“Lovely complex but as for the rest of it !”

THB Tropical Island
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Birmingham, England, United Kingdomm
“Lovely complex but as for the rest of it !”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks with daughter and grandchildren.first apartment allocated was on 1st floor with doors windows that opened easily from inside and not safe for small children so asked to be moved to ground floor which was safer but the condition of it was weary and the beds awful one of us had to sleep on a sofa or pull out bed on floor as not possible to put a 2 yr and 4 yr in living room as also had cooker etc.apparantly don't have 2 bed roomed apartments and wanted 900 euros for connecting rooms ..could have moved to a good hotel for that , so made do with bad situation,
The one rep was useless and just said been really busy today if you went to see if she had done something ...but other Gaz was great and helpful .
If you go in dome check chairs one I sat on collapsed as only had 3 legs, was told they keep coming off and rep said would put in report to Thomas Cook but I couldn't see it . Hotel not interested just apology through rep.
Food was boring ,breakfast best meal as for snack bar great if you want burgers hot dogs or chicken nuggets for two weeks.nothing if your truly vegetarian ..
Need back door key as cuts distance to town down to about twenty minute walk.
Queues everywhere, needed to allow 15 mins to get a drink .
No evening outside or reception area bar only pub or domes so a long walk with a plastic cup if you like to be outside of an evening.. Or sit in a comfy seat with a drink in the hotels
Not able to hire tv package if in Island only in Tropical
Good points are the grounds and pools which were lovely and well maintained.
Kids club was excellent and well run .
A holiday little ones will love but adults will despair of the inefficient way it is run ..a hotel in decline was my opinion

Room Tip: Ground floor if you want easy access to a small pool ,
2 Thank Cynmar44
THBHOTELS, Director Comercial at THB Tropical Island, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear customer, thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy your well deserved vacation, thanks for your comments; it always helps us to improve our service. I would like to clarify a few points: our establishment, as you can read in the hotel advertising, does not have two-bedroom apartments, only adjoining apartments, connected by an interior door. We have two restaurants open for dinner, breakfast and lunch, apart from two thematic restaurants such as Italian and Spanish tapas. You find vegetarian food at breakfast, lunch and dinner and there are also options for vegetarians in the snack: lettuce, tomato, coleslaw, cucumber ... Due to we have sometimes too much influx of customers in some beverages points, we have increased the staff to avoid queues, so this problem no longer exists. On the outside of the complex, in pool areas, we use plastic cups, but inside the restaurant and night bars, we always use glassware. We have a large number of free channels, but some pay channels in both sides (Tropical, and Island).

The Direction

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Where do I start!!!
Queues, queues and more queues! Whether it be for a drink, Fodor reception you had to queue!
Tea/Coffee - only at breakfast as the machines are switched off at all other times in the restaurant. You could get tea/coffee at the poolside bar by making it yourself with their prefilled flasks of hot water, plastic cups and instant coffee.
Water - you could only get a bottle of water from the supermarket which you had to pay for!
Entertainment - what?!! Bingo and quizzes??? Not what I call entertainment! Thank goodness for the travel plan section.
Rooms - very basic but clean.
Towels - I wouldn't even use them for the dog.
Staff - try there best but over stretched.
Thomas cook staff - apart from Gaz the rest don't have much interest.
Food - school canteen would be better! My poor kids where so glad to get "proper food" when they got home.
Pools - good size and good variety but cold.

This hotel could be good if they updated the rooms and towels, hired more staff, hired decent chefs, got a good entertainment team, bought a proper coffee machine for the bars.

2 Thank Phami
First of all thank you for choosing our resort to enjoy your well deserved holiday, also thank you for helping us to improve with your comments, the majority of which are now solved, and the rest in process of resolution. You can find coffee and teas in different parts of the hotel, not only for breakfast. We only use plastic glasses in pools area. You can drink water from the water machines, and drink all the water glasses you like from these points. We do not have queues of customers. Reference to animation, we have two teams, you can choose from two alternative programs during the day and night, and they are dressed differently to distinguish them in the same way, they do the evening entertainment in different places and the mini disco. We have different kind of menus, we take care about variety and quality in every one of them, there is a large degree of acceptance and we are introducing new features, according to our customer’s recommendations. Pools in summer season are not heated but in winter. We think that we have a proper laundry and staff now; anyway we are going to study your proposal.

Travelers are raving about these Playa Blanca hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Just home after 7 days self catering.. And thank god we were. The all inclusive options were terrible... Perfect if you liked fish ... 2 resteaunts... Only 1 opened at lunchtime so the other queued put the door.

Pool bar - says 2 but only 1 open, waited at least 30 min each time to get a drink with only 1 person serving. We were in block 800 and it was a good walk to the bar to be given a very small plastic cup for your drink.

