“I would go back!”

THB Tropical Island
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Went to the Sun Tropical Island in May 2013 16th-23rd with my partner and 2 children aged 3 and 10months. After reading some of the reviews on here I honestly did not know what to expect. However a holiday is what you make it and what a fantastic holiday we had!
I would def get (from reception 10euro) a 'back door key' otherwise trips to the beach will be a long walk round the whole complex back to the main enterance.
Food; I was quite worried about what I would be feeding my 10month old baby but the food was very nice and and there was a good variety for our stay of one week. There was a small daily visitor who used to come in and have a 'peck of the childrens buffet- a little birdy who we named Peckles! We were slightly concerned but otherwise saw the homour and just didnt eat from that buffet!
You can also book yourself in for the tapaz and pizza resturant for one evening during your stay- This made a difference to the normal eating in the buffet resturant and was actually very nice.
Room; slightly outdated but hey...the bathroom for the purpose of washing was clean, the shower had its own mind of the temp at times but otherwise bed sheets were cleaned 4 times! (so more than expected) and balcony was very spacious and safe for my children tv had cbeebies which went down very well with my children- you do have an option of paying for the remote control which we personally didnt see the point when you could manually changed channels. also well equipped
Staff members: Work very hard! the same guy that was at breakfast was also serving our drinks in the 'Dome evening entertainment, some staff we found a little abrupt while others were very nice, Thomas cook staff were very pleasent and helpful and we always felt that if we needed anything they were around.
Evening Entertainment: Not suitable for couples but if you want your kids to have a good time it was fantastic, mainly the same sort every night but a good place to let them burn some energy! if you like bingo, 5Euro will get you one ticket for some cheesy fun. Again TC staff work very hard at entertaining.
There are lots of pool situated around the whole complex which are really nice and clean but extreamely cold! that was the only let down we had as my son after experiencing this then refused to swim which we found a shame..
Otherwise a really nice family holiday ;-)

Room Tip: most rooms have pool view but some don't so I would ask for a pool view. So nice to wake up to t...
2  Thank Samantha J

Reviewed June 14, 2013

just back from a week at the sun tropical
had a great time, staff friendly, food good and pools great
kids entertainment great too
nice in playa blanca, and really enjoyed our stay

def get the back gate key from reception, saves you a long walk into town
rancho texas is a good day out too
good all inclusive hotel, our 7 yr old loved it

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chicken03
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We arrived on may 30th for 1 weeks all inclusive with me, my partner and 14 year old son. I was not expecting anything special, just a nice week away but the hotel was much better than expected.
Room was perfectly fine for what it was need for, yes it could do with some modernisation BUT for what we paid i was happy. We were only in there to get ready after a day out, to sleep at night and when we got up in the morning! We had a ground floor room on the Island side with a lovely big pool just outside our front door!
Grounds of hotel i would describe as very nearly perfect! Lovely and clean with plenty of space and great gardens. I also like the layout of the hotel although it did take a while to get used to.
Main pool was nice and large with plenty of loungers BUT it was FREEZING (this is really my only complaint)! If it was a little warmer we would have used it more. The smaller pools dotted around were only slightly warmer (but still not warm enough)!
Food and bars were on par with nearly every all inclusive i've ever used! Nothing special but nothing really bad either. Yes there was ques sometimes but this is life, deal with it and get over it or moan about it your whole holiday and ruin your time. It didnt ruin our holiday in anyway!
Night entertainment again not great but not dreadfull. Just the same as every all inclusive that is geared towards familys. We went the dome for bingo and then always left after to go to the tavern as we preferd it there, q's were never as long, more seats and entertainment more geared for adults or older children. The 3 of us had fun there and my son really thought catchy was hillarious!
We got the back gate key and yes it did save about 10-15 minutes off your walk into town. We walked into town a few days and evenings and it only takes 10-15 mins from back gate. Loved the little town and it had lots of nice restaurants, marina very nice also. Sea was lovely and clear and the beach was nice and clean, again the water was to cold for me though! Beautifull to look at though.
All in all for what we paid i thought this hotel was great for a family holiday. The only real complaint i have was the pool not being hot enough.
If you want the ritz PAY for the ritz! If you go expecting to get what you pay for you will be happy with this hotel.
I would definatly go again and i would and have already recomended this hotel to my family and friends.

