“First Class Family Hotel”

Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“First Class Family Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed with my wife and 4-y-o and another family for a weeks B&B on the 9th July.
All in we all had a great holiday. This is the best large, family friendly luxury hotel I have stayed at. Virtually all of the staff were unquestionably friendly, courteous and helpful. The fact that we had a small child didn't mean we felt like we had to compromise and the facilities for children (largely why we chose this hotel) were suberb (see later). I would however suggest that if you are looking to travel in school holidays and want to avoid children then this is probaly not for you.
The check-in was the most civilised experience after a long days travel. No waiting and immediately seated with a drink offered.
(I aslo need to premise this review with the fact that we got a really good deal; after researching the hotel and shopping around so maybe we had slightly diferent expectations than others.)
So the room; as part of our deal we were upgaded to a suite. It was a great space with a large living room with two sofa beds, a large balcony and a big bathromm with walk-in shower, bath and double sinks as well a lrge fridge and kettle. However it was one iof the rooms that I had read people complain about (infact very similar to the previous reviewer) overlooked by one of the protected palm trees blocking out most of the sun, next to the walkway leading to Kikoland. Now we are not particular sun worshipers and plan to spend little time in the room so it did't rally bother us. The view was certainly non-existent and If I had paid top dollar I think I would have asked to move however I half expected what we got due to the deal and we were still happy sitting out there before and after dinner etc. We did however suffer severley (esp my son who was eaten alive) with mosquito bites so maybe this was worse in our area of the hotel. We did not suffer with any discernable noise from other rooms.
And yes there is an exorbitant price to pay if you want your tea and coffee topped up in the room so just take some with you (my wife wouldn't allow me to!) or just buy some from the mini market opposite the hotel's main entrance) which was also great for topping up on soft drinks, snacks and the odd bottle of beer and wine! Also in response to an earlier review on a number of occassions I took glasses back to the room and I even asked for empty ones to be filled with ice (by the evning bar and the pool bar) which was always done happily and with no charge.
As metioned we stayed B&B; I beleive the standard half board tarif was 35euro per adult & 25euro for children; 95euro per family without drinks and this was only for the three buffet restaurants. We like eating out on holiday and there is a wide choice and variety of restaurants (most which cater for families) on offer in Playa Blanca (marina 10 mins walk to the left for beautiful vistas and less mainstream offers and a plethora of decent places on the right following the main promenade right down to the port* check out my restaurant reviews). I don't think we paid more than 95euros between the two families including drinks anywhere in Playa Blanca.
KikoLand is great for children of all ages with a football school for the older ones. Our boys weren't that fussed but they loved the indoor 'softplay' which was also supervised for three 2 hour sessions throughout the day so we still mamnged some chill time. They also loved the kids disco which was also on at 8pm (i think) in the main auditorium every night.
The pools are great (really comfy loungers) with lots of shade and well kep surroundings and yes we did have to play the sun bed game but the hotel were leaving notes on beds if they were unattended. I don't think this would be hard to stamp out by just stating the 'no reserving' policy at check-in and then enforing it by following-up on the threat to remove towels etc from unattended beds. However if you can't beat 'em join em and we had a group of beds together by the top pool every day. The top pool was heated (variably) throughout our stay and was beautiful. This was quite busy with lots of children playing (maily nicely!) with balls and inflatibles etc. The lower salt water pool was a lot cooler and quieter. There was another pool by the family block (D) which we saw but didn't spend any time by. There was however an underground walkway that linked D block to the main hotel and this was great as this was lined with numerous aquariums which the kids loved.
This is a decent standard hotel so yes the drinks prices were quite expensive but not outrageous; the beer and cocktails were fairly consistent with other places we ate certain things like wine and inported soft drinks could be got a lot cheaper elsewhere. The smoothies and non virgin cocktails at the pool bar were expensive but delicious.
The qualty of breakfast was the best I have had at any hotel. The small touches count and as well as the normal aray of cereals, pastries, fresh breads, fresh fruit, freshly cooked eggs and hot and cold meats and cheeses there was freshly sqeezed OJ, with Cava, soothies and a selection of Iberico meats which even at the cheapest local places would cost 15euro plus for a small plate. We ate in two of the three buffet breakfast restaurants and the food was the same excellent standard in both The mexican was beautiful with outside seating but there were birds but they didn't really bother us. I believe that adults can also have an a-la-carte breakfast in Los Lobos but I can't comment as we didn't go.
The only restaurant we ate at was the Japanese 'Teppanyaki' (for a charge the hotel also provides a baby sitting service carried out by trusted staff members) which was good fun if you like the chef to cook in front of you and rapidly fire bits of omelette in the rough direction of your mouth. We did! As with other Teppanyaki restaurants I've been to it's more about the experience than the food and it was a good night and the food was ok but not great.
We also did not use the beach although it looked lovely. The hotel really is ideally located within Playa Blanca and we absolutely loved Playa Blanca as a resort with stunning views at most locations and plenty to do and see without ever bordering on tacky or overrun.
All in all we had a great time (wish we'd had 10 days) and if we find another good deal we would definately return (already looking for next July) again on a B&B basis and would posssibly consider paying for a pool or sea view room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank ITFC-BiG_SlicK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Firstly i must say that we visit playa blanca 2-3 times a year and have for a long time dreamt of staying at the yaiza! We stayed here for 2 weeks in July. Our booking through Sovereign said we had private transfers which consisted of a rep flagging down the first taxi she saw, which was fine except even a teenager had a job to fit through the gap in the seats to get to the back seats.
Upon arrival we were met outside the hotel by a very charming porter, we were also offered a glass of bubbly whilst checking in - very nice!
We were taken to our room which was slightly disappointing to be honest, it was on the ground floor and due to the design of the building had very little natural light, our terrace had no sun and the view of a hedge with the alleyway near kiko land beyond. Our walls had quite a few squashed Mosquitos on them complete with blood - yuk, thought they could have been cleaned off ! I think the room was just so dark we were getting bitten alive, it seemed by the walls the previous guests had the same problem, we were give one plug in repellent which did nothing , then another which did nothing , then a man sprayed the room but still they survived! The bed was 2 singles pushed together with a crack down the middle, useless shiny blankets on beds that just fall into a heap as soon as you move.
The room was so noisy, what sounds like furniture being dragged around above, we were next too a service cupboard and the loud sudden squeak that came from it gave me such a shock every morning I had no choice but to get up early! Due to this and the darkness we asked to change rooms, we were told the hotel was full but could change a few days before we left, we said we were unhappy and was offered a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the salt pool, this room was so much lighter and quieter but still the mystery dragging sound above and no mosquitos! Cleaner too if not a little tired. We were advised before moving to leave our hanging garments and they would be moved for us, however the porter who bought our cases looked shocked, he was very polite and friendly and did get our clothes, however we then noticed a whole wardrobe full was missing, which we collected ourselves. Upon packing to fly home we notice some items of clothing missing, these were either taken by someone at some point in our stay ( we had worn them during the first few days) or lost when our things were being moved for us however the hotel have no lost property and could not tell us where they were or why this happened, the sovereign rep who said she would sort it has also been as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Also asked for copy of the bill the night before departure but had to wait until morning when in rush to catch plane, we were overcharged.
There is wine in the mini bar in room but beware when I asked if I could collect a glass from the bar to drink the wine from I was told no, I could have one bought to the room for 6 euros - an empty glass to pour the mini bar wine in that I was buying !!!
The actual hotel is in a great spot and it is beautiful, however when your clothes go missing its a bit worrying especially when your spending over £6000 for 2 adults 2 kids to go to lanzarote! The breakfast buffet was great though. If you want a spot by the pool you best sit up all night, because by 8 am every bed has a towel on it, some of these reserved beds never actually have a human on them just a book! The adult hot tub is also unusable due to being full of children, at times swearing like you wouldn't believe , I did tell a member of staff who spoke to them but they stayed in the adults hot tub splashing and swearing.
We are now booking for October and will be looking at a different hotel or villa as its a really horrible feeling to think someone may have taken your things from your room and that no ones even cares.