Rooms - rooms were ok, served the purpose. Beds were the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. The room was on the ground and we had our own pool so perfect for the kids to go in and out.

Pools - we had a pool at our block was perfect for access to the room. The main pool was freezing so be prepared. The splash pool was good too but again freezing.

Restaurant's - When I say terrible I mean terrible... Would not be impressed if we were all inclusive. Nothing ever cooked properly.
You don't get bottles of water included which I thought very strange.

We had pizza take away one night was ok.

Pool snacks were hot dogs, burgers n chips... Kids wouldn't even eat them.

Entertainment - kids club was good for the kids. Evening entertainment wasn't upto much but the guys done a good job. Spoilt by the dome bar again only 1 person serving... Opens at 8pm so 1 night it was 30 min to get a drink.

There is a supermarket but its very expensive... €3 for a tin of soup do be prepared.

We actually really enjoyed our week and did venture out at night for dinner but the resort itself was a total let down. I read the reviews on here before booking and couldn't see any bad ones. Boy was I wrong.

Got back Gate key definitely worth it and wifi was pretty poor too for €19.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank vikie2710
stoke on trent
Reviewed July 4, 2013

just returned from 2 weeks here. At first glance hotel appears drab and dated but dont let that put you off. Appartment block lovely - we had room 410 ground floor with pool right outside the door - perfect. Grounds clean and pool area cleaned daily. Sadly the same could not be said for our rooms - no bed change for over a week!! when we first arrived the hotel had an end of season feeling - things were not open and there was some confusion about what you could and couldnt have on all inclusive - on 1st day hubby got ice cream for the kids but next day was told not all included - then next day back on again. Chicken shack shut and when we first arrived only 1 resteraunt open so felt like a butlins canteen at meal times it was so packed. In our 2nd week the other resteraunt was opened so it made things more bearable. Wifi 1 euro for 10 mins, shop onsite open till 11.30. 2 entertainment domes - queue for the bar so bad in thomas cook one that we didnt go again - went to the spanish dome. Grounds beautifully kept and lots of fish in stream on site. snacks at pool bar in the day but the quality not good - gristle burgers and cold chips and nuggets - better off in the resteraunt. Always something to eat in the resteraunt even for fussiest person Hotel has tapas bar and pizzeria - food ok - best thing about them is that they are quiet and you feel a bit more special. deffo need a pass for back gate - a lovely walk to the marina - the beach is lovely too - 3 euros for a sunbed and 3 for an umbrella. kids loved the entertainment and sports with the reps
Overall a decent family holiday - no one was ill from the grub and the kids had a great time - at the end of the day you get what you pay for - and we definately had our moneys worth. Some of the staff were a bit grumpy and on our last day we asked to pay to keep our room but were told it wasnt posible as the hotel was full - we sunbathed outside our room all day and our room remained empty. Very disappoining especially as they saw i had a newborn with me.Would we go again? - no, but only because we never go to the same place twice.To sum up - basic but clean - you make your holiday what you want it to be - you could moan about a lot of things here but you will have much more fun if you accept it for what it is and relax

Room Tip: room 410 ground floor quiet with pool outside door -near the shop and bar
1 Thank moleyhunny
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our holiday but the hotel is not a 4 star hotel. The reception staff were brilliant and couldnt have been nicer, The food is ok breakfasts were the best. but not enough choice. The pools were lovely and as we were lucky enough to spend lots of time in the one near our room.
I have worked in travel for many years so think can see where the problems lie.
To make this a 4 star the beds would need upgrading. decoration needs a little updating and another bar needs to be opened at night.(Queues were really bad)
I wondered if they could separate the resturants to make one A LA Carte or even proper themed nights and the other basic food. This may encourage more people to come to the hotel.

My husband and me enjoyed the rest and would recommened this hotel to anyone on a budget for a 3 Star all inclusive .

I just want to also say thanks for locating my jacket for me and returning it to me. This was very handy on our returning flight as it was quite chilly leaving at 4.30 am.

Room Tip: We had room 810 in tropical side lower ground in corner near pool. very quiet and lots of space to s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coley135
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

returned from this place on the 30th june, and was so glad to get out, travelled with my wife and grandson who was bored stupid nothing really for him to do as he was to old to join the kids club and was to young to join in with the adults he is 12 yrs old could,nt play in the pools to long they were freezing cold.there was,nt much more for the adults to do the reps never started till gone 11 and were gone again for 1.30 back at 2.30 to play bingo round the pool (every day) then a quick quiz and finished again.and the so called shows they put on at night (after bingo again) ive seen better from children, were absolutely arandas The food,i would not give to a dog the meat always like rubber just as the chicken the soups had grease floating on the top the restaurant staff was miserable and very unclean we went to sit down on a couple of nights and the staff just brushed the table down and put clean knife and forks on dirty table cloths always had to que for breakfast lunch and dinner the rooms are something from 60s not 2013 I could carry on picking fault with this place but would be here all day typing this place is just one big rip off take my word for it and don't go.

