“Good complex with room for improvement”

and 1 more site!
TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Tyne and Wear
“Good complex with room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

We booked on Monday 12 July and travelled Thursday 15 July so for booking last minute we were overall pleased with the outcome.

The staff here work extremely hard all day every day and do so with a smile on their face. This includes the maids and grounds staff who kept the complex clean throughout the day and always gave us an hello,

The room was a very good size and well equipped........in fact considering we were all inclusive it was better equipped than any self catering apartment we have stayed in! Our first night we woke up freezing cold which was a shock to both of us. However, the extra thick blanket did the trick and we enjoyed comfortable sleeps without the usual waking up hot and sweaty.

Massive downside to our room was the constant smell from the drains. We complained the first day and whilst initially it did go it soon came back. Most days this wasn't too bad and when we returned from day/night out we simply opened the windows and doors to air the place and this seemed to work. Sadly one night was particularly bad and the bathroom had a strong sulphur smell (which did at least go by morning). There were others with similar problem so it really does need looking at to try and resolve once and for all. We stayed in room B11.................the shame of it was we were nicely located as it is away from main pool and entertainment area and had it not been for the smell the room comfort would have been excellent.

Food was okay and we really didn't have to queue very much. For us, the biggest issue was the sheer chaos!! Whether this was down to the number of diners or the speed at which the staff work we are not sure but it didn't make for a very relaxing environment and we just didn't enjoy the experience of eating in there. For lunch times we opted to takeaway back to our room but when it came to evening meals we ended up eating out 3 nights. The sports bar isn't as busy we just didn't fancy the food on offer. The Tapas had a lovely laid back feel and we enjoyed our night there.

We felt that it lacked a bar with a real chilled/relaxed feel......I know this is a family orientated hotel but it would be nice to have at least one bar on offer with a slightly different vibe. Even in the sports bar it is not that relaxed as you are sitting enjoying evening drinks and the staff are whizzing around setting up the empty tables for breakfast!!!

This is the first time we have gone all inclusive and we enjoyed having water and other drinks available throughout the day. Likewise it made a nice change being able to get breakfast and lunch so easily to hand. We will certainly give all inclusive hotels another go and will definitely return to Lanzarote at some point in the future.......although perhaps not at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redlind
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Hi, thanks for your comments and feedback on the complex. We are continually aiming to improve our holiday offering and have also received many great comments from our customers. We hope that you will return to Lanzarote in the future or maybe to another holiday Village around the world….we have new complexes opening in Tunisia and Tenerife next summer!

Simon and Angel - Holiday Village Flamingo Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
west midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

If you are reading this review then stay away from this hotel because you will regret it trust me we did. We stayed for 2 weeks and wanted to come home after the first week.

The rooms were ok cleaned every 2 days and the cleaning staff were friendly and always spoke. The entertainment staff were excellent and thats all for the good points.

The food was not good at all, very repetative, my partner got food poisoning and was stuck in the room for 2 days, my daughter had a raw piece of chicken, my beef was still dripping with blood. Everything was to a schedule so always rushing around for meal times. Had to come from the pool early just so we could get ready to go and have tea, then get a seat in the Blue Moon Bar otherwise could not get a seat to watch the entertainment. Even that got a bit boring we watched some of the shows twice.

The sunbeds were a real problem, the first week i had to get up at 5AM to put my towels on the beds. Did not like doing this but as all other guests were doing it some evan at 2AM. By the second week the reps told all that if towels were left on the beds before 9AM they would get taken off. This did not happen very often by this time i was having to get up at 7.30AM and sit on the beds otherwise would not be able to get any. We had to sit around until 9AM before we could move and go for breakfast. There were far to many beds around the main pool but there was still not enough beds by far for all guests. You were lying on top of each other how close they were together. The pool was freezing cold like ice water kids were going in but when coming out there lips were blue and could not get warm. This did not improve even when the weather picked up. The main pool was used by lots of people but when the entertainment team done any activities in the poool they decided to block half the pool off. This was a pain when trying to swim has pool got packed. Far too many kids i have 2 of my own but when trying to sunbathe the other kids throught it would be good to keep squirting you and this got annoying after about the 50th time.

The all inclusive drinks were only local brands and were not the best, only had one larger local stuff called tropical and did not taste very nice, the cocktails were never the same even though should have been the same cocktail.

All in all i would not recommend this hotel to anyone and i will never return. I have been put off Holiday Villages for life and this was my first and probably my last.

I would recommend that if you get the chance do go on the Catlanza Boat Trip this is a little expensive but well worth the money.

1 Thank kirsty_partridge
Hi, thanks for your comments. We will look at your comments about the veggie offering on the complex and look to improve this for our customers. Our clubs are run on a ratio of 1 instructor to 8 children and only operate together if the numbers are too low to run 2 separate clubs but at this time of year the clubs are running as 2 separate operations so I’m disappointed that your child didn’t enjoy her session. We hope that you will try another Holiday Village in the future and thank-you for your comments.