• Stayed July 2013
14 Thank Vvjaz
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have just come back from a 10 day holiday to this hotel. In general, the holiday was great and thoroughly enjoyable.
The hotel is very nice and caters superbly for children. The evening entertainment was great and the kids loved the shows and variety it provided.
Our room was excellent, well maintained and serviced by the staff who are the primary asset of the hotel. In every area of the property, the staff were superb.
We stayed in block D which is primarily for families. I have heard people complain about the walk from the main hotel to this area but that was not a problem. However, it has to be said that when we booked, looking out onto a road was not what we bought into and nor is it the way the hotel is pitched in the many brochures and literary pieces available. It quickly becomes clear that there is almost a segregation of families via block D presumably to minimise noise and impact on other customers.
There are a couple of rather silly rules such as no floats in pools, which largely seemed to be ignored in block D. Asking for families to visit and not allow floats for children is somewhat perverse. The other would be trousers at dinner. Being on holiday, I want to relax and wear what I like, not be turned way from a restaurant for wearing dress shorts. As a result, we didn't bother with dinner at the hotel for the rest of the stay and I imagine it is costing the hotel business because of this.
We also experienced differing service standards in block D poolside. A buzzer system operates in the main hotel where drinks are ordered and delivered. In block D, going to the bar is the only available choice. Why this is I don't know.
The only other unpleasantry to report was 3 cockroaches, one half squashed inside the hotel walkway, one at the bottom of the stairs and more worryingly, one scooting up the leg of a chair at our breakfast table, ,much to the fascination of the children (all in block D).
As stated at the outset, we all had a really great time, the accommodation and service was first class but if we were ever to go back, it would be in the knowledge that we would stay in the main hotel complex.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Stuart A
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Where do I start?

