“Didn't want to go home!”

HL Hotel Rio Playa Blanca
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Didn't want to go home!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed for 10 nights all inclusive, and were gutted to be going home. It was our 1st holiday abroad as a family of 5, the youngest 2 children had never been over seas until this holiday. Our boys, aged 8 and 5 spent most of their time in the pool and made some great new friends, who they are now pen friends with. We were a little weary going all inclusive as have been previously to other all inclusive hotels and been stuck with larger lout Brits, but thankfully all of the families at the Rio Playa Blanca were lovely.

The waiting staff were very helpful and we were amazed at how hard they worked to keep the dining room clean and keep tables ready for use. As we were in a party of 11, the staff asked if we would like a table reserving each meal time, and even made sure a high chair was ready for my daughter.

I found that the meals were great for our family. The children all have different tastes but were happy with the choices available and went back for seconds most meal times.

It was good be able to let the children go to the bar to get their soft drinks as they wanted, this would have cost us a fortune if not all inclusive! Our 5 year old son, Oliver made good friends with "Mario" a member of the bar/catering team, who called Oli his best friend. All of the staff were great to our children. The kids loved the evening 'Mini Disco' where they learned songs and dances from different countries.

The rooms were spacious (even for our big family). The bedding and towels were clean and changed regularly. Yes, if I was being picky, the rooms are slightly dated and could do with freshening up, but overall we were quite happy with the accommodation.

2 Thank Rebecca B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just returned from an 8 day stay in this hotel and just don't see why people are putting all the negative comments. If I wanted to be really ruthless then yes the beds aren't like home and you do get some noise from the water in the bathroom during the night and I would say its nearer 3* than 4 and the pool was cold however here's the great positives. The location is peaceful , the food is great and varied, the staff are friendly and polite , the entertainment for the kids is lively , rooms are cleaned and freshened daily , kids and adults loved the choice of 3 pools, there are plenty of sun beds , 15 min walk to the beach which was lovely , tables in restaurant were quickly cleared ready for the next holidaymakers, All inclusive recommended for families pays for itself as we had around 2 visits at each meal both mains and desserts ( lovely) and beer and wine self service with meals. I would definitely recommend this if , like us , you wanted to relax , enjoy and soak up the sun - would definitely go again it was brilliant.

4 Thank Lee S
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Just back from 2 weeks. Room was adequate - only for changing and sleeping really. Spent all day outdoors and evenings in the bar area. Beds are not comfy and needed to do the stretching & yoga in the mornings! Very creaky beds so every time you turn over it wakens whoever else is in the room. There were a few ants but room next to us had more but were given powder to put down. Tv remote is €10 but fefunded when you hand it back. Not worth having as only english channels were sky news & a cartoon channel which kept my son entertained before dinner. First week was quiet as just before change of season. Could get a sun lounger anytime and no towels out as signs say no reserving or towels would be removed. Animation team were so friendly and did so much for us and my 5 year old son. 2nd week was mayhem. Towels on longers from before 8am. 3 loungers next to us had towels on when we arrived back from beach at 12.45 and people eventually appeared at 4pm. Woman got in a strop cos I'd thrown her towel onto the next lounger so my son could actually lie down for a little while. Long queues in restaurant and tables not cleared very fast so sometimes we had our main course dishes still sitting while we were having dessert. Change of animation team so only 2 original ones from our 1st week during the day and new ones at night - some not so friendly. On the whole, staff were nice and we got to know a few of them well. Was quite sad to leave. Busier also meant long queue at the bar and most of the time only 1 barman. Sometimes 2. None of the pools were heated and so were always freezing. I did not use them much and my son had to come out every so often to heat up. He actually shivered. Food was very repetitive. Chips, rice, pork, chicken and pasta every lunch & dinner for 2 weeks with 1 other choice on the grill. Was usually roast chicken but twice there was fajitas and burgers. On the whole this is a nice hotel but would not like to be there for 2 weeks when full.

Room Tip: All rooms are away from pool and bar area so youl do not hear anything at night. Only noise was suit...
1 Thank D0ris75
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We came home yesterday and I've just looked at the reviews for the first time and I cannot understand those who have been critical about this hotel. My husband, daughter and myself had a really lovely time and thought that the staff were excellent. The food was so good that we've all put on nearly half a stone after our two week holiday! The bungalows were set in beautiful gardens and were away from any noise from the hotel and pool. Thank you to all the hard working staff for looking after us so well. I would certainly recommend the hotel to family and friends.

2 Thank Lin229
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I've just returned from a weeks holiday here with my father and two children, The bungalow we stayed in was very basic the tap in the bathroom was wobbly, the plug socket in the kitchen wasn't really attached to the wall properly, and the tiled skirting some was coming off, the dining room gets very busy the tables aren't cleared very quickly and the food was average and repetitive, no wifi in the bungalows, pool was freezing not heated, and beware of the receptionist very rude lady!!!! No customer service skills what so ever, we had an incident in the reception area where I was asking her for bus times, as I walked back to my family who were sitting in reception waiting for me, my eldest son sat down at the same time and slightly knocked the bottom of the coffee table with his foot, which was like outside garden furniture with a glass top, unfortunately for us there was a 3" piece of glass somebody had already broken!!!!! as my son knocked the bottom of the table the little piece of glass fell on the floor the receptionist rushed over pointing her finger in my face accusing my son of breaking the glass which he did not !!! She wasn't interested in listening she just accused us of breaking it which we did not!!!! If we had we would of apologised and paid for the damages, we didn't receive an apology this spoilt the rest of our holiday there is no CCTV in the main reception room I wish there was!!!! The holiday for a week wasn't cheap I feel very disappointed and let down its definitely not 4 star accommodation I've stayed in far nicer 4 star accommodation would not return to this hotel if paid me!!!!!

4 Thank Rebecca R

Travelers are raving about these Playa Blanca hotels

Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

just got back from 10 nights at this hotel and got to say its 2/3 star at best, bar staff are ignorant unless your spanish of course! and the entertainment is terrible really neeeds some investment here, the area itself is lovely and the restaurant staff are really friendly. the pool is so cold the kids couldnt go in which ruins the holiday for them. wont ever return

1 Thank steven w
Gorizia, Italy
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I've been in this hotel for two nights, because my girlfriend had booked there.
I can only say that the staff is ok, kind and helps where they can, but some things should be adjusted. The food is better than no comment because I would be too bad. As the location is quiet, but far from the beach. I do not recommend this hotel. The animation does not exist.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple