“Fantastic Fortnight”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Fortnight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Just got back from a wonderful holiday at this resort . Stayed at the First Choice holiday village . Took my wife , son 12 and father 69 . We all had a great time as every age group was catered for . My son enroled in the Reebok football academy and he loved it . The coaches Ian and Sam were fantastic with him and had some good banter with him . I also got on well with them as I played in a few adult football games . I became good friends with Ian in just a short space of time and , we are going to keep in touch .The entertainment team were brilliant , Leanne was lots of fun as was Steve , John , Stuart and Ricky . A special mention has to go to James who just seemed as if he was born to do the job . He took time to get to know you and was just a really genuine friendly guy . Every resort should have a ' James ' . The food was excellent with plenty of choice . My son has an egg allergy and the staff bent over backwards to ensure he was taken care of . One in particular was Carl the chef . There was fish and chips on the menu one night and I asked Carl if there was egg in the batter . He informed me there was . He then went and made some without egg just for my son which I thought was so helpful . Nicole the on-site holiday advisor could not do enough for us either . There was football , water polo , table tennis , rounders , aqua olympics , crocket ( a cross between rounders and cricket ) pool and poker . There was also countless activities for toddlers and everyone I met who had toddlers told me their kids were having a ball . I would recommend this resort for anyone with kids but even my 69 year old dad had a cracking time .

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

I stayed at Flamingo Beach hotel during the 08/07/10 - 15/07/10 with my wife and two children (1 and 4) and my parents and we had the holiday of a lifetime! The beach is closed however it is notified on all the websites and there is a beach 15 mins down the road which the hotel will lay a free bus on for you! I’m not much of a beach person however the walk to the harbour 1 mile along the coast is beautiful and there are some amazing restaurants available should you wish to eat out. We did not eat out due to the amount of choice available to us in the hotel. The food was plenty and well cooked and I must say was a delight! My father is worse than the kids when it comes to all inclusive food however he thought it was the best he has ever experienced! I also was very impressed that the hotel had a take-a-way option so you could eat by the pool. At first I thought this may be a bad idea as there will be loads of litter around the pool, however I did not see any litter anywhere at any point of my stay! The hotel is so clean I’m sure it will give most NHS hospitals a run for there money! I have never seen a hotel change all there bins every two hours and not only replace the bin bags but was the bins inside and out with bleach and polish them off! You could see you face in them (so impressed!). The drink was a delight and was always fresh the beer spirits and wine were a good quality! (The bar staff are very generous with there measures) I asked the bar man why they are all so generous with the measures and his reply was "you don’t have to drive tonight do you" :).
My children loved the food and especially the ice cream that is available all day and night! And would you believe its cart dor?!?!?! i nearly fell backwards when I found out how do they make there money? There are plenty for the kids to do the reebook soccer school looked impressive but it started from five years and is at an extra cost and so are the swimming lessons! The kids clubs are free and are well organised you child is signed in and out and can only be signed out by the authorised signature they have on file!
the trips we done were the submarine which is NOT value for money, you are paying for the use of the submarine rather than the experience you would be better off coming to my house and ill feed some fish from my tank and you will be as impressed.
The second trip we had was the water park, this cost me my wife and two boys 160 Euros and when we arrived we had to hire the rubber rings to use the slides which I thought was a bit off! However the slides were great I had a fun time but don’t think it was that great for the kids as the slide were more aimed at children over 6.
Overall the entire trip was brilliant the last two all inclusive I have stayed at were Antigua Sharm El Sheik and I can say both were 5 star but not a patch on the holiday village! All the staff were great and made the holiday fab! I’m definitely going to book a holiday village again next year as want to try all of there villages I’m thinking probably Turkey!

Adios

4 Thank buffdaddy_10
FC_Holiday_Village, Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Hi, these are great comments from what sounds like a fab holiday. We’re pleased you enjoyed the kids clubs and the take-away food options which are proving really popular. Thanks for posting such great comments and could we suggest the Holiday Villages in Portugal, Cyprus, or my favourite; Mallorca.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

The Playa Flamingo Beach Resort is fab! The apartment’s are gorgeous, the resort is gorgeous and maintained to the highest standards, the food is beautiful and the location is great. On the food front there is definitely some pandering to the English tastebuds (eg. morning fry up) but always something for everyone. Having no self control where good food is concerned I put on about half a stone in weight while there. (Got it off since in case you're concerned)

The staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. The beach is closed, that is a bummer and the sunbeds at the main pool are gone by early morning. (On one occasion I looked out at 7am and there was a towel on EVERY sunbed – are these people kra-zeee?)