Having travelled 12 hours to be in Lanzarote, we switched to the Yaiza after 4 days of being in a substandard hotel but that's another story! This is where our holiday began, Laura & Inge on Reception were outstanding and so helpful, we booked a suite in C Block on the ground floor which was fantastic, bright, clean and spacious. Being used to 5 star hotels in Dubai, I can honestly say the Princesa Yaiza is up there with the best!

Kikoland - I have never seen such a group of people work so hard to entertain the kids and families, the shows they put on are fantastic and I took part every day with Fatima, Fabio and the gang in aqua aerobics which was great fun! My son is 4 and loved Kikoland, he also enjoyed the soft play area and the mini disco, he loved the shows with the Kiko team and joined in with the other kiddies.

The food throughout the hotel was exceptional, we ate at the Yaiza, Kampai which was Tepanyaki and a great food show! We also enjoyed going down to the little ice cream shop for our lunch as it was less busy than the pool cafe.

We booked to see the 1001 nights family show where we were taken care of by Oscar, one of the managers who was an absolute superstar! He was fantastic throughout the stay and was genuinely sorry to see us leave on our last day. The hotel and pools are kept immaculate and we would not hesitate to go back again next Summer when the heat of Dubai becomes too intense!

The Marina Rubicon is beautiful, turn left out of the hotel from the ground floor near Boulevard Yaiza and a 10 minute walk where you will find a harbour and beautiful shops and fantastic upmarket restaurants, turn right if you prefer Blackpool Pleasure Beach type of restaurants and attractions! :)

Keep it up Princesa Yaiza, a lot of hotels could learn a lot from your amazing hospitality! x

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dubaidesertgirl
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We came back again because of previously great holidays and have just returned from another excellent stay.

The great things were,

1Our room - a suite with really high standards of cleanliness and comfort.

2.My little daughter aged 9 loved Kikoland again, I thought the entertainment programme was even better this year. Children's entertainment extended into the evening, overall the Kiko land team are amazing.

There was much improved adult entertainment, aqua aerobics and fairly light hearted bingo etc.

3.We were half board - Restaurants were generally very good with excellent range of food at breakfast and dinner. I used the a la carte Italian restaurant in our 1st stay (2011) We didn't enjoy it so haven't returned.

Other thoughts-
1.Lunch in the hotel restaurant was very good but very expensive - glass of house wine 14 euros. We alternated hotel lunch with lunch in our room bought from the supermarket across the road.

