“Nice apartments but not a 4*complex , food lets its down.”

THB Tropical Island
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Cornwall
“Nice apartments but not a 4*complex , food lets its down.”
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We have recently returned from the Sun Tropical and had a nice break. The apartments are lovely and our request for a ground floor room by the jacuzzis was picked up and noted. We had a south facing sunny room and were able to lounge on our terrace. The apartments are of a good standard. We decided to upgrade to all inclusive as we found food & drink to be quite pricy when at the hotel. The all inclusive was eur 24pp per day which we decided was worth it however we were left disappointed. The food is where this place lets itself down with poor canteen style meals & and very little choice. The a la carte restauants also left alot to be desired. Good family entertainment, the staff & reps were excellent. Playa Blanca is a lovely, pretty resort with fantastice beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CornwallTravelAgent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Just returned home from the Sun Tropical very disapointed.
After 3 nights of staring at mouldy walls and ceilings and lying in a freezing cold and damp bed we asked to change rooms. To be fair, the First Choice rep was very helpful. He took me to the first room the hotel offered and refused it on the spot as it was just as grotty as the one we were in. The second was better, but still not as clean as it should have been and still equally as cold as the first. The hotel is badly let down my the standards of cleanliness in both the rooms and communal areas such as corridors and stairways. Many of the sunbeds were filthy and broken and the "acclimatised" pools were all very cold. We overheard one lady complaining to the rep about the hotel not being a 4 star as advertised. She was told that the hotel wasn't in fact a 4 star, but 4 "Suns" so dont believe the hype in the brochure! At best I would say the rooms are 2 star - not what we paid for as this wanst really a cheap holiday for us.
On a better note, out of the hotel we found Playa Blanca to be lovely. The rubicon marina was great for a relaxing drink or meal and in the main part of town the restaurants were excellent.
The reps were all hardworking and very friendly and our daughter loved the kids disco and in particular Melanie, who is very funny.
I have no idea why First Choice would put their "Holiday Village" name to this grotty hotel and left feeling dispapointed and ready for our warm clean beds back at home. I am not sure I would ever book a First Choice holiday Village again as our first experience has not been one I would repeat!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank loobyloo29

Travelers are raving about these Playa Blanca hotels

east midlands
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We've just returned from sun tropical.... I have mixed feelings about the holiday....

Fabulous Dorada Beach is 10 min walk if you get the backgate keycard we found the quickest route was turn left out of back gate walk about 100mtrs take a right and carry on straight down this road past sun royal hotel & at the end of the road H10 Bahia Blanca Rock on the right hand side Netto supermarket on the corner on the left. cross over & walk thru the carpark where Princesa Yaiza is on the right & Hesperia Playa dorada on the left. there is a cut thru on the left by the Hesperia hotel at the end of that you will find the beautiful beach!!! Loungers are 2.5 euros a day where you can relax and daydream about staying in the Yaiza Suites behind you & not a filthy pit of a place like the holiday village!
Taxis are about 3 euro from the centre of Playa Blanca & about 3.5 from Marina Rubicon.
There are some lovely resturants at the Marina & designer shops if you feel the need.
The supermarket at the holiday village is pretty reasonable Spar & netto are a bit more pricey but lots of choice. I noticed on the day we left Netto was advertising Spend 20 euro & get 3 euro off your next spend of 10 euros which would save a bit it runs til the middle of April I think.
We hired a pushchair from 1st choice for £12 for the week which was a major bonus as we did alot of walking and we didn't have to worry about how tired our little boy might get as we opted to spend as much time out of the complex as possible.
What wasn't good was the shifty way I was asked for 30 euro deposit and then not given a receipt 'cos they didnt have any thing to write it on' so had to spend 2 days chasing around after the receipt & then was sent on a wild goose chase when I returned the pushchair & wanted to collect the deposit .I naturally thought this was pretty dodgy & wondered if the deposit was an official thing or an chance to con a bit of extra cash out of us!!!!
Our little boy enjoyed the kids pool and went a couple of times to the kids club where he enjoyed himself. To be frank a found a couple of the staff there looked like & behaved as if they couldn't look after themselves let alone someones child so he didn't go in when the sessions were being run by them. but I have to say that Leigh & Gemma were lovely & really behaved professionally.
We made a complaint to first choice about the fact that our room had the addition of an ant infestation & that we were not able to close the shutter on the front of the kitchen area and were met by the response ' what do you want to do that for?' As I wanted to use the shutter for safety reasons having a small child in the apartment I was taken aback at having to explain myself!!! (It might have been nice to trap the ants in as well) but no matter how reserved I had been in my dealings with the rep nothing was done.
It was a surprise to me to find that bearly anything was dealt with in a professional manner.
The room was not very clean and so I tried not to look closely at things for fear of what I might find . Unfortunatley I did find a used coffee filter in the coffee maker which was green with mold and yes the sheets had holes & the hand towels were all freyed around the edges they did the job of course blut really I don't think there is any excuse for that at all. It's not like the towels are changed everyday so what's the reason? It's not like we didn't pay for our holiday is it?
Our apartment was so cold and the aircon was not giving out heat so take extra clothes to wear inside!!!!
I would not go all inclusive you can eat well outside the complex for less than the 60 euro it would have cost us that is unless you need to drink all day.
Unfortunately we did eat in the pizza resturant one night the food tasted of absolutely nothing - very odd!!
The holiday was made bearable by the lovely beach but if you're looking for any level of comfort above that of a cell down the local station don't spend you're money on this holiday.
IT'S CHEAP FOR A REASON YOU KNOW!!!!
FIRST CHOICE YOU ARE A DISGRACE - HOW CAN YOU RATE THIS AS 4 STAR????????

