“Nice stay and very good location”

and 1 more site!
TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 bungalows right next to each other, 2 adults, a 7 year old, and the retired mother-in-law.
By bungalow, they mean apartments with fairly large veranda, in 2 storey buldings.
The entrances are through the veranda, leading to a combined livingroom / kitchen, with sofa-bed.
Next is the bedroom with doublebed, closet and door to the back patio, and in between is the bathroom with shower/tub/etc. All were in very nice shape, and the daily cleaning service was nice, perhaps a bit early if we slept in.
The buildings are spread out between the main building and the beach walk, with swimmingpools and playgrounds in different places.
So it is really convenient to get around, most things you want are just behind the next building or so.
It is also one of the few hotels in direct connection with a nice beach.
The beach is quite big and is closed in from waves by a wall construct.
The beach walk has a few ministores, some restaurants and a bar or two.
Everyone enjoyed it!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank belami42
Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked an all inclusive package,
The location was great, short walk to lovely clean beach and several pools and bars nearby.
The public areas were well looked after and clean, and the staff were very friendly and helpful and worked really hard.
The food was average, there was a good choice most days but often found that it was cold.
The rooms need a face lift, although spacious they were shabby and the beds were very uncomfortable. The rooms were not cleaned as well as I would expect in a hotel of this rating.
I also became ill half way through the holiday with very bad cramps and nausea although the rest of my family were ok.
The family entertainment was very good and enjoyed by my children.
With a few improvements, I would not hesitate booking again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Usually go to Egypt where the hotels are luxurios. Disappointed when we entered reception area. No wow factor at all but overall the hotel was clean. Our rooms were kept immaculate by the ckeaner. We were given anything we asked for such as mattress topper because the beds were firm to say the least. The food we found very good and plenty of choice. Really enjoyed ourselves and the barman in atlantic bar was lovely. Did everything he could to give us a good time in the evenings. Weather wasnt the best but hotel cant help that. On the whole a nice hotel but we're back to egypt hext year for definite.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

We are both in our 60's.
The good:- Fantastic location, nice complex within easy reach of local facilities. The apartments, whilst could do with updating were clean and comfortable. I understand they are going through a refurbishment project this year? The waiting staff were very pleasant.
The private hospital staff service at Centro Medico Jorgani in Costa Tequise was excellent.

The bad and the ugly:-
My wife was extremely ill with gastric enteritis contracted, without doubt, at the Flamingo Beach Resort AI between 30/01 and 06/02/14. We had only consumed food and during in the complex the whole time were were there.
After a consultation with the Flamingo Beach complex doctor, she was admitted on his recommendation to private Centro Medico Jorgani hospital in Costa Tequise on the morning of 5th February, with severe dehydration, acute stomach pain, diarohea and vomiting, gastric enteritis was diagnosed by the hospital doctor and she was kept in overnight on a drip/antibiotics feed and fortunately given a certificate to fly on our return day of the 6th. The hospital were almost sure it was contracted at the Flamingo Beach Resort complex.
We believe she contracted it from the Tavern by the Sea as we knew of 4 other people who were similarly affected on the same night we visited and had all eaten the prawns and other seafood on the tapas selection. In fact during our visit one lady collapsed in the Tavern by the Sea, was brought round by the waiter and ran outside to vomit. The doctor was called and she was dispatched on a stretcher into a waiting ambulance. The manager appeared shortly after and seemed concerned about the situation.
On our return a lady on the airport bus in Birmingham said she had been very ill for a couple of days with the same symptoms as my wife.
When one restaurant closed it appeared the uneaten food was transported through the complex on trolley's covered by a red and white checked towel to the back entrance of the Green and Grill and more than likely served up for another 3 hrs,then moved again to an unknown destination. The roast beef/roast Pork/roast Chicken/fish appeared day after day in four different increasingly tangy sauces. This is dangerous recycling of food on a grand scale. We were advised by the Thomson reps to refill the water bottles to save on plastic waste but watched aghast as people swigged out of bottles and refilled them from the dispensers. All in all, its no wonder people are being extremely ill with these practices and their lack apparent lack of interest on guests who fall ill through this manner.
The hospital told me I had to report it to the hotel as they would have to inform the authorities ... the hotel reception staff at Flamingo Beach Resort just weren't interested, 'hope she is better soon', blah, blah. The UK Thomson rep doesn't work on a Wednesday and so on and so on.
Thomson have contracted us and it seems they are not prepared to accept responsibility ... in their words, it was a bug going round the island, 'nothing we can do about that' ... and we will be making some recommendations to the complex ... absolute nonsense if you ask me. I shall be taking this matter further.
Maybe a case for Holiday Watchdog??