3 Thank keithrichardson2453
If you are thinking of going to...
Thank you for choosing this hotel to enjoy a few days off. I would like to inform you that we have two parallel entertainment programs, with two different teams, in both you can find adults and children programs and you have the possibility to choose which suits you best. The pools in the winter season are heated but not in the summer season, you can check it from the catalogs or websites. There are two main restaurants where you can taste the same food, also two thematic restaurants open at dinner time, where you can find different dishes of international cuisine, most of our customers leave satisfied with our culinary offer. We take care of the cleaning and replacement of the areas where we serve food, we have a cleaning crew that cleans out before and after each service, during service we have the restaurant staff which performs cleaning functions. The cutlery and linen replacement is performed normally. As for the wait, this problem has been solved.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

ROOMS
We went for two weeks arriving on June 4th 2013. Our room wasn't too bad it was clean and reasonably spacious, although we only used the air-conditioning once, as it sounded like the propellers of a helicopter clanking around all night. The maids came approx. 4 times a week and to be fair did a good job but some days they left black bin liners of dirty linen outsides the complexes which I presume where meant for the maintenance to collect, but sometimes these where forgotten and looked rather unsightly outside peoples room. And I had to go chasing the maid for loo roll, as she forgot to replace ours and we had to use some emergency paper from the poolside toilets.

POOLS
Cold,(all of them) and the main pool often had plastic glass/plates blowing in, and would generally collect at the bar end, I suppose this due to the nature of the elements and other guests lack of consideration of using the bins, but I never saw anyone come during pool hours to clean it, but I could be wrong. On the plus side the life guard did seem to keep a eye on things and regularly walked the pool collecting rubbish as he went.

FOOD
I didn't see anything wrong with the food in the restaurant in the evening, it was varied and hot. The sweet choice was limited but it didn't reflect on our stay. If you get down to the hall too late in the evening expect to queue for a little while and make sure one person stays at your table as we arrived back to our to find it had been swiftly cleaned and someone else sitting there, on one occasion and on another occasion the waiter has took one of our seats to someone else table. About 4 days into our stay waiters advised us that the poolside would be open for breakfast awell, I think this was due to the amount of people they where getting through the door at shorter breakfast service, so it was opened longer at pool side until 11:30, which suited us as we enjoyed a sleep in. It wasn't a bad idea but you had to use plastic cups for cerel, so the next time I brought my dish from our room and washed it up once back in the room. The snack bar at lunch time was like a cattle market everyone scrambling there as soon as it opened, they couldn't keep the turn over going fast enough.

BARs
Not enough staff to man the bars, so you had to queue a lot although on our last day they did open a bar at the round end of the pool so don't know if this helped. It was the same in the evening bars either the dome or the tavern you had to queue and you where only allowed 2 drinks. which suppose isn't unreasonable if you don't have to queue. My six year old enjoyed the mini disco but it got a bit aggravating by the travel plan rep telling guests if they didn't join in the should go to bed. excuse me this I've paid for this holiday and if I just want to sit and chill I will thank you very much!!!!!

GUESTS
A mixture of nationality's, but you can see where the Brits abroad get there title from, it was like Chav city at time and the mouths on some of them in front of kids made me cringe.
On a final note my Husband clocked that quiet a few of the self catering guests where taking advantage of the all inclusive offerings. Guest not wearing wristbands standing in line for the pool bar and snack bar. This wasn't just one guest it was different members of different families, you could see they had a little routine going.

We booked with cosmos/Monarch holidays, there was no rep in our hotel for the entire two weeks. Thomas cook have a very big presence in the hotel and thank goodness they do. We booked the hotel with a kids club in mind, on finding the hotel kids club there was no one there and when I asked the travel plan chap who ran the mini discos he was very vague as to what was going on, except he told me that more staff where coming in a few weeks. So on that I took it that there was no mini club for us. BUT on enquiring with Thomas Cook they allowed our son to join with them, they did us a deal of 70euro for 20 hours which worked out about the right amount of time for two weeks.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay but I wouldn't be returning any time soon, if at all.

Room Tip: Try and request a upper room as you get a balcony to sit out on when you just want to chill, the low...
4 Thank lyd1975
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
#16 of 38 in Costa Teguise
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to THB Tropical Island? Share your experiences!