty of choice for all 3 meals each day. There were sometimes queues for the bar especially in the evening but you never had to wait that long as the staff are very efficient. Plenty of highchairs in the restaurant and a microwave to warm baby food/milk.

The children's pool was heated but the main pool wasnt so I didnt venture in. The animation team were great and worked hard to entertain young and old all day. Our kids loved the mini disco each night and the shows. There was also free bingo every night.

The main resort is about 15 minute walk away and was very pleasant with lots of shops and restaurants along the front. We also found a great pirate ship playground for the kids in the resort centre.

We were very unlucky with the weather (3 days of rain) but still had a great time and would recommend the hotel and resort for young famlies.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Having read the very mixed reviews.for this hotel, we were a little apprehensive about what we would find. However, we needn't have worried. We were checked in within minutes by Renata, and were in our bungalow within 10 minutes of getting off the bus.
The bungalow was very spacious and spotlessly clean. A little basic, but it was what I would have expected for the price. The patio was a proper little suntrap and we could have spent more time sitting there had it been later in the year. The air conditioning worked perfectly well as a heater on the one cool night that we had, and it did chill the air when I tried it. We did have 1 mozzie in the bedroom and I was bitten once, but no problem after spending 7 euros on a plug-in insect killer in the on-site supermarket.
The pool area is beautifully clean and we never had a problem getting a sunbed, regardless of how late we had breakfast (which is served until 10-30) Yes, the water was very cold, depite being advertised as heated, but what the hell..it's the beginning of February, and and to sunbathe in 22 - 24 degrees every day (we only had half a day of cloud out of 7 days) more than compensated for the pool. Also we found most of the pool area quite well sheltered from the breeze, so again found it lovely and warm all day. The service at the pool bar could be a shade slow, but hey, what's the panic, you're on holiday!
We both found the food excellent with plenty of choice at every meal. I don't know what people complaining about the food being bland and cold have been eating as we found plenty of variety of meat and seafood dishes with accompanying veg and salads always piping hot and fresh. Also there were a couple of microwaves there if you needed them, although we never did. If you want to eat hamburgers and pizza every meal then this probably isn't for you.
The evening entertainment wasn't often to our taste, but this isn't a criticism. Juan behind the bar was a hoot, especially when playing the slave-driver to 'Juanito', his son. Again the service could be a little slow, but again what's the panic? Incidentally we both found the spirit measures larger than anywhere else we have stayed in recent years.
The resort centre is about 15 minutes stroll away, and there are plenty of shops,bars and restaurants to choose from. Tip :- the ones on the seafront are almost double the price of the ones on the street of shops. We paid 7.50 euros for 1 pint of beer and a Fanta lemon on the front, but only 4 in a lovely little bar on the main street.
All in all we had a fantastic relaxing week here, and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends. The Ritz it isn't, but in terms of value for money- brilliant.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tainboy57
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Having read the reviews on tripadvisor I booked this with some trepidation and certainly knew not to expect a 4 star hotel. Even expecting the worst didn't fully prepare us for the reality.

The positives first, the bunglaows are spacious and set in lovely grounds, they're fairly quiet and thanks to the time of year it didn't feel crowded.

Unfortunately for me the lovely grounds also turned into a negative as all the plants meant I got absoloutely bitten to pieces by the mozzies (I stopped counting when i had 20 bites on my face and 10 on each hand let alone the rest of my body, no part escaped!) So if you are going make sure you're armed with heavy duty insect repellant.

The bungalows were fairly clean and someone came in and cleaned daily, unfortunately this also turned into a negative since each time someone came in they left the bunglaow unlocked. As they came in the morning and we were usually out all day this meant we had no choice but to pay for the safe (only 2 euros a day so not a huge amount but it was the total disregard for our security that was annoying.)

Moving on to the actual negatives:
- Hard, uncomfortable beds with old scratchy blankets and which were not particularly clean.
- "White" towels which were dirty and stained.
- Air-conditioning unit that did not work.
- Patio seating that appeared old and which was proved to be unsafe to use when one broke under my pregnant friend (other guests we spoke reported similar incidents)
- Very repetitive food, barely warm on the buffet and never hot so we paid to eat out despite being all inclusive. Seriously; worst. food. ever.
- Temperamental shower with temperature going from scalding hot one minute to ice cold the next
- Dining room and bars were always busy and were understaffed which meant that we had to wait a long time for drinks, find a table at dinner, find glasses at dinner, clear your own table. The staff that were on duty were plainly overworked but somehow most managed to remain cheerful so deserve to be congratulated.
- Music blaring over the sound system (Crazy Frog?????? ) throughout the day while trying to relax by the pool.
-Heated swimming pool which was never heated.
Part of the reason we booked was all the info said the pool was heated from Nov - March. As all the recent reviews mention this is a lie and don't be fooled into thinking it won't be that bad. I've swam in the North Sea in March and that felt like the Caribbean compared to the Rio Playa Blanca pool, it's arctic and the only time I managed to get in was after a gallon of the all inclusive beer to amke it through the challenge of getting in the pool once!
- Location: We found this to be a long walk down a dark road to get to the resort centre (the old harbour and seafront area.) I would say it was at least 1.5 - 2 miles, which when going out for dinner a 4 mile walk is a bit more than an evening stroll.

I'm not a snob, my usual holiday in summer is camping so I don't mind 'roughing' it and cleaning up after myself etc. and for the price we paid I knew not to expect luxury. I do think though guests should be able to expect what the hotel advertises and this one doesn't deliver! This is advertised as a 4 star hotel but I can only think those 4 stars were awarded 10 years ago and in the last decade at least 2 of the stars have got lost along the way.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends