“Superb value for money......beach was NOT a problem”

TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
London, United Kingdom
“Superb value for money......beach was NOT a problem”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I returned from a week in the Holiday Village Playa Flamingo with my wife and 3 year old daughter and had a fantatsic time.

The hotel is clean, well located and has everything to ensure you holiday is a success. The staff are friendly and helpful and the entertainment staff are the best I have experienced. Professional shows (not too pushy), daytime activities for children and approachable.

There was no major building work in the hotel, the beach however is far from complete....however the hotel provided a bus to an even better beach (which was on 5 minutes by bus/25 minutes by a pleasant stroll along the promanade).

Food at the hotel was good with plenty of choice, especially for breakfast and lunch. The food is not 4 star, however we had no complaints.

The only explaination for the poor reviews is, that there must have been due to the transition to the Holiday Village.....rest assured all teething problems have been ressolved.

I would strongly recommend this hotel and will indeed return at a later date.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
17 Thank RPster
AngelRivero, Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Dear customers,
Thank you for your review. Since May the 1st the Holiday village is running smoothly and many customers like you are enjoying the Flamingo beach and are completelly happy. I absolutelly agree with you that it is really superb value for money. Even if the beach is closed we have excellent pools and facilities and a shuttle service that takes the customers to the next door beach Playa Dorada (5 minutes away). To be honest most of customers stay in the hotel enjoying our facilities: splash pool, activities pool, main pool, quiet pool, children pools, indoor pool, Spa, all the Food and beverage facilities, etc, etc. I wouldn´t leave the hotel neither!!
Hope to see you again soon,
Angel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
devon uk
Reviewed May 8, 2010

have been going to this part of lanzarote for the last 7 years and really love it here , fantastic weather great scenery BUT the little beach here is closed so you need to rent a car or get the bus to the beaches up the coast which are nice but you need to drive or taxi it to get there. Noone tells you that the beach is closed!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank devon67
manchester
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I recently stayed at the Flamingo and i think the hotel was absolutely fine. Ok so the beach is closed but neither First Choice nor the hotel can do anything about that - that is down to the government. However they were offering a free shuttle to a nearby beach. I myself am not a beach lover and preferred to stay by the pool anyway, so it was not a problem for me.

As for the food, i read many reviews saying the food was terrible and i honestly thought there were no problems. The great thing about buffets is that you can always find something to eat and i am a bit of a fussy eater, but i found plenty!

The rooms were basic but they were clean and we had everything we needed, so we cannot complain there. I have to say i think people are just too quick to moan about this place. Its not 5* but it will be a great family complex once its the Holiday Village!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank pinkglitterstar
CUMBRIA
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort from 30th March to 6th April 2010.
We booked what we thought was a 4 star complex with an indoor pool (very important to us as we have a 1 year old) and a playground as well as lots of other facilities and had also read very good reviews. However, after booking I read that the complex was closed and undergoing major refurbishments. I rang First choice who assured me that there was no building work. I also emailed the hotel manager who told me that all the building work would be finished when we arrived. Sadly they were both misleading us. We were the 2nd family to arrive at the hotel following its re-opening that morning. There were builders EVERYWHERE! The room we were eventually given (after waiting over an hour!) was awful. It was dirty and smelly and the bedding and towels were threadbare. All afternoon builders were banging directly underneath our apartment (actually BUILDING the indoor pool and spa - never mind it wasnt open, it wasnt built!!!! ) We were also woken at 7.30 the next morning by cement mixers directly outside our window! We asked to move rooms but there were no others finished!!!!! In the whole of the complex!!! We were told that they would have one ready for us the next day and so after lunch the next day we did move to one of the bungalows. This room was much better. It was clean and generally felt much better. We moved in as the electricians were putting up the light fittings and plumber was fixing the taps! (However we didnt have any hot water until day 3 - we had to boil kettles for the childrens baths!)

The complex is very big and there are quite a lot of pools. None were heated when we were there - the generator wasnt working! It is also quite hilly which the brochure doesnt mention. There are a lot of steps around the resort and most of the rooms have a lot of steps leading up to them (our 1st had 14! Impossible with a pushchair. The 2nd had 7!!!)
The food was very hit and miss while we were there,again I think that had a lot to do with the hotel just opening. However, the dinning room isnt great. It was very busy and very noisy and we both agreed that we wouldnt want to be there in high season! Drinks dispensers were always broke and tables wernt cleared quickly which resulted in them running out of plates,glasses etc. They did however bring in more staff as we were leaving which might have helped? There was also only 1 barman most nights in "the moon bar" which resulted in really long ques at the bar. The ladies toilets in that bar had no working light for the whole week we were there,dispite the fact we told staff about it many times. How are young children meant to got to the toilet when the light switches off within seconds of being in there. There was also no hand dryer or towels in the toilets. I know these dont sound like big things but when you come across things like this day after day it does get annoying!

The weather was lovely while we were there (the one saving grace!!) although it was cloudy in the morning most days and sunny in the afternoon - the breeze can be quite cool.