2 Thank skillandace
Kent
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We are fairly experienced First Choice travellers and we have developed a working knowledge of what to except from their holidays. We found nothing of real note to complain about.

Travelling were two adults and two children aged eight and five. We were all inclusive. We travelled out on 12th Febuary and back on 19th.

After a three hour delay actually checking in at Gatwick due to computer failure with boarding cards being written by hand I was first relieved that all our cases turned up at the other end and secondly impressed that the shower in apartment 506 was hot. Due to the joining of First Choice to Thomson, this Thomson flight was our first in years that had no in flight entertainment of any kind.

When you check in at the hotel get the safe key – it’s a spacious safe, got everything in this one. Get the back gate key too. Yes it is a 20 minute walk to the shops and beach front from the back gate. Where are the public toilets at the sea front? We found one set which took ages to walk to. I'd advise going into a bar and using theirs I'm sure they're used to it.

What's everyones problem with the food at the buffet restaurant? We thought it was fine. A smaller selection than the Cyprus holiday village but still enough to feed a family of four. A man went around checking the food temperature too. The restaurant can get loud.

Book the speciality restaurants in the lobby bar the day before you want to eat there not in reception where the big sign tells you to. We had our meal in the pizza restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was so much we took the rest back to the apartment in a box.

Packets of crisps and ice cream available at the snack hut near the bridge over the main pool. The kids snack bar building next to kids club was closed for our stay.

All pools are freezing. In fact the only reason we probably wouldn't come back here again is because the weather is not guaranteed at this time of year. We were wearing jackets all day on some days and it just wasn't warm enough to sit outside every day.

Self service beer tip - To avoid getting a glass full of foam - Let the beer run down into the drip tray until it comes out as clear beer and without stopping the flow put the glass underneath at an angle.

Apartment 506 is one of the few that never gets the sun at this time of year so it’s a bit damp. We easily got extra blankets and pillows.

I was surprised to see the welcome meeting packed because the place is big enough that you have room to move without bumping into people during your stay. Plenty of sunbeds, most of them missing the bit that allows you to sit up, although if it was this chilly back home you wouldn't catch me sitting out in it!

The accommodation is about two or three star. I slept in the pull out drawer under the sofa bed, it was comfortable enough but I wouldn't do it for two weeks. My husband was on the sofa bed and the kids in the bedroom. We travel with a portable dvd player to catch up on tv we have recorded in recent months - take a universal remote if you want to plug up to the tv. The remote you hire doesn't have an av button.

The First Choice Kids club as usual is excellent. We wouldn't go on any other holiday at the moment with the kids at this age.

Our 8 year old daughter who found the high ropes course in Cyprus perfectly within her capabilities could not however climb some of the ropes course in this hotel as the foot rails were too far apart.

Not at all interested in the evening entertainment. I hate kids village time. The kids love it, but I have no desire to get up and make a prat of myself in front of an audience so I wish they wouldn't include the adults in this.

The Submarine safari was very well organised and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience although our five year old didn't like climbing down the ladder into the sub. We used our green banana discount card in the gift shop afterwards.