Newcastle, Staffs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We have recently returned from a weeks stay at the holiday village and to be honest upon arrival I wanted to turn around and come straight back home. We were given an awful room far away from pools etc and the map we were given and the way we were told to go we had to battle with 150 steps with 4 heavy suitcases and a baby in a pushchair as you just make your own way to your room with your cases. We were a family of 5 and the room was far too small, for some reason the travel cot was placed in the lounge but you couldn't get past it to get to the bathroom hence the lack of space. I did complain and we were given a different room in a better location but it had a terrible smell of drains but this I decided to put up with as I really couldn't face moving again. The hotel does have ramps but I only found these the next day.
Like all the previous reports it can be hard work to get a sunbed we never bothered to try around the main pool because all the beds were taken by around 8am if you put towels down before 9am the reps would remove them but what people do now is sit on the sunbeds so the reps can't remove them. We always went around the mickey mouse pool where you normally managed to get a sunbed up to about 9- 9.30am but you need to be earlier if you want a parasol. The quite pool is more like inflatable hell and obviously really cold but I braved it with my 4 year old to try and encourage her to do some swimming but this was just impossible with too many huge inflatables in there. The staff both local's and first choice are very nice and work hard especially the one's in the restaurant where my baby daughter was a huge hit and everyone wanted a cuddle. The maid wasn't great and often I couldn't tell whether she had been or not the only give away was if the bed was made but one day one bed was made and not the other one so I think she must of simply forgotten. The rooms, I found just too small but I am sure if you don't need a cot then it would have been fine. Upon collecting my tickets I was told that the beach was open which is not the case and we never saw any work going on so I think this will be closed for a while longer. The hotel does run transport to a beach but for us this wasn't an option with a young baby. My older child went to wavelength which he loved to the point that we hardly saw him just at mealtimes. My 4 year old wasn't too keen on her club and to be honest neither was I as upon signing her up I was told that they run the 3-5 year olds and 6-8 year olds sessions together for the 1st 3 sessions, this is before they have any idea of numbers and I think there is a huge difference between a 3 year old and a 8 year old and the bulk of the children were older, so if like me you have booked thinking that a younger child will be ok as they will be with other young children prepare to be disappointed.
The food was really nice unless you're a veggie like me, I stuggled to eat most nights but in the end on our last night I spoke to the chef to see if he could make me something and I was given a plate of onion and peppers that had been roasted which was ok, my hubby who is a real meat eater said the meat was fab and the kids ate every night so that is the main thing.
All in all, the local's are some of the nicest you will meet, the hotel itself is looking really tired and for the amount of people staying there it is simply to small maybe when the beach opens and people are able to leave the pool area the place could have a different feel but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like wall to wall people.

Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had a fantastic time here. We stayed for 2 weeks from the end of June. Can see why people complain about this complex - it was the cleanest I have ever stayed in, staff were superb, both hotel abd First Choice.
Yes people do queue for the buffet when they serve at both sides, dont get that but there was always plenty both quality and quantity. Loved the take away boxes if you wanted to sit at the pool or back to your room.
We had a lovely room with a terrace front and back. Grounds and communal areas were kept spotless by the hardest ever cleaning staff I have seen. We were grumbling it was too warm to sit out and there they were toiling away with a smile on their face.
This holiday was superb value for money. I have stayed in Playa Blanca twice now, it really is a lovely resort. If I return in the future, it will definitly be to Flamingo Beach.

2 Thank Ammmartin
Hi, Thanks for your comments about the complex and also the staff from both the hotel and also First Choice. We will pas on your comments to the cleaners and the ground staff as they work very hard to make sure the complex is spotlessly clean. As you said, Playa Blanca is a great resort and we look forward to seeing you on your 3rd visit.

buckinhamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I have just spent two weeks at this hotel, and because I have a little difficulty walking I had to ask for help. The reps working there as indeed all the staff were very willing and helped me with good grace, a special thank you to Dave, you were really good. We were surprised at the number of children that were at the hotel and had we known beforehand we may have chosen somewhere a little quieter.

We had only one complaint, the variety of food on offer was great but in so many instances it was not cooked properly and whatever I chose 80% was left on the plate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irish0695
Hi, thanks for your comments. Holiday Villages cater mainly for families and at this time of year we receive many children and their families. We will pass your comments onto Dave who works tirelessly on complex to make our customers have great holidays!

Stirling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

Hi there
Just returned from holiday here and it was a great holiday, the staff where all so friendly and very helpful.
The Food was excellent and some of the chefs were british so they knew how to cater for us.
The rooms where very clean and spacious they are the cleanist apartments we have experienced apart from a timeshare one we have been to.
The Blue Moon Bar where the entertainment took place was very busy at night the bar staff where very friendly and always looked out for the kids.
No need to take towels can hire from the hotel.
Cinema for the kids which is a good size.
Kids clubs on everyday but my girl who is 8 was quite happy playing at the pool all day she went to the kids club only twice.
The entertainment at night is Bingo a show and then some dancing for the older kids. This did this get a bit repetative, but all in all the entertainment staff did a good job.
The sunbed issue was a bit of a task, but the hotel have now addressed this issue so it should be a lot easier.
All the staff work very hard to keep the standard of the hotel up so well done to them.
LOved this Hotel and would return and the beach should be open when we get back so that will be better.
You can also walk down into Playa Blanca this is a nice relaxing walk and the shops are also great.
We all enjoyed this holiday the hotel was spotless, the food was great and the Kids are well catered for.
Go for it and have a Ball !!!!!

2 Thank Baltolori
Hi, We’re glad you had a ball at the Holiday Village. We will pass on your comments to the entertainment team who are keen to please all their customers and will no doubt take these on-board. Look forward to seeing you again.

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed here for two weeks and are in the process of booking for next year. The entertainment staff were amazing tey work so hard and make sure you all have a good time. The kids clubs were run fantastically well and when I asked my son what he thought of the reps he said "Awesome". The waiters and bar staff work very hard. There were a couple of nights that we had to queue for dinner but the queues went down quickly. Looking forward to going back next year possibly with friends!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank noofywoo
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Hi, Many thanks for your fabulous comments and we will pass the comments onto the team who will be very pleased to hear them. We look forward to seeing you again next summer.

Simon – Holiday Village Manager
Los Zocos Club Resort
Los Zocos Club Resort
#11 of 38 in Costa Teguise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!