“Don't be put off... It's very nice”

TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Don't be put off... It's very nice”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have never written a review on here before but reading some of the others I just felt I had to. This hotel/resort is really nice. It's the cheapest holiday we've been on by far, but just wanted to get away from the British weather, our main holiday is in the summer. All our other holidays have been Thomson Platinum or Sensatori and I'm quite fussy. I origianally ignored this hotel as its offical 2* and thomson 4. Well, no foriegn hotel is as good as our British star rating and can't believe other reviewers still expect it. I would rate the Sensatori we stayed In last year a 4* they give it a 5+!!

We went to mealtimes at various times of the day, we never had to wait for a table, the food was always hot, the show cooking was really good, a chocolate fountain every evening for the kids, fresh baked bread and tasty deserts. The restaurant was a bit manic at peak times, no worse than any other. It wasn't as large as some I've been to which meant the walk back from the buffet was not a trek. It was my husbands birthday when we were there, the hotel put a card and a bottle of wine in the room - nice touch. The staff are really friendly special mention to Eva on the pool bar who was lovely.
The room was a mini apartment and I believe they're all the same, it was comfortable, no frills, the fridge was handy. The sofabed in the lounge pulled out underneath and then you pull it upwards to make a double (the reviewers below obv didn't realise this) it wasn't ever so comfortable when I laid on it once but the kids never complained, it's supposed to be for their weight, not adults. The complex is right on the beach with a security gate in between. We were up that end away from the main pool nearer the smaller pool. The only let down in my opinion is the evening entertainment, it's run by a Swedish team not the normal standard, but that said, we enjoyed the fact we didn't have to wolf our meal down to get to the kids disco by 8, which is the normal pattern of our holidays.
The thomson kids club was great, our kids (6&3) have never been to one before, they loved it, I felt they were safe, the team were brilliant.

All in all, I've got great memories of this holiday, the weather was amazing, the food was great, we really chilled out, if that's what you're looking for - book it

Room Tip: We were 12b if you want to be away from the main pool nearer the small one and the beach it's gr...
4 Thank Nuts4holidays
AngelRivero, Director General at TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear customer,
Thank you very much for your review. I am very glad that you enjoyed your holidays.
Hope to see you son,
Angel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
southend
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Arrived late and checked in. Had to pay to hire safe and air conditioning. Travelling with husband and 2 children aged 12 and 10. Was dissapointed with room as it had twin beds for us and the boys had sofa bed in lounge. The pull out was floor level and the mattress was very uncomfortable. Went back to reception to ask why we had not been given a double bed and was just told they did not have many and all were booked. As we were 43A and overlooking pool we decided to stay in this room.

The buffet food was good but if you did not get there 9am all plates, cutlery and bowls were gone and they did not replenish bread. Also if you went to dinner after 7pm a lot of the food had gone. The coffee machines made horrible coffee and the wine and beer not good. I have read some of the other reviews and none of us suffered sickness but I had 3 days of chronic sore throat and have come home with a stinking cold. we did see to our horror, a dad changing a babies nappie with exploding diahorrea on a nearby sunbed outside the buffet restuarant and we hoped he did not go back in to touch the food!

Very disappointed with evening entertainment, grotty bar with plastic chairs. There are no nice chill out bars for the adults so if you did not want to sit in the Blue Moon at 9 then there was no where left to go apart from back to your room.

We did enjoy sitting by the pool and location great as nice walks to Playa Blanca town. Dont bother getting a taxi to Puerto del Carmen as this costs 35 euros one way and theres just bars and souverneir shops.

Cannot fault the restuarant staff as they work very hard clearing the tables as it was sometimes a scrum. however the staff in mini market give you a receipt for the towel hire 10 euros and say come back for the refund when leaving but my husband tried this and she said nothing to do with her. Managed to get money back at reception.