I flew from Dublin and was surprised that nearly all other tourists at Playa Flamingo were British. For any Irish travellers, visually this means a heck of a lot more Enger-land tops and union jack paraphernalia where you might have expected GAA tops.

Annoyingly, Irish people are expected to assimilate throughout their stay – entertainment is English orientated in the extreme eg.Bingo and table quizzes reflecting English cultural norms. At the kids club (which is excellent, my son thoroughly enjoyed it and the staff were fantastic) we were told the British qualifications of the childcare staff but they were unable to tell us the equivalent Irish qualification. Again, as we booked through an Irish carrier this was very annoying. On many occasions where these small issues arose First Choise reps seemed surprised to learn that Ireland is actually an independent country and no longer part of the British colonies. This was a genuine lack of knowledge on the part of the reps and not intended to cause offense to us- they were all super friendly and helpful - but it really did make us wonder about the British education system.

Another shocker for my husband and I was the love shown for queueing. People would actually queue for the buffet, the dining hall is huge and rather than popping into the area where the food you want is, people would actually begin a queue at one end of the hall and work their way through. This, of course, caused huge congestion not to mention a ridiculous and unwarranted wait for food. The concept of queueing at such a large buffet seems quite bizarre. An even bigger shocker was the queue for the bar – for anyone used to Dublin pubs you will be familiar with the rugby scrum gathering at the bar where getting a drink is truly a survival of the fittest matter – not here, all punters form an orderly queue. Perverse.
And grumbling, god that was annoying, the complaining could be related to the length of the queue (don’t get me started!) or something quite obtuse. On one occasion when queuing for the bar two men in front were complaining about the lack of seats/tables in the bar. I looked around, there were at least 20 vacant tables in the bar at the precise time of this conversation.
Another one for Irish travellers to look out for; the British kids here were very disciplined, it was quite shocking to see kids do what they had been asked to do. Am not sure I've seen that before - perhaps it was an anomally but I did leave thinking that there was a parenting gene absent amongst us Irish.

So it would appear many stereotypes are not without their grounds however I think First Choice / Falcon should really put a considerable effort into ensuring that multiple cultural and social backgrounds are catered for on their holidays, I would definitely see that this holiday catered for white, middle classed English and was hugely lacking for that. Britain is such a vastly multicultural country why are holidays segregated? I found it annoying to be considered the ‘other’ throughout my two week stay. If First Choice could do something to stop people whinging about nothing that too would be good; I had considered the use of a cattle prod myself. Perhaps all package holidays are like this, I wouldn’t know as this was my first packager.
Having said all this, Playa Flamingo was fab and I would defo go again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bmgfam
Hi, many thanks for your comments and we will take them on board and address these with the staff. We are very proud to welcome our customers from Falcon and Ireland. We’re glad that you had a great time with us and we hope that this will be the first of many package holidays with Falcon and First Choice and the first of many visits to Holiday Village Flamingo Beach.

Kidderminster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

Arrived Sun 27 June to pleasant hotel laid out as village with apartments. Very clean and very friendly staff who looked after the grounds and rooms well. However our apartment smelled of sewage and the reception seemed unable to do anything about it despite 3 complaints. It made the rooms unpleasant to sit in and sleep in. The smell was wafting all along the A & B block all week.
Sunbeds were not to be had and the beach closure is likely to last all summer. Food was plentiful but the meat was tough. The Italian and Spanish restaurants were fine but coule only visit once during your stay.We eat out to supplement the motorway services style of eating with lukewarm food.
Not a place we would go back to as limited number of places to see and we are not much interested in lying by noisy pools (even the quiet pool).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hi, thanks for your comments. Please read our previous comments about the sun beds. We are continually taking on board our customer’s comments and trying to improve our very good service levels. We hope that you will try another Holiday Village in the future.

north wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

We arrived on the 1st of july after a four hour delay which is no ones fault! The pilot blamed it on the french shutting down there air space!! We arrived at 9pm and were told to leave our bags and go straight for dinner which was really good. Once checked in we went to the room and found they had left flowers, colouring pictures and lollies out for our girls. everywhere was spotless in the hotel could not fault it. I had e-mailed the manager beforehand and requested a couple of things which we got so a big thank you Angel! The hotel staff are always smiling and very friendly they work so hard. Night time entertainment was very good, the girls loved i5 live! If you don't clap and join in you get chased out of the club like i did by kerry thanks to ricky who called me an ogre and shrek when i was on the run!! Everyone of the first choice reps work so hard and deserve a medal. The sunbeds were a nightmare, so i joined them and got up early to do the towel run, however letters were sent to everyone and i did see the reps remove the towels if they were left there before 9 a.m unattended.People started sitting on the sunbeds at 8.30 to reserve them and I was one of them to be able to get a bed. One down side, don't expect a late check out as they will not give you one, they will tell you you might have to pay and come back the day before check out, you will get a room for half an hour though which is not good when you have kids. Would i return? No only reason for this is we like to go different places every year. But i would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hi, thanks for your fab comments and we will pass these onto the staff especially the entertainment team and we’re glad the girls enjoyed the i5live. We wish more people would not reserve the sun beds before 9am and we now have a policy in place to prevent this. The hotel is full for August so we can’t offer any late check-out rooms but we are working hard to ensure there are enough courtesy rooms so you can have a shower and change before you go to the airport. It’s great to try new destinations and why not try another Holiday Village, maybe one of the new ones in Tunisia or Tenerife.

GLASGOW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

On arrival we were met with a large Q at check-in ( 2 busloads with only 2 receptionists!)....... this did not bode well. As we arrived at night the area around the rooms is very dark therefore we got lost trying to find our room (directions given at reception were not helpfull).
Positives - The hotel is lovely and clean and all the staff encountered were friendly & helpfull.
Negatives - the beach is closed and the sunbed situation is just ridiculous! On our last day the hotel issued all guests a letter stating that towels should not be put on beds before 9am to reserve them. This issue is not the hotels fault but I didn't see them remove any towels as promised in the letter. Be up early if you want a bed! The beach is a 30 mins walk away or 5 mins on the bus. The beach is lovely and we spent a lot of time here as the poolside is far too busy. Even the "quiet pool" had idiots swimming fully clothed with sandals. When the beach opens (not anytime this year if you ask me) I am sure the sunbed situation will improve. Packlunches are available to take to the beach but after the 4th day of cheese and ham sandwiches we were fed up and ate at the beach.(so much for an all inclusive holiday)
The restaurants were very busy and again you had to Q! Felt like a motorway cafe. The food was lovely but always lukewarm never hot! We found if we ate at about 6.30pm the Qs weren't so bad. One evening we counted 34 people in a Q waiting at the Blue Moon Bar (entertainment area) to be served.
Lanzarote is a lovely island & we will certainly return. The Papagaya Beach and the National Park are well worth a look for a day out.
Overall we made the most of things and had a good holiday but this hotel does not have the facilities in terms of restaurant capacity or sunbed capacity/pool space to deal with the number of guests. It was not the relaxing holiday I imagined as we had to set alarm clocks for sunbeds, breakfast & the tight schedule for lunch & dinner to avoid the Qs! If I could have changed hotels before I left I would have.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JAKE13GLASGOW
Hi, thanks for your comments. The hotel does have a policy to remove any towels left on sun beds before 9am and the First Choice Holiday Advisors collect these every day and place them on the outdoor stage. We welcome your comments and we are continually trying to lessen the queues. We hope that you had a good time with us and look forward to you going to another Holiday Village in the future.

Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just returned from Flamingo Beach at 4.30am...had my little sleep, clothes in washer so thought i would write my review. This place is great. We too were worried following all the negative comments....dont be!!! I e-mailed Angel the Manager before our stay and asked for 2 rooms together with lovely view if possible...this we got.. view - what a view it was stunning. The complex was always clean. The reception staff were helpful - the hotel had even laid on a snack when we arrived late at night which was great. There are a few negatives but nothing major.....will start with them to get them out the way!!

