“Excellent again!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Swasea, Wales
“Excellent again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was the second time that my wife and I have been to this hotel and we took her Mother and Father with us this time!
We emailed the manager of the hotel a few weeks before we arrived to ask for a quiet area and a low floor for my in-laws and when we arrived this is exactly what we got.
Service is excellent everywhere here and the food is some of the best we have ever had, they even have real British sausage for breakfast. They even cook steaks and fish to how you like it!
The positioning of the hotel is top notch as well, as you have lovely walks either way you walk along the promenade at the front of the hotel. You can walk to the shops if you go to the left but a walk to the lighthouse to the right.
My wife suffered with a heavy cold when we were there and a maid was cleaning the room noticed that she was coughing and sneezing. She put her hand on her forehead and told her that she was hot and brought her a toilet roll for her sneezing. She asked about my wife for the rest of the week we were there so thank you to her for that!
You may have read that entertainment staff are Scandinavian but do not worry as they all speak perfect English and will always talk to you!
We will definitely be returning here again and my mother and father in law have said that they would return here again as well!
Thanks for a great week!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JJonayAfonso, General Manager at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your email. Thank you very much for your nice and friendly review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you soon.
Regards
Jonay Afonso
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this resort on an all inclusive basis during the week 16/01/14-23/01/14. We booked a superior room numbered 68B, which had fantastic views over the sea, and on a clear day you could also see Fuerteventura.
The maid service was absolutely great, the rooms was always kept spotless. Best thing about the resort by far was the food. All the restaurants and snack bars included on the all inclusive had SO much choice and the food was all fresh and delicious. The Green and Grill snack bar was open from 11-17:00 everyday and you could go in as many times as you wanted and have cooked food, fresh fruit, desserts, everything! And the two waiters in there were so lovely (can't remember their names). You also get an A La Carte visit during the week to the Tavern by the Sea which was delicious, tapas and a fantastic steak right on the seafront.
The beach is right on the doorstep of the hotel and is the only sandy beach for ages along the coastline, so if a sandy beach is essential to your holiday then you have to pick this hotel.
As a Brit travelling in the winter season, you unfortunately will be the minority at this resort, as the winter season seems to be highly tailored to Scandinavian guests. The entertainment team and a lot of the activities are primarily aimed at a Scandinavian audience, so sometimes is was quite tricky to pick up what the shows were about if you don't speak those languages! There was also no real entertainment or any lively bars past the time of 10:30, so that is one thing that is missing.
You could always get a sunbed at the pool no problem. However, one suggestion I would make is that there should be some form of music around the main pool, as it was slightly lacking atmosphere.
Overall, for the price we paid it was a nice getaway for the week. Unfortunately the weather was a bit temperamental so we only got about 3 days of sun, so just be warned if you're expecting heatwaves and blue skies as this is not always the case! I would recommend this hotel as it was a bargain for what we paid, but would I go back? Probably not, as it seems there is only so much you can do there, and once you've been further a-sea such as the Caribbean, this sort of place can't really compete. But a great place for just a weeks getaway :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nicola W
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a two week stay with my wife, two year old, and three month old (last two weeks in January)

The Good

Food was good, and a choice of dining locations especially the Green and Grill Great chicken ribs and I've had worse steaks

Lager quite weak but drinkable and never had to queue for a drink

The staff were great in the bars and restaurants (although taking my son's toys away for a joke and him getting upset got a bit tiresome)

The resort is right by a lovely beach and costal walkway and only 10 min walk to a town with shops, eateries and bars

Most of the rooms had a lovely sea view (some had trees or buildings in front)

I'd say the rooms are 3 star The place was kept clean and tidy outside It's no palace but choice of outdoor areas and pool

Gym was good for a hotel and has a heated indoor pool but doesn't open until 10 ish (always a few minutes after) which is a shame as if I'm up and the kids aren't I like to work out before breakfast

The Bad

We found the rooms noisey, you could hear people coughing, closing cupboards, children crying in rooms each side and below Got woken most mornings way earlier than I wanted to Also when it did rain the bathroom floor got wet in one corner The 15 euro a week charge for a safe is cheeky in my opinion

The first week was slightly spoilt by the fact the majority of guests were Nordics. In short we found them rude arrogant and very serious Don't expect even a sideways glance if you stand aside to let someone through, or hold a door open for them Do expect dirty looks if your two year old is having fun in the baby pool and they are sunbathing around it (If you don't have kids may be the sun beds around the baby pool wasnt the best place for you and your cigars anyway) Second week the balance of Brits was better and much more nodding and smiling between guests

There wasn't a lot of entertainment for under threes who can't go to kids club There was a 45min stay and play three mornings a week, the odd large bunny walking around and the kids entertainment (mainly Nordic songs but the two clowns on each evening are fantastically enthusiastic and very good) That's on most evenings (5 a week) again only for 45 min and again spoilt by some who came late and just stood in front of those who had gone early enough to get a table - its a sit down show !

