“Tapas”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Tapas”
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited several times, service always great whether you are having a drink or food, many many dishes, the sweets are delicious, sit in the back on the high tables and watch the food going out, smells are great, especially when the cheese is getting cut, never had a bad didh, my favourite is the black pudding with sweet onion sauce, seem to get a good local crowd watching the big Spanish games as well

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Southampton
“Good food let down by ignorant waiter”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

One day we popped in here for a beer after a hot walk. We noticed that there were a lot of tapas dishes in a cabinet at the rear of the restaurant and asked about them. The owners (?) were very helpful. They didn't speak much English but that's all part of the fun. We weren't hungry then but decided to come back one evening.

We turned up a couple of nights later. The waiter wouldn't take our order so we had to wait for another waiter. This may have been a system they had there, I don't know. When we got the menu we chose meatballs, pork ribs, calamari, stuffed peppers, battered cod and papas arrugadas. We asked the (friendly) waiter if these were good choices. He said that it was quite a lot but recommended that we swap the battered cod for scrambled cod (!) and add the Majorcan ham, which we did.

Everything arrived in stages. The calamari was excellent, the meatballs were a little bready, the scrambled cod was weird, the pork ribs, stuffed peppers and papas arrugadas were all very good. The Majorcan ham was absolutely fantastic. So we enjoyed the meal. Then we tried to get the bill. The friendly waiter had disappeared and the other waiter just didn't want to know. After a while I stopped him and asked for the bill in my rather broken Spanish. So he went for a cigarette break. He never gave us the bill. Eventually the friendly waiter returned and we asked for the bill again. No problem, although I did have to enter my card details several times due to technical problems.

A couple of days later we called in for coffee and unfortunately were served by the ignorant waiter. When he brought the coffee he just handed it across absent-mindedly without looking, while he chatted to his friends. I had to get up and take it from him. I don't understand this kind of attitude.

So I can't recommend this bar. The food is quite good, the ambience fairly ordinary but with good views of the harbour (sometimes engulfed in fumes from the ferry) but your evening could be ruined by this poor service.

• Visited September 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

What a great meal. With so many opportunities for mediocraty in a tourist resort, I was particularly impressed with the simple, no-fuss tapas as LA Katedral.

The staff were helpful, pleasant and great with the kids.
The food - extremely tasty and fresh (as much as we could tell). We didn't find this over priced and it was a lovely way to spend a few hours overlooking the harbour in Playa Blanca with views across the water to Fueteventura.

Recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fab food”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Enjoyed every part of it - the food, the wine and the view. We will visit again before we go back home.

Visited September 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent again”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

First visited La Katedral in June and went again this August with my wife, son and his girlfriend.We had told my son and his girlfriend how good La Katedral was and it didn't let is down. We went for a late afternoon meal and shared eight tapas between us which was just about right although almost bordering on too much. We had meatballs, canarian potatoes, mixed meat kebab, chicken in mushroom sauce, beef stew, chicken in beer and two others which I can"t remember. Everyone enjoyed the tapas with the exception of the chicken in beer which seemed quite sharp on the palate. We had two beers and four glasses of wine and the bill came to about 50 euros. My only small gripe might be that they charged us for the bread which they had not done on our previous three visits. Another successfull visit and will definately visit again next year when we come back to Playa Blanca

• Visited August 2013