Sunbeds....oh what can i say - the germans have nothing on the English who were there with us. some towels were put on at 3am. After a protest in the pool by some residents at midnight the hotel did something about it. No towels on sunbeds before 9am.....luckily we were leaving 2 days after this enforcement as if you had a towel on the bed and you wasnt sitting on i then woop its gone!! I can see trouble ahead :) To be fair there are no enough beds for the complex -- esp with the beach shut. Yes the beach. Its going to be stunning when finished but obviously the closure of the beach caused it to be more hectic round the pool so you had a knock on effect. People werent happy but it didnt spoil our holidays. One day we walked to the beach which was a lovely stroll along the promenade about 25 mins (definately try the ice cream parlour near the ferry)the other day we got the 14 seater courtesy bus (not 40 as i was told - which meant not many per day could get a bus to the beach) think this may need addressing in high season. The food was nice but the hustle and bustle in the restaurant at night could be hectic...great idea with the take out boxes for lunch :)

Ok so thats the negatives done - not alot on the whole but the positives were good.

Lovely stunning views from the complex to the sea - lovely location with shops and bars you can walk to. The complex was always clean - the maids work really hard and clean the rooms 5 days a week. The swimming pool was nice - there are 4 in total including a splash area for the little ones. The main pool is where the action is tho and if you want a little peace you can go to the smaller pools or adult terrace.

The reps however made our holiday......they were great. All of them worked so hard - always something to do. to be honest our family got very competitive and were determining to get the certificates so we joined in lots - boules, aeroball, water polo, table tennis. You mention it they did it. These were by far the best reps I have had on a first choice holiday. Thank you guys......you know who you all are. The night time entertainment was nice.....mostly done again by the reps who worked extememly hard keeping the kids entertained. if you didnt fancy it as it got loud you could sit outside or go to the sports bar. There was regular entertainment for kids earlier on...prize bingo - which we won on our last night - 341 euros and were estatic.... and a little later entertainment which was focused for the adults too.

My youngest loved the kids club.....some say that its not good and parents want to get rid of their kids on holiday but it not the case. My daughter looved it so much and made lots of friends and kept her out the sun for a few hours in the day. Thank you guys Ellie loved it!!!

Dave the rep in the reception was fantastic. I had a problem with a prescription on day one as some meds when missing in transit and he booked me a consultation with an outside doc and then drove to the pharmacy himself to fetch it for me - now thats what i call service. Thank you dave.

if you fancy the trips get a taxi yourself as some are expensive but go to the national park and ride a camel its a lovely 2 hour trip if you go yourself in a taxi and for 6 of us only cost 140 euros and the taxi waits for you whilst u do the tour and the ride. However this excursion can get expensive.

As for the people we made some great friends and we are sure we will keep in touch. It was very sad when we had to leave some friends at the hotel and others at the airport - everyone was so friendly.

On the whole this hotel was great. we were so worried about the negative reviews....please dont be. As long as you have kids or are a big kid yourself (we had 42, 37 , 20, 15, 13, 8 and all loved it) you will think this place is great. Lovely food, clean hotel, lovely staff - oh and def try the italian restaurant Nicholas the waiter is lovely and friendly and we loved the food - and the portabello beach club for breakfast - waffles with wild fruits and cream is to die for.

I would love to go back when the beach is finished - you never know we may all meet up again in a few years at the fLAMINGO BEACH.

Just enjoy it - go with an open mind and have fun and you will love it.

We sure did :) thanks to all the team and friends for making our holiday special x

1 Thank NottinghamHotspot
Hi, thanks for posting such fantastic reviews. As you said, come with an open mind and enjoy our Holiday Village. The staff work really hard to make holidays the best ever here and we will pass your comments onto Dave. With regards to the bus, we can confirm it is a mini- bus running several times a day. We really do hope you come back and see us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Los Zocos Club Resort
Los Zocos Club Resort
#11 of 38 in Costa Teguise
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!