We found the main dining area a bit stuffy and manic at times Sort of reminiscent of a motorway service station eatery and again I'm afraid the Nordics were rude elbowing there way in front, using a serving spoon from another dish rather than wait a few seconds and stomping about scowling Also half an hour before closing the staff start packing up around you The conservatory floods when it rains

The Ugly

The reception misplaced our passports when we went to retrieve them and basically said I must have already collected them When I politely but firmly explained that I hadn't she said again 'Are you certain because it would be in this empty slot here' Then some irrelevant quibling about whether the room should be described as '14A' as I had done, or 'A14' (it says 'A14' on the the plaque) Eventually it was found in the wrong slot No apology

We walked around a corner one morning and two maids were acting a bit suspiciously They were trying to work a pink camera and quickly hid it under the linen when they saw us approaching until we passed by. I reported it to the Thompson rep (small Irish girl who was great throughout our stay) and she reported it to the hotel Might be innocent but I don't think cleaners take cameras to work and if they do why stuff it under a sheet when someone walks by ?

When an 8 year nordic boy crashed into our three month old's pram which was tucked away in a corner with him asleep in it I asked him to please be careful He went back to his group and I then had a bunch of Nordics adults glaring over all evening

Obviously not the resort's fault Just underlines why I would go back to the Flamingo despite the noisey rooms but definately not when it is Nordic holiday time. I did speak to one or two who were ok and I hate to generalise but it really was like the official Arragance Olympics hotel and many brits agreed with that observation

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank JK38JK38
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just back from a fantastic Xmas week at no. 12 Flamingo Beach. Was a bit concerned booking a villa that was part of a holiday complex but found the villa was very private whilst being directly next to the beach. The facilities of the resort were available to private rentals. The pools, restaurants and bar looked good but only used the tennis court. Ideal spot for a BBQ on our private terrace watching the sunset or an early morning swim on the empty beach. Villa, spacious, comfortable and well equipped.
Flamingo beach is a safe beach and the villa only a 10 min stroll along the promenade to the centre of Playa Blanca

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hc1Argyll
Beenleigh, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed at this hotel, fully inclusive, from 16th to 23rd January. Staff were brilliant, so friendly and nothing was too much trouble, and so clean. Unfortunately for my waist line the food was fantastic, wkillpower went out of the window. This area of Lanzarote is very quiet so great relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We needed good central access as one of party had mobility scooter, they gave us room in perfect spo...
3 Thank Karen A
Dublin, Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here last june/july for two weeks with two small kids . The resort is great staff very helpful and friendly . Would recommend staying in a superior beachfront apartment the view is just amazing and you have a little garden with a gate that closes which is great if you have small kids! Found the evening entertainment a bit repetitive could not fault the food great variety for all the cocktails however were terrible! The beach is one of the nicest I've been on we loved it

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Nicola B
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Just returned from a week at Flamingo Beach. We were very happy with the holiday village, everything was great!

Buffet was far better than I had expected, a huge range of food, all freshly cooked. Plenty for vegetarians and always a section for gluten free and lower fat options. The salad bar are was lovely, traditional paellas daily and meat and fish cooked for you while you wait. Plain pasta and chips always available for fussy little ones. Even breakfast as an amazing feast! Snacks available all day, plenty of ice cream and lollipops! As a family of one veggie and one very fussy child we found no problems at all.

Apartment
We had a 1 bedroomed apartment, it was very clean and very well equipped with toaster, coffee maker, microwave, fridge and freezer, hob and kettle. There was a nice size patio with table and chairs and a very handy drying rack. The bathroom had a bath and shower, great for little ones. The sofa bed was a bit shabby and rickety though, but I see that all apartments are being refurbished shortly so I guess the old sofa beds will be replaced. Large TV with some free English channels was a bonus.

Pools
The pools were well maintained and very clean. Not all of them heated though so some a bit chilly, and the sports pool was freezing!! There is an indoor pool too which can be used by families in the morning, so great for those cooler mornings. It can get a bit busy by the main pool but there is plenty of space just away from the pool or at the quiet pool.

Activities
The evening entertainment was great fun for children, although slightly late for my 3 year old. I took part in a fabulous programme of fitness classes, all included with First Choice. The kids club was absolutely brilliant, the staff were wonderful and my son had a whale of a time! We booked First Choice's volcano trip which was well worth doing, we all really enjoyed it.

Location
Short stroll to the harbour and centre of Playa Blanca, you can also hire a pushchair from reception for little legs. It was 3 euros a day, plus a bus stop right outside too. Not too far from the airport too, about 45 mins.

Staff
The First Choice rep Donna was brilliant and looked after us really well, always on hand to answer questions or help. or just say a friendly hello. All the staff were great, really helpful and friendly and always had time to chat with the little one. Nothing is too much trouble, and you really do get service with a smile. There were always plenty of people around cleaning and maintaining, which was good. The chamber maid staff did a great job.

Overall a really great holiday, my only complaint was the weather! I would definitely recommend this holiday village.

Room Tip: We stayed in 21b very close to the quiet pool and very handy for the pool bar
    • 3 of 5 bubbles