I was surprised by the location of this hotel too. From what I read I thought it was more central to Playa Blanca but it was actually quite a walk (especially with young children in tow) Maybe if the beach directly outside the hotel had been open (I dont think you can hold the hotel responsible for the closure of the beach but maybe First Choice could have put something on the website to let people know that the beach is closed) it might not have seemed so bad but if you wanted to get to a beach you could either get on the hotel run bus (which some days didnt actually turn up!) or you could walk along the promenade.

All-in-all I think a lot of the problems we encountered were due to the fact that the complex just wasnt finished. Why first choice didnt move us before we left I have no idea!!! It was just so inapropriate to send people there to stay. The rep Dave was totally brilliant though - I just wish that FC UK was as good as FC in resort!! Also we had read that the manager of this hotel is brilliant but I have to say we didnt find this to be true. He was busy sorting problems out (there were lots!) but I feel that maybe he could have taken the time to apologise to his guests and kept them informed of what was happening in the hotel.

I think that when the complex actually does get finished it might not be so bad although it isnt somewhere we would want to stay. I can imagin that when it becomes a holiday village it will be totally packed!! There are a lot of apartments and I dont think there are the facilities to match the number of people.

I wouldnt recommend this complex, even finished I dont think it is 4 star. I'm sure there are much better hotels on Lanzarote!

1 Thank abbiebabby
London
Reviewed May 2, 2010

If you like a hotel with none of the advertised facilities available then this is the place for you. We stayed in the hotel from 1st to 15th April with three young children and had a very disappointing experience, along with the majority of other guests who stayed during this period. This is the only hotel we have ever been to where they have needed to ship in three Thomson/First Choice reps who seemed to work around the clock to deal with the sheer volume of complaints.
In summary:
The room we were allocated the evening we arrived was not in a fit state to take guests. There were no curtains, matresses or bedding and pictures and mirrors were lying on the floor, with no explantion from any of the staff. There was no room for a cot in the bedroom for our 6 month old baby.
The hotel was suposed to have a kids club, playground, soft play area, spa, indoor pool, grill restaurant, laundry facilities, on-site supermarket, football, boules and grill restaurant. None of these facilities were available during our stay, despite being clearly advertised on the internet at the time of booking. The childrens splash pool was only completed half way through our holiday and the pools were only heated to an acceptable temperature after a week of being there. Rooms were not cleaned regularly, and with two babies in nappies, we had to empty our own bins. Towels and bedding were threadbare, and beds were left for us to make. Construction work was ongoing thoughout our stay and there were many things around that were a danger to young children. The beach, (which is also a big selling point on the First Choice webisite) was also closed. There was a smell of effluence around particularly during the first week. We also had no electricity for 12 hours on our last night.
The plus points were nice icecream and the weather was good!
Thankfully when we were stranded as a result of the volcano we were moved to the wonderful Rui Parasio, which was so much better in every possible way, despite supposedly getting the same rating on the First Choice website.
The hotel I am sure will improve with time, but was in no fit state to have opened in April, and we hope that First Choice/Thomson will acknowledge this, and refund the guests who had the misfortune to visit during this period.

2 Thank frizzz
scotland
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel and was very pleased there was always something for the kids to do which made the holiday a holiday. In fact we loved it so much we are going back in october well if we can get booked nowhere seems to be taking bookings for it which i cant understand why?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank mrsn20tty
West Midlands
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our first family holiday with our twins who were 16 months old. We got a sea view room which was great. Very spacious. All rooms have their own private terrace and sun loungers , so you dont have to fight by the pool for them All rooms face the sun all day. There are 2 supermarkets on site which sell cows milk for young children. baby powedered milk is hard to find so take plenty! It has several pools, the children's pool has built in toys/slides etc...but be warned the water was freezing.
The beach currently is all of a 1 min walk opposite the hotel, BUT it's been closed for a few weeks due to the Spainish authorities doing some coastal defence work so the nearest beach is now at least 25min walk away which is a pain if you are all inclusive.
The food is nice. Clean and constantly re-stocked. It is basic but what I believe you wuld expect in a family hotel basic, healthy and a choice. The chefs speak good english and evening meals usually have a craving joint or something.
The restaurant staff are lovely but the hotel reception are so so unhelpful and rude at times. We went through our rep a few times to sort things out as they were never in the mood to see things from your point of view.
Many facilities in the hotel were not ready, no spa, no heated pool, one of the weekly choice all inc. restaurants was not open and its all because on the 1st May 2010 it turns into a holiday village. So thats all we heard it will be ready for then.

I have to say I loved this hotel, with little children we could stay in our room and open the double patio doors and let them walk around knowing they cant get out of our patio area. The food was good enough, if it wasn't for the facilities been half closed I would have rated this top marks througout. I usually stay in flash 5 star hotel but know with children I have to be realistic and I do believe the Flamingo will be lovely once the change to the 'Holoiday Village has taken place. Just remember, breakfast starts at 8am and thats late for little ones who are up from 6am.
I do hope to return to this hotel as it was clean and met our needs.
I hope you find this review helpfull.

8 Thank Twinet
Los Zocos Club Resort
Los Zocos Club Resort
#8 of 38 in Costa Teguise
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!