“Absolutly amazing”

THB Tropical Island
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I visit the hotel for xmas it was the 1st time id been away at xmas and i must say I the best time ever I couldn't fault anything what stands out apart from anything is the entertainment they are all great and made me and my family all feel extremely welcome Alice, Jordan and Michael defiantly will be going back asap best holiday ever.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Leeann H
Tropicalislands... T, Gerente at THB Tropical Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Guest, Leeann H;

First of all we want to thank you for choosing THB Tropical Island to enjoy your holidays, and for sharing your holiday experience with all of us, and also for scoring your stay among us 5/5, it is great !!
We appreciate your comments and remarks and the trust you have placed on us. Be sure that we will transfer your good words to the Animation Team.
We look forward to welcome you again.

Yours faithfull

Write a ReviewReviews (2,926)

Reviewed January 8, 2014

When when we arrived there was a very long queue at check in which took a while to be seen. The room was basic, surface clean but needed attention (decorating) and a deep clean. The beds are very uncomfortable and the double bed is 2 singles put together, sheets and manky blankets and only one pillow, I asked for more pillows but they didn't have any until the following day. The grounds are well maintained but there are quite a few poor condition looking cats around the place. The pool area is beautiful but the pool was too cold to swim in there are no heated pools here. The food was hit and miss there was some really nice food and some terrible. The worst of all was the pizza in the pizzeria it was disgusting and we was told not to go to the tapas as the food was too salty.We went all inclusive which was a mistake as the local alcohol they serve is bad we tried all sorts but it all tasted awful.Most of the staff were very pleasant but the entertainment was terrible, after seeing young children run around for over an hour they then put bingo on at 9.10pm on New Years eve. Even my young son had had enough so we left and walked down to the marina which is beautiful and saw the new year in there.The weather was beautiful for the time of year. Loved Lanzarote but would not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 67advisor

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing THB Tropical Island to spend you holidays and for taking a few minutes of your time to share your holiday experience with all of us.

All your comments and remarks are our main source of information to improve because we want to reach your expectations, and because we did not satisfy yours we feel very sorry.

We take note of your remarks, and we will try to do our best to improve our services and facilities, be sure that we will bear them all in mind, giving the information to the respective departments.It is a pleasure fo all of us to inform you that we have began to do some changes in restaurant, but all these changes will take sometime to be done and finished.

All THB Tropical Island team takes this opportunity to greet you cordially and we wish you a wonderfull next holiday wherever you decide to go.
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have just returned after a weeks stay over the new year and can honestly say it was fantastic value for money....I loved it!! We arrived about 9:30 in the evening, check in was very easy and efficient we were in our rooms about 15 mins after arriving. Room was basic but clean, which is fine considering you only use it for sleeping and showering.
We were all inclusive which I would recommend. Fantastic choice at breakfast, lunch and evening meals. Drinks, including soft drinks, beer, red, white and rose wine were all on tap for you to help yourself in the restaurant. We found the chicken shack which served snack food all day, including burgers, sausages, nuggets, chips, salad, tuna, etc, great as my 10 year old niece when hungry mid afternoon could help herself. We stayed during new year and was impressed with the effort the restaurant and entertainment staff went to. The grounds were kept immaculate the complex is in a lovely well looked after setting. There are about 16 pools in the complex. Unfortunately none of them are heated despite being told they are climertised they are absolutely freezing, which is such a shame as the main pools looks amazing but there was only a handful of people in for a very short period of time due to your body going numb! This is my only negative with this resort as I feel it's such a waste having these pools if no one goes in them from being so cold!
The weather was brilliant. Only had one cloudy day. Wasn't quite prepared for how cold it got at night. Glad I had a thick coat I used to travel in which I wore most evenings.
Playa blanca was a 10/15 min pleasant walk with some nice bars and restaurants along the front. Paid about £2.50 pint, £2 coffee.
We were warned about our luggage allowance for return flight as they do not let you get away with it. They charged 18 euros per kg over, this caused big queues at the airport with people trying to re pack suitcases.

Overall I would highly recommend the tropical island and the resort of playa blanca and would definitely return another year.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Melanie D

Dear Guest: Melanie D:

