“Especially good for children”

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Norway
“Especially good for children”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked a suite with a "family pack" direct with the hotel. Included transfer to/from airport by Felipe, very professional and picked up 5 steps from the exit door of the airport, excellent when travelling with small child after a long flight. Check-in was good, had to wait for room as it was lunchtime (people still to check-out), but left bags and got some lunch at the restaurant by the pool (average food).
Room was good size and exactly as expected (if not better as we had a see view without asking, with palm tree which I actually liked as it provided some shade but allowed evening sun + view of a volcano). Room cleaning was a bit hit and miss but generally very good. Hotel cleaning was excellent. Walls are super thin, you can hear "everything" from neighbours to the side and upstairs with shoes on sounds like horses on the tiled floor. Affects sleep for sure.
Swimming pools were very nice, but the kids pool was really cold, as was the main "heated" pool until the sun warmed it up (first couple of days were cloudy). Main pool was excellent for younger children as the ledge dipped enabling them to easily exit the water. The towels on sunbeds was not really an issue. As you see most people put them down before going to breakfast, so it's just to do as the majority does. Looked like there was poolside service for drinks, but I was only asked once during the entire week. The smoothie/ice cream hut was good, but service was painfully slow. Would have been good idea to prepare the fruit earlier (they used icecube tongs to hold the fruit and took off the skin with a knife. So massive wait if you stand waiting behind a family of 6 order).
The food was disappointing (for breakfast and evening buffet), quite a large variety of very average food prepared to a very average standard. I had expected more given the good reviews. Room service was terrible. Tried 3 times and each time very unimpressed. Last time (aside from the bad food), it took 3 hours for them to come collect the dishes. (they had taken the tray so unable to leave outside room either, as suggested). Room service said they were too busy.... in a 5 star hotel?? Ice cream store was very good and the food in the Italian was pretty good compared to the rest. Could recommend El Mano which is down by the harbour.
I thought entertainment for children was very good. Indoor soft-room for younger ones, kikoland for older. Evening entertainment in the theatre was surprisingly good. Could tell a lot of effort had gone into some of the productions. Nice break for parents when the children are so absorbed. Nice touch with paint/colouring set and swim aids in the room on arrival for kids.
Tried the spa and all was good. Very relaxing, good choice of services.
Although a few issues duing the week (expectations for a 5*L hotel), we did have a very enjoyable stay in a good hotel in a good location. Can definitely recommend.
Last visit to Lanzarote in 2010 we stayed in Melia Volcan hotel nearer the harbour. Not in the same league as Yaiza, but ok for the price.
The beach just outside the hotel is also very pleasant and well worth a few visits.
Would definitely return.

2 Thank Smurf38Norway
PYaiza, Resident Manager at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we wish to thank you for your visit to our Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort it has been an honour to welcome you and we hope to welcome you in your next visit.
Thank you for mentioning especially our entertainment not only for children but also for the adults, your comments is for all of us motivation in proceeding with our way of service even further and to continue in making our guests feel at home., if your children enjoyed with us, I would like to inform you that we have available in the app store a free app called Kikoland! to enjoy it at home.
On behalf of the entire team we thank you for being our guest and we all are looking forward to welcome you back to Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort in the near future.

luis.folgar@princesayaiza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We booked Princesa Yaiza last minute, and were very pleasantly surprised. We had never been to Lanzarote. The hotel staff, facilities, location, restaurants, & activities for children were outstanding. We took the option of the baby-sitter to enjoy the Latin night. She turned up on time, and looked after our daughter brilliantly. The Latin night, & other evening entertainments were varied, and good quality.
The hotel opens onto the promenade, & it's a brisk 10-15 minute walk down to he marina. There are many good restaurants down at the marina, & Isla de Lobos at the hotel was excellent. He snack bar is located near to the heated children's pool, & it serves a terrific Iberian hamburger.
Our suite was on the 4th floor; comfortable bed, rainfall shower, separate bath, living room, & fantastic view fom the balcony of the pools, restaurants and sea.
The staff are very professional and attentive; there was always a warm greeting at breakfast, & they made us & our daughter feel very special.
A fantastic hotel; the staff work very hard. We enjoyed our holiday tremendously, and would highly recommend it.

Dear Guest,

It has been indeed our full pleasure and honour of being your host during your stay here in Lanzarote. Thank you very much for taking your time in sharing your impression of our hotel with the online community of Tripadvisor.

With delight we read that you felt comfortable and happy with the facilities and services provided by the hotel team of Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort and you have enjoyed the entertainments that we specially design for our guests.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort , once again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We love this hotel. We are fairly fussy and have stayed in lots of great hotels in the Canaries with our 2 children and grandad, but having been stranded in the volcanic dust debacle, our recent visit was our fourth stay as this is the best we've found. The staff are amazingly friendly and attentive, the rooms are clean and beautiful, the location is prfect for a break in the sun and there are lots of things to do in the hotel for children (Kikoland is fantastic - my 9 year old daughter did windsurfing, kayaking and made all kinds of things - she loved it) and adults including a fabulous spa.

A few little gripes....
It would be really great if the hotel could do more for older children. There are lots of (lovely, well behaved and well parented) younger children having a great time in the hotel but there is less for 11+. I have fed this back each year and on the first day of our holiday we saw a poster advertising Teen club with masses of great sporty activities. Perfect. My 13 year old son turned up and was told that the club ahd been cancelled that week as nobody had turned up the prevous week. He was advised hat he might be able to do the adult activities. He turned up for adult activities and was turned away for being too young. I complained, and was advised that he could welcome at the Gremlins Club or 9-12 year olds. People...a teenage boy does not want to rock up to a club called Gremlins that makes friendship bracelets even if they play football every so often. Come on.

He has always enjoyed the amazing soccer school in this hotel but, although it says it is for up to 16, the majority of children are much younger and as a tall 13 he still loved it but felt his days there were numbered as he felt he stood out lik a sore thumb. PARENTS OFTEENAGE FOOTIE BOYS UNITE AND GET YOURSELVES TO THE PRINCESA YAIZA AT EASTER AND BOOK IN SOCCER SCHOOL AND CREATE A MARKET FOR THEIR TEEN CLUB!

We really want to continue vsiting this hotel but they will need to meet the needs of all our group!

I think the buffet restaurant at 38E per person is quite steep, although lovely, and most people really don't need that volume of food. A slightly cheaper a la carte restaurant would be welcome -it was clear that many more guests were going to alternative restaurants outside the hotel this year which I can only assume was due to the cost. There are some brilliant restaurants if you turn left up to the Marina - we liked Lanis - hardly fine dining but fun and something for everyone.

The hotel would attract more people to drink in their bars if the evening entertainment was a bit more exciting. We have stayed in many Princess hotels which have lts of dramatic acrobats and cabaret acts and t feel more of an event and a show - I have never seen anything of this calibre at the Yaiza.

And finally, yes, they do need to do something about the palm trees around their balconies but it really isn't a deal breaker.

2 Thank Jules470a
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your open and kind words. We highly appreciate that you took your time to share your experiences with us and our community on Tripadvisor
Thank you for mentioning especially our staff , this is very much appreciated by all of us and a great motivation in performing even better

As the well-being of our guests is of great importance to us, we want to make sure that everyone is provided with our best service at all times, because of that I would like to apologise if we didn’t meet the needs of all of you , Regarding the comments about entertainments the Hotel has differents plans to improve the teen activities in the near future.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon, thank you again for staying with us and for sharing your travel experience with the online community on Tripadvisor.

Best regards from Playa Blanca,

waterford
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am writing this from the balcony of our junior suite. I have read many conflicting views of this hotel, I hope my view is well balanced. Firstly, the j.s. we are in is really nice. Canadian style decor & very comfortable. I completely understand why people would have an issue with the varying balcony views, is it possible that the hotel could be more specific about view types? As in price the rooms on actual view.. Sounds like a large task I know, but may solve a lot of issues as many complaints on this site appear to be due to balcony view. I don't spend a lot of time on the balcony so this is not an issue for me.
The location is great, pool area is fab, as are all the facilities in the hotel, particularly for kids.. Wonderful selection of food for breakfast. We haven't had dinner as it is rather pricey, but it is the same in every 5 star hotel so I have no issue with prices.. The hotel is 5mins from lots of good value restaurants & bars. All in all a great hotel with lovely staff.
If I were to suggest something it would be a pay per view movie channel!

Room Tip: Be specific about you view/balcony requirements when you book.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review on Tripadvisor and for choosing the Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort for you holidays.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. It is always our goal to make sure each and every guest has a memorable stay with us.

We feel really proud that you recommend us as an excellent option. We hope to see you back at the Resort on your next trip to Lanzarote . It would be a pleasure for us!

Rossendale
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Princesa Yaiza for a week in mid April. Lovely welcome at the nice entrance and a glass of champers while we checked in promptly. The room was on the 1st floor looking out to the lower pool. nice views and maybe one floor higher would have been better! breakfast was v good with an excellent choice of english and int food. Overall a lovely stay.