Complex is good for younger families as not much for age 10 upwards

2 Thank grahamandmel
Dear customer,
Thank you very much for your review.
It is important that everyone has got a personal opinión but never biased by what a minority can say. The level of our food is very high and the majority of customers score it very high. From time to time somebody can feel ill. This does not mean necesarilly being food poisoned although it is easier to blame on the hotel. In AI hotels the excess of food and drinks can lead to situations like that. We always recommend to eat and drink as usually at home, no more no less.
As for the minimarket you must understand the staff. They cannot give the deposit back without the receipt or without any kind of register on the list. The deposit is to make sure that the ítems are given back.
Anyway I will love to see you back in here. The Holiday village season starts on May the second and we will do a fantastic performance to have very happy customers.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We went for a special birthday treat. On arrival first impressions were good although we had a job finding our room as instructions werent good and nobody around to ask for help. Our room was spacious and clean with comfy bed with sheets and one blanket. On our second day the top sheets were taken from our bed which i found having jst the blanket quite irritating. Wen i asked at reception teice for sheets they refused and said they didnt use top sheets. Which we had on originally. I found this hotel didnt cater very well for the english as most guests were frm norway or scandanavia which reflected in the entertainment. The views were fantastic from the hotel as was playa blanca. On my husbands birthday the maid gave us a bottle of wine which was a lovely touch. I would gi bak to playa blanca but wud choose a better hotel

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank lesley w
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went for a one-week vacation, and was very disappointed with the room standard. If they had been completely honest and called it a three-star hotel, I would knew what to expect. I even may been a bit surprised by the rest of the facilities: nice pools, very friendly and helpful staff and ok food (except for the hotel's tex-mex restaurant, which was absolute crap. Don't hope for a classy night out dining...).
We had ordered all-inclusive and did not go hungry for one minute during our stay.

The beach is a short walk a couple of hundred meters or so, and the beach promenade is nice for a stroll both during daytime and also nice and peaceful late at night.
I recommend a walk into Playa Blanca, which takes about 30 minutes by foot.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get one of the newer built bungalows, 'cause I know the good ones exist at this p...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just came back from a 1 week family holiday (Mum, Dad, 1 child) and had an overall excellent experience. I would highly recommend it. The location couldn't be beat (nice pools, gentle, sheltered beach short walk from room) Service was very friendly, rooms were nice and clean (we got upgraded since the hotel was so full when we checked in...nice!) Food was very good, fresh, plentiful and varied. Desserts amazing! And best of all we didn't have to worry about anything or go anywhere (big plus for Hubby who hates having to drive in holiday) . The Kids Club and evening parites for kids were great too - Ben and the team really made the kids feel welcome and they even made a special effort to deliver a hand-made card, balloons and sweets to my daughter on her 6th b-day! She made lots of new friends and all the clientle (British and Scandinavian) seemed nice, normal people and everyone seemed happy and well-behaved. With the Kids clubs it made it possible to have "me-time" or time as a couple AND a fun family holiday all in one. One excusion we did do was the Submarine Safari - my daughter Loved it ! It was very well run and worth the money as it was a real submarine (really a once in a lifetime thing) and they take you door-to-door from hotel back in time for lunch.
A few negatives: 1. Although the policy is "no reserving sunbeds" the management didn't seem to want to enforce it so by 9am 1/2 the sunbeds were "reserved" which I think is pretty selfish, although we always were able to find few free when we wanted them. 2. five days in to the holiday my Husband came down with some kind of 24hr Stomach bug (vomiting and diahorrea) mild temp and physically wiped out. My daughter now has it although we are home now she must've picked it up there or from him. Other than that it was a smashing holiday, just what we wanted & needed and better then expected. Will def think about booking with Thompson/ First Choice again.

2 Thank LisaC739
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

# This was our first trip to Lanzarote after having been in Tenerife, Fuerteventura and Gran Canaria in 2011 and 2012, respectively. It was a great holiday. We will remember the many cool places we saw in Lanzarote rather than the hotel.

# Flamingo Beach Resort a crowded hotel with ok rooms and poor service that lacks athmospere. However, it is in a very nice location at Flamingo Beach in Playa Blanca. It is convenient for families with small children of which there were many.