Room Tip: Ask for one by the quiet pool, but in all honesty I'd stay away from this place!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sedith
JJonayAfonso, General Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear customer.
I am to apologize for the situation and hope that you and your family are in good health

I give to inform you that the hotel provides a medical service that the law requires us to do so , but the customer to seek a medical center that we do not want to influence the medical decisión.

Our food and meals comply with current legislation and inspections received different external companies contracted by our hotel and our touroperators are always concerned about the health of our customers.
The food in our reports everything is right and proper , without any problem. I send my personal email and if I want you to send reports I will be happy to send.

On the island of Lanzarote have been a small outbreak of intestinal virus not only in our hotel also some hotels in the area have the same problem , unfortunately.
I am sorry you had to live with this, but I promise you not the fault of Flamingo and the hygiene of food controls our food is about 95% to 100%, and are very strict with the quality of our meals.

I hope a speedy recovery of your health.

Regards
Jonay Afonso

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have just returned from a week at Flamingo Beach Resort and have terrible sickness.
I'm never ill and the cramps and nausea are terrible.
I've just seen another case on trip advisor and I'm worried about the cleanliness at this hotel and worry for all the children there now.

Please can you look into this urgently

I will complete my review soon as we had a great time, but now it feels like we've been to Egypt !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Teenspiritzz
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked through a travel agent a one week all inclusive package. We had booked a superior room. The view was nice and the maid obviously did her best to keep the room clean. However, the room was clearly overdue for a renovation (cracked tiles, broken plaster, scuffed furniture).

AI was ok and we could always find something to eat at El Chef. One dinner at Tavern by the Sea was included in the package and it turned out to be a nice experience. Both food and service were good. Like some other reviewers have pointed out, I would not bother dining at the Green&Grill. The steaks are mediocre and the other food selection is limited. It is ok for snacks in the afternoon.

Our kids enjoyed their stay, although most days it was too cold to swim. Not even the heated pools were warm enough. The kids program in the evening varied, the clowns were surprisingly funny (kept adults and our 11&5 year olds smiling), but the Bamse show was clearly for really small kids and our kids wanted to leave midway through.

The location of the hotel is nice, with easy access to the beach and a nice walk to the center of Playa Blanca.

I'd be happy to come back as soon as they renovate the rooms and improve the heating of the pools.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank M R
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my Husband from Jan 26th to Feb 2nd 2014.
On the last day of our holiday my Husband and myself became very ill with sickness + Diarrhoea which continued upon our return home.
Before we submit our full review of this Hotel we were wondering if any one else suffered the same symptoms as us from Feb
2nd 2014.
This Hotel is advertised as a First Choice 4 Star for Families + Couples, unfortunately it's more like a 2 star and is NOT for couples.
The entertainment is very poor and so are the Bars. The Blue Moon bar have entertainment on for Children only and closes at 11pm and the Atlantic Bar is like a school Dinning room, very boring, plays the same CD over and over again which is very dated. Plastic chairs + tables.
The bar and music stops at 11.45pm, the lights are turned off whilst you are still in there and then you were told to leave ASAP and to take your drinks out in a plastic cup.
The only other bar that is open during the day has no cover so when the weather is bad ( which it was 90% of our stay) makes it impossible to sit and relax.
There is nothing to do during the day( unless you have Children )
The room 45 was quiet and we had a nice sea view, The maids let themselves into your room at 8.30am and we asked them to come back if possible as we thought this was quite early but they never came back so we cleaned our own room, changed the bed and got towels off their trolleys,
We thought the food was ok but was not 4 star catering as advertised.
We booked for the x2 different restaurants you can go. The Tavern By The Sea which was Tapas and was quite nice and The Steak Night, which to our diss appointment was in The Green + Grill restaurant. The steak was cold + very well done and so was everything else so we walked out and headed to the Irish Anvil Pub which is about a 20min walk away but was worth it as the food was lovely and they had a live band on.
On our last day we ate a late lunch around 3.20pm in The Green + Grill we both ate the Chillie con carnie with white rice as we were getting our transfer to the Airport at 4.45pm.
By 5.15pm my Husband began complaining of stomach cramps which were getting worst as the night went on, as we took off on our flight home he was sick several times and we had to call for a member of the cabin crew to assist him with plastic bags and water, he then started with diarrhoea and hot + cold sweats. After a couple of hours into the flight I also began to feel unwell too with stomach cramps, sickness + diarrhoea, on our return home we were both really ill for the following three days ( hence while I asked if any one else was ill )
To summarise this, good for families, terrible for couples, and be careful what you eat.
Would we return ? NO.
Worst Anniversary Holiday we've ever had.

• Stayed: February 2014