7  Thank little_vic
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

This apart hotel is definately not 4star. It is a family friendly 2-3 star which was good value for the low price I paid.
Pros
Well equipped apartments in a clean complex
Friendly staff especially reception staff. We arrived just as dinner service was ending and were given sandwiches without hesitation
Plenty of pool areas

Cons
Probably designed as self catering
There is a definate struggle to cope as an all-inclusive. The buffet restaurant is tiny with huge queues most of the time
I have never seen a hotel with less staff. Waiters barmen etc were totally absent
Big waits for drinks at the bar
Food was very basic and that is being kind
Pools were too cold for a toddler

In summary
A cheap week away. Not comparable with other 4star hotels in Lanzarote. Very child friendly but I won't be rebooking

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank holtender
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Got back from a week at Sun Tropical Island last fri (7th June) and was very impressed with all aspects of the hotel and the town! Apartments were lovely and big and cleaned 6 days out of 7 with clean towels and bed sheets! Found all hotel staff very polite and not at all rude and beautiful grounds and garden's with ponds full of fish! Thomas Cook entertainment team worked very hard to keep all the kids and adult's entertained day and night. Playa blanca town is beautiful and very clean with crystal clear water in the sea. Food was good with lots of variety and my 2 year old ate loads the week we were there.
Only complaints I have are as follows:
Only 1 bar staff in Tavern and Dome so had to que for ages to get drinks
Cold swimming pools (but did warm up as day got hotter-I know not hotels fault)
Only 2 toilet cubicals in dome, not goo when hundreds of people there.
Overall a brilliant holiday and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank kellyloughnane
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was worried about travelling after reading some of the reviews. I stayed all inclusive with my partner for 1 week at the end of May. We were allocated a room on the 1st floor with a pool outside. In the 500 block. The hotel and the grounds were all very clean. The room was large and spacious with good facilities for self catering. It could however do with a coat of paint to freshen it up. Balcony was large but did not get any sun. The pools were very cold but this is a common issue in Lanzarote due to the winds. The grounds of the hotel were outstanding. There were plenty pools and sun loungers. Kids club and entertainment staff seemed great but this is a resort for mainly families so their are a lot of kids this wasn't a problem for us until they began hassling everyone by pressing the buzzers at a ridiculous time in the morning. The food... Breakfast - they had a large variation of food eggs cooked freshly but sometimes undercooked but overall was good. Lunch at the snack bar - avoid the hamburgers (very cheap meat and not tasty) and chicken nuggets were anything but chicken. The hot dogs, chips and salad were all fine. Evening meals- we landed unlucky in that we attended both of their themed evenings. Pretty much there is enough of a selection of food catering for everyone but don't go expecting high quality food as the majority of the meat is of poor quality. We attended the pizza restaurant one evening and although nice a poor selection of pizzas and awful service. All staff at the hotel were very friendly. Wireless Internet was a little limited in signal and can only be used on one device at any time. I highly recommend the back gate key as it cuts time of your journey. Taxi back is only 3 euros from the front of Playa Blanca. I would also highly recommend the adventure buggy trip. Not really mentioned much by reps ( they didn't know what it was) but head down to one of the excursion shops at the front and book it. Amazing views and experience! Overall a good holiday and would recommend to others but probably more on a self catering basis!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank J1993
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just returned from a week stay at Sun Tropical. Kids clubs are fantastic as were the entertainment team. Loads for the kids to do and so many pools to choose from. The range of food on offer was also fantastic with a section every evening which is cooked for you fresh in the grill eg lamp chops, chicken, tuna. I would recommend the Playa Dorada beach beautil and clean.
Thanks to all the staff at Sun tropical a fantasic holiday and will be returning

3  Thank helen g