One warning don't eat at the italian(Don Giavanis') - we booked a table for 8:30pm, when we arrived the manager said sorry your name is not down ( I had booked earlier in the day at reception).Sorry we are full he said as I looked around at about 6 empty tables outside. He then said we can get you inside!!! He sat me my wife and baby at a table for 10 in the corner. I just got up and sat at a table for 4...The food was shocking, cold shellfish soup, cold fillet steak and king prawn risotto with a raw prawn. We called the manager over and he was shocked to see the watery Raw prawn. We got free desserts as he said he was embarrassed!!! As we left 4 of the tables were still not taken outside.

would defo stay again if we return to Lanzarote but just avoid the italian

2 Thank Pedroseal
Dear Guests,
As the well-being of our guests is of great importance to us, we want to make sure that everyone is provided with our best service at all times, we always try to please all our clients and adapt to their customs and preferences, We sincerely apologize if this was not the case.
We hope you give us another opportunity and have the opportunity to meet your expectations.

Best regards from Playa Blanca,
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am an older American citizen and did not know what "resort" means when attached to hotel. While the facility is grand, spacious, and lovingly appointed, the resort hotel has many children with parents, of course. For the most part the children did not cause difficulties except in the various dining areas. There are three main dining restaurants, buffet and quite a grand selection of food. One, the Continental Yaiza which is the main one and where early all breakfasts are served. Could not have asked for more selections. The smaller and for my partner and me, for our 1/2 pension plan the Italian was wonderful. The Mexican choice, to me, was not Mexican. I´ve lived and rated in Mexico. While choices were there, it was to me Tex-Mex food.
The staff was alert and for the very most part helpful. We had for us a major confusion relative to the in-room coffee-tea service. We called before leaving and was told the service included the water cooker, instant coffee, and tea. But NOT told that there is a sur charge for the drinks.
The other warning I would alert potential guests. There IS a dress code of sorts for men in the dining rooms for the evening. ONCE being told that my pants needed to be below my knee, the greeters pointed to a small diagram at the door. I could find nothing IN the room alerting. It was to me embarrassing and the two greeters insisted over and over again how sorry they were. Which, though perhaps well meaning, was another embarrassment.
We are not water people and not hikers and not into wellness. We wanted solitude and rest. While I would return based upon the overall experience, I would only alert potential guests.
The island is fascinating. Have never been in such a location. We drove during the days and found quaint locations, took a submarine ride (costly but fun and interesting) and drove to the volcano demonstration location.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, then you will, of course pay for it. We did not and was satisfied with ou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bud101
Dear guests,
It has been our full pleasure and honour to welcome you at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel and resort. We appreciate your review about The Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort and for giving us your feedback, which we really take into account, I apologise once again for any inconvenience caused. We all are delighted to hear that you spent wonderful sunny relaxing days and you have enjoyed this wonderful volcanic island.We look forward to welcoming you back to the Princesa Yaiza Suite Resort in the near future.
Scotland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for a week with my elderly mother and sister who is wheelchair bound. The disabled suite room A507 could not have been better. Very spacious and comfortable. 2 bedrooms, one with kingsize bed and other twin bedded. Very large bathroom and good sized lounge. Good balcony which got a lot of sun. Good mobile hoist at pool area for disabled guest to get into pool although they would suffer from hypothermia pools were so cold. The pool areas were overcrowded and loungers all booked with towels - not 5 star. Children behaving badly everywhere. Breakfast just average not a great selection compared to other 5 star hotels and buffet dinner especially in Mexican Buffet restaurant very poor. Paid to upgrade to use other restaurants but these were nothing great. Air conditioning far too cold in many of the public areas and the entertainment was the worst ever. Position is good for either visiting Rubicon Marina or Playa Blanca itself. Gym was reasonable but needs a good clean, bad smell of sweat. Spa overpriced. If it wasn't for the excellent room this would have been a disaster. This hotel is way overpriced compared to similar hotels in the Canaries. I noticed many rooms got no sun, either low down or palm trees blocking any light.

Room Tip: Most rooms on block C blocked out by palm trees and will only get a little sun in the evening. Bloc...
3 Thank sports1mad
Dear Guest,

With delight we read that you felt comfortable and happy with your room and the location of Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort.
Thank you for your valuable feedback posted on TripAdvisor. We rely on our guests’ feedback to continuously improve our services so we sincerely thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It is our top priority to provide guest with the best service so we apologize if, in this occasion, your expectations were not covered in certain services. We have taken good note of each comment and we can assure that they will be carefully analyzed in order to take the appropriate actions. It is thank to your comments and impressions that we can keep improving in our services.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
SENTIDO H10 White Suites
SENTIDO H10 White Suites
#8 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!