2.The one issue that now needs urgent attention is the pool area generally. There are signs everywhere saying that children were not allowed in Jacuzzi. The pool attendants tried to enforce this but I saw some very rude children basically ignoring them.

Previous reviews have stated that there is a race for pool side loungers each morning. This is true!

I tried not to get involved with this but it is now really bad, with people allocating multiple loungers for themselves/ families etc before breakfast and then not returning to them until often after lunch. By 0930 (ish) it is often not possible to get a lounger and then they remain covered in towels but not used for hours. The pool attendants do NOT act on this. During my weeks stay I did not see a single senior hotel person walk the poolside once.

3.Cleanliness of the pool also seemed to be a potential issue. My older daughter swam underwater a few times and came up covered in someone's hair ( a hair ball kind of thing) They may have an extensive pool cleaning programme and I did see some guys replacing some of the filter grilles around the pool but didn't see anything else.

4.I have seen that other people have noted regarding charging for tea and coffee in the rooms. Last year I paid for the daily coffee tray as I drink a lot of coffee, this year with coffee at breakfast and dinner I didn't bother. I didn't miss it!

5.was charged 3 euro for plates/ cutlery etc in my room - am not sure I have ever been charged this in other 5* hotels but it was a small amount.

So overall? We had a fabulous time, and I would go back. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly but I think the huge front of house management / comms team need to spend time out and about / pool side

The pool issues need resolving urgently but this is also about other guests behaviour and I'm not sure how they would police the hundreds of sun beds?

There is no point having signs up saying towels are removed after 30 mins when they are not even after 3 hours!!!

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank 1966girl
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed at Princesa Yaiza for our honeymoon in July 2013. We got upgraded to a suite in block A but unfortunately we had to ask to be moved as the view was completely blocked by a massive palm tree and the only other thing we could see was burger king! The following day we were moved to a pool view ground floor suite in block A which was lovely.
The hotel is spotless and rooms are cleaned every day. The staff are very friendly and they have a customer relations desk which is very helpful. The food was good but expensive, we tried some of the restaurants outside the hotel and they were ok. There seems to be lots to do for kids. This is a great hotel for a family holiday, not so much for a honeymoon but we still enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SharW77
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have recently returned from a 10 day stay at The Princesa Yaiza with our daughter. Where shall I start? We were collected by private transfer from Arrecife Airport and 20 minutes later, we were greeted by the Head of Concierge who offered us a chilled glass of Cava. Our welcome and check in were delightful and we were then shown to our room. We had upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Suite in order for it to be a little more comfortable for the 3 of us.

Our suite was perfectly situated in Block B (A316) overlooking the sea and small shopping complex situated a little down the road. This suited us perfectly as we didn't want to overlook the pools and the noise that naturally accompanies the area. The room was spotlessly clean and very spacious. There was a small kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, kettle and sink.

The cleanliness carried through the entire resort. Staff at all levels from the cleaning staff to Management were faultless and were genuinely there for anything that we needed.

Breakfast was fantastic and literally had everything that you could ask for. They catered for absolutely every requirement. The 2 highlight restaurants for us were the Italian (Don Giovanni) and the Japanese (Kampai). Both Service and food were outstanding and our daughter loved the "theatre" in the Japanese.

I cannot recommend this resort enough. We had an incredible holiday and plan to return for some more special treatment next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Heidi D
PYaiza, Resident Manager at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear guests,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort. We are also glad that you enjoyed the variety of breakfast. We do our best to offer something for everyone.

We would like to thank you for your kind comments about the Public Relation team and we will be sure to pass this feedback on to the head of the department- positive comments like these really help in motivating our staff and lead to a better service. We hope your son is better and well again.

We hope to see here back here soon at the Princesa Yaiza,

Kind regards,
Luis Folgar.
Director Residente.
Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort * * * * * L.
Tel. (0034) 928 519 222. Ext. 4057.
Fax (0034) 928 519 201.
Hesperia Playa Dorada
Hesperia Playa Dorada
#17 of 38 in Playa Blanca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,968 reviews

Been to Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!