We went on The Volcan Grill evening trip. The volcanic landscape was spectacular. The plentiful food was cooked by volcanic heat athough the food was quite ordinary and the sausages were not child friendly as they were too spicy. The sangria if that was what it was supposed to be was watered down. The twists and turns of the 40 minute coach tour was a bit much for a travel sick 8 year old.

Take plenty of Euros for the airport going home. Once through check in and the huge security queue, 4 sandwiches and 3 soft drinks cost €20.80! The small bottles of fanta were €3.05 EACH! That's almost as much as the sandwiches.

On the whole it’s a holiday village and we love them, but I'd like to be able to sit outside without shivering next February, so we'll be at the Egypt one instead.

1 Thank Debz C
limerick
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Just back home yesterday, Having read the mixed reviews on this complex, I was somewhat aprehensive prior to our arrival, I am delighted to say though we had a fantastic holiday. My 3 year old had a ball in the kids club and I could not say enough good things about the entertainment staff. If you dont have young kids, it could be your idea of hell, if you do then it is heaven ! we went self catering, and paid for all inclusive out there €24 per adult per day and €12 per child, amazing value. The food is fine, nothing spectacular and free beer and wine all day cant be bad ! apartments are fine and were regularly cleaned and the complex is well maintained. We had a great family holiday (had our 4 month old with us as well) and I would most ceratinly return here in the future, well done First Choice.

1 Thank seanLimerick
South Yorkshire
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We were really worried about this holiday after reading some of the recent reviews, however, we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad. Yes the rooms are well worn, yes the towels need replacing and yes the bedlinen is shoddy, if some tlc was spent on these then we couldn't fault it.
The resort is definitely geared up for kids especially if you have kids over 3 and we would imagine it is great in the summer holidays for older kids to have a little bit of independence around the resort as it is secure and there is loads going on for them.
All the First Choice staff are really friendly and so too all resort staff, no-one passed us with out saying hello and it did feel a bit like Butlins in the sun, but when you are trying to entertain children thats what you need.
The complex is about 20 minutes walk from the resort, but it makes sure you get a bit of exercise, the walk to the marina is pleasant and there looks to be some nice restaurants.
Price wise we would say same prices as at home, but this is due to the Euro exchange rate and not the pricing at the resort. There is no longer any cheap duty free booze or perfume, although cigarettes work out about £15 to £20 a box of 200.
We only paid £520 quid for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant on a self catering basis so for that price we can't complain. I'm not saying we would go back but for a cheap week in the sun we were more than happy.

1 Thank MakySouthYorkshire
uk
Reviewed February 26, 2009

we went to the sun tropical in a group of ten, he are the truths no complaining that there are to many Spanish or i hurt my toe on the bed hotel only.
first impression was that the hotel is massive which it is. it's nicely laid out safe for the kids to wonder about safely. the rooms are well equipped and spacious but a little cold. the pools were cold but hey it was February the pools were a great size and plenty of them. main pool area was clean and tidy well spaced out so U weren't on top of each other which was good the entertainment staff where great for the kids but not really much for adults, they did do volley ball and french bowls which was ok. if you are going on a allinclusive package then it is a cheaper option, the drinks are expensive a pint of beer was 3.50 euros. food was not bad not much choice but good,the breakfast was the best ive had for a long time. but on the allinclusive u can used the pizza place and the tapas restrant 1's each a week which was really nice and the staff were really friendly. the dome were the main entertainment was held was really cold my kids called it a igloo so this time of year U will need a jacket the room it self was large but had bad echo which there are trying to sort out but was still great. the tavern bar is good but you can smoke in there which is a bit of a pain for none smokers but it has a dart board to pass time which i did most nights when not down the dome. if you are looking to go into town the get a back gate key it is a fair walk around 15mins steady pace we used taxis. they work out about 3 euros thats with a tip. i would recommend the volcanos it was fantastic experience we got a taxi which took us there and waited for use and brought us back.we was out for around 2 hours and cost 45euros which was cheaper than the reps trip. all in all i would recommend this hotel it was very friendly and safe for the loved ones.

if you are selfcatering the a allinclusive upgrade costs 24euros aday for adults the children get free drinks crisps and icecream even if you are self catering which was great so only the adults need the upgrade

2 Thank worzie
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
#16 of 38 in Costa Teguise
Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!