# We booked the hotel as it offered a kid's club for which we even paid for. Our English-speaking son only was there once. As the hotel is was full of Scandinavian children and the kid's club staff are Scandinavian speaking mainly Swedish, the activities for English speaking kids are poor, i.e. they had to find themselves and entertain themselves.

# The hotel is in a very nice location, right by the beach along a nice promenade great for walking and jogging. Supermarkets, the port and sports bars to watch soccer matches are all within walking distance.

# The bungalow was in the second row from the beach, is was basic. We slept well and were hardly disturbed by the noise of the neighbors' kids.

# The hotel is crowded, guests are mainly Scandinavians and Brits with small children.

# You have to pay for the safe and pay a deposit for the AC control and beach towels. If you want WIFI in the room, it costs 18 EUR per week. WIFI in the reception is for free albeit slow.

# There are 3 pools, hardly heated, just 21 deg C, and no salt water pools. There is hardly any space around the pool, which makes the area very crowded.

# I have been to many hotels around the world but have never waited for almost one hour to check in. This was because a bus with tourists arrived shortly before us. There were only 2 receptionists available to check those people resulting in a 30 meter queue.

# Cleaning standards were poor, i.e. for the rooms, reception area and restaurant. Towels were changed 3 times a week only, not up to standard for a **** hotel. At 17:00 hrs, the lifeguard on duty stops working when the pool is still full of people, mainly children. At this point the lifeguard walked around the pool and tells the adults: "I finish now"...

# Fortunately, we only booked breakfast and had lunch and dinner in restaurants of our choice. The 2 restaurants of the hotel have been dirty and crowded.
We asked to upgrade our son to all-inclusive so he could eat snacks during the day. However, we were told that they would only upgrade the entire family for the full duration of the stay, which we declined. We enjoyed great dinners in restaurants at Marina Rubicon.

# One restaurant is called "Bella Vista". If you go to breakfast early enough, you can get one of the 5 tables from which there is a great view. Otherwise the restaurant is dark, dirty and crowded. For the entire restaurant, there is only one coffee machine where you had to wait in a queue to get your (bad) coffee. A **** hotel should be able to offer freshly brewed coffee. When you came to breakfast between 9 and 10 am, most of the tables were taken and the empty tables were uncleaned. They always ran out of small spoons so you were lucky to get small plastic spoons.

# We had a rental car for the entire period of our 2-week stay and made trips across the island and to Fuerteventura. The highlights were El Golfo, the villas of Cesar Manrique and Omar Sharif and Betancuria. Our favourite restaurant was Lani's at Marina Rubicon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

we arrived and thought it was a lovely setting which it was but after 3 days my husband went down with sickness and the runs then all 3 kids got it then myself but to ruin the holiday all together is my mother got it who is 76 and got that bad that she collapsed and nearly died and split her head open and spent the night in arreciife hospital and is still undergoing treatment back home spent most time in the bathroom being sick at one piont i put a cross on the door! there is no push for hand sanitzers even though there is 1 on the hole estate but it should be pushed to people entering the restaurants that they should clean there hands but they dont so after 4 days of an all inclusive we had to pay for our own food from the supermarket to ensure we didnt get ill again. victor the room manager was exellent but apart from him they just said that no one else had got ill but everyone we spoke to atleast 1 or 2 of them was ill.they just dont care 7 out of 7 ill as dogs for 9 days out of 14 is this really whats just cost us thousands and left us with life threatening illness?what a shame!

Room Tip: stay away unless you want to die abroad
8 Thank 697warren
Dear customer,

Thank you very much for your review. First of all I hope your relatives are getting better.
Your review is very hard indeed. I would like you to understand that the symptons you mention can be caused by many things and not necesarilly the food. We have two labs checking our kitchens on a monthly basis and we follow very strict procedures. I personally think that it is not fair to accuse the hotel about something without a proof or clear evidences, This could lead to make nervous all customers with no reason at all and I feel that this is not very fair. With an average of 800 customers in AI everyday I can guarantee you that our H&S procedures are working very very well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
#6 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to TUI Family Life Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!