We look forward to welcoming you again in future visits to Lanzarote

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My family consisted of me, husband and 2.5 year old boy. Thomas Cook Airlines was fab and there were no problems with either of our flights. It took forever to get our bags in Lanzarote though. Check in was as fast as it could be, about 20 minutes. We were sent to the wrong room (someone else's) at first so that was a bit disappointing. The rooms are basic but have everything you require, except for proper hairdryer and iron. You can get the tv remote when leaving a deposit of €10 at reception. There were tiny ants at the sink area and we didn't use the facilities for cooking as we were all inclusive. The hotel is big, with 16 pools that were very very cold; there is only one pool bar at the main big pool, which again was understaffed with big queues. My boy couldn't go in the pools, which was a shame as he loves paddling and jumping in the pools at home. We sat beside the play park every day, which was great and he splashed in the splash zone. There is one buffet restaurant, one tapas (one visit included in AI - book at reception), one pizza (one visit included in AI - book at reception) - these were okay but nothing special and there is chicken snack bar for lunch. The meals were like school dinners and you have to queue at each meal time, obviously there are not enough table/space and would recommend a bigger space though I am not sure where they would put one. There was always something to eat and the rose wine was fab :) We went to the Dome each night from 8pm where the Thomas Cook entertainment team put on a show, there is always a mini disco for the kids followed by a quiz and sale of bingo tickets (one line was €40 and full house was around €200 so worth the €5 ticket) then a show from Thomas Cook team or someone the hotel brought in. The queues for the bar are long and that's because there was one guy serving by himself, shout out to Jamie, and people getting more than 1 drink per person. You do end up getting 2 so you don't have to queue as much. Jordan, Dutch and Alice were fantastic!!!! They work such long hours and we have great memories of them. New Year's Eve itself was great, the gala dinner in the restaurant was great, we had no complaints and the staff were very friendly and cheery. The entertainment and night in the Dome was great. There was the spa and indoor pool but it didn't open until 12 and it cost €5 for 90 minutes. There is a mini market on site too, in the Food market (where the snack bar, tapas, pizza and Tavern (pub which we didn't use), launderette are). We didn't go into the tavern. We used the back gate when visiting Playa Blanca during the day but not in the evening. Playa Blanca is lovely and about 15 minute walk with the pram - it has a little beach and lots of boutiques and markets. We took the ferry to Fuertaventura one day, and have a lovely meal on the front and played on the small beach. The ferry home was unbelievably choppy due to the gale force winds. We ended up walking back to the hotel as couldn't get a taxi, this was very disappointing - don't think you can flag taxis there. Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would visit again. Check out was very easy. We found the hotel staff very friendly and didn't have much to complain about apart from the queuing for dinner and drinks in the dome, and I am a complainer. We would definitely ask the hotel to give out free WiFi, thought €20 for the week for one handset was steep and I understand it didn't always work or was very slow. We found it cold/chilly at nights and recommend cardigans, jumpers or coats and long trousers. This is a family hotel so if you you don't want kids running about near you during the day or at night then I wouldn't recommend this hotel - there were adults complaining about the kids.

Room Tip: We were in the quiet area, Tropical side room 730.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LisaT2007
Tropicalislands... T, Gerente at THB Tropical Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Lisa

On behalf of the entire team of the THB Tropical Island, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Lanzarote.
We appreciate the time that you have taken to share your experience with us because your coments teaches us how to enrich our services.

Thank you again for your special comments.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This was an awful experience from beginning to end. The food was for the most part inedible, hot food was barely warm at best. One maybe two day old bread that was curling up at the edges, mouldy cucumber, gristle instead of meat in the stews.
Customers tasting from the big bowls and then putting their spoon into the next bowl to try that too!
The gala dinner on New Years Eve was an improvement although the wine was rationed.
The shower in the room went from hot to cold instantly, unsafe for small children which thankfully I was not travelling with.
The pools were cold and the bar staff were surly, they practically threw your drink at you.
I have been to Playa Blanca many times over the years but I can safely say I will not be darkening this 'resort' ever again.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank MrsTinglis
Tropicalislands... T, Gerente at THB Tropical Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Mrs Tinglis,

Thank you for your trust in the THB Tropical Island for your holidays. Your comments will help us to improve our service and make our guests stay better.
We take our guests comments very seriously as they help us pinpoint areas that have room for improvement, so the productive and helpful comments, in this case regarding the food topic, are always welcome!
We apologize for the comments stated in your review.

Sincerely

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Have to say I am most surprised at the reviews I am reading here, everybody I spoke to whilst at this hotel had nothing complimentary to say. We stayed here from 29 Dec until 5 Jan and just could not wait to leave. This was quite the worst place I have ever stayed with regard to the restaurants, they were just like a work canteen except you couldn't always get a table, the pub was totally packed every night and the domes appeared to be almost empty. We too ate out most days (and evenings).
Mostly, to be fair, the problems were due to understaffing, although how two restaurants holding approx 450 guests were expected to cater for the 1500 guests is beyond me.
Yes the grounds were lovely and kept very well, this is about the only good thing I have to say, although we would return to Playa Blanca as the resort was very nice with plenty of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen M

Dear Karen:

We regret to hear that you had a bad experience with us.

We could have talked during your stay to try to solve your incoveniences: we are very sorry.

We remain at your disposal for any thing you may need.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Five of us stayed from 22nd to 29th dec age range between 62 and 15. The hotel is very clean maid came every day ,food was nice and lots to choose from although it could have done with being warmer .there was something for everyone to choose from .the staff are lovely and couldn't do enough for you as everyone says it could do with more staff at the dome but you just wait and get served eventually! the Thomas cook staff are brill Dutch ,Alice and Jordan are great they try and get everyone involoved and make you laugh and Jamie the rep is really nice and helpful,,we would definitely go again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank fran19672014

Dear Guest:

First, I want to thank the dedicated time to give us your comments about your last visit THB Tropical Island. Your comments are the basis for our improvement and offer us the possibility to make the stay of our guests ever more enjoyable. On behalf of the entire team at the Hotel THB Tropical Island and on my own behalf, I convey our sincere thanks.we look forward to welcoming you again in future visits to Lanzarote.
Yours sincerely.