Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$154
$194
  • Breakfast included
H10 Rubicon Palace(Playa Blanca)
$145
$186
$180
Priceline
$235
$209
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Ona Las Brisas(Playa Blanca)(Great Value!)
$175
$169
$160
Elvoline
$136
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
THB Tropical Island(Playa Blanca)
HotelQuickly
4,187 results
All reviewsisla de loboskiko landfamily blockdon giovannila haciendablock dthe main hotela la carte restaurantshalf boardguest relationssea viewtapassoft play areakids clublower poolturn down servicefantastic hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our winter break of a week to ten days just before Christmas is not an easy choice for us - we don't want to do long haul, but we'd like good weather and a high quality service: the Princesa Yaiza fits the bill perfectly!

Okay, the star rating is a bit misleading to those used to hotels in UK or mainland Europe, because as has been pointed out - this certainly isn't the Ritz - and we wouldn't want it to be! Luxury is having all or most of your needs fulfilled before you thought to ask: the team at this hotel does an excellent job in providing this service. Friendly, efficient and relaxed - they made us feel comfortable from the moment we arrived.

We know Playa Blanca from a previous visit and often dined at the Marina Rubicón - this time we added evenings at the hotel's Kampai and Don Giovanni restaurants. The food at Kampai is not the best we've had, but it was all very good and it proved to be a fun evening in the company of fellow guests. The Don Giovanni gets a special mention for the quality of its ingredients, preparation, presentation and service - it knocks the spots off most of the local restaurants. We dined outside and listened to live music - it was like being in a little town square, with guests coming and going to provide interest and atmosphere (okay, the wine helped, too!)

The quality, design and maintenance of the hotel structure is at a very high level - I know some reviewers have complained about room noise, but we were not troubled by this, and slept soundly. The comfortable, well appointed and spacious suite was very hard to abandon at the end of our stay!

We intend to return next year at the same time, which pretty much speaks for itself.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Kitmania
PYaiza, Resident Manager at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Mrs.

Thank you very much for all your comments
We are happy that you really enjoy your stay in our Hotel, and be sure that we will try to improve that service in the different points that you have inform.
Also the comments form the Italian Restaurant D. Giovanni is very important because normally we receive fed back just from the service and from the food but never from the sensation from the ambient.
We expect see you again in Lanzarote.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Ok, why not start with the negatives...

Pool temperatures could go up a few notches for winter guests. They are too cold. I swam in the sea which seemed more agreeable. Kids are gravitating to the jacuzzi near the kids pool. Take the hint!!

Internet access is rubbish. The hotel already know this. I had heard it was bad, so when I asked about it on check in, I was given a Davolo booster box which plugs into the mains and solved the problem. Why doesn't every guest automatically get one of these?

TV is rubbish. BBC world and Sky News does not cut it for English speakers on a 5 star package. Luckily, I had also read about this on Tripadvisor and connected the iPad to the TV with a composite cable to watch pre- downloaded movies.

Bars in the hotel have little atmosphere. Piano bar included. Jazz bar seemed a bit better although it was quiet on the Friday night that I visited.

Buffet - thankfully I was staying BnB. The food may have been ok/good but there would have been zero atmosphere.

Isla de lobo restaurant is a bit over done and overpriced. Great view but food was not up to scratch. Japanese was better.

Good points
Very child friendly. I was travelling with 2 x 1.5 year olds.
Good children's play facilities including nursery
Reliable babysitting service with mature trustworthy babysitters who also worked in the hotel as reception/ restaurant staff.
Good a la carte restaurants
Italian and Japanese were top notch. Tapas was underwhelming.
Poolside smoothie/cocktails
Gelato bar
Kids play areas in block D. Kids also loved the fish in the tunnel.
Spa - good massage
Barber/hairdresser
Kikoland- santa arrived on a camel on Christmas day. Kids loved it.
Beach very nearby is great
Many restaurants in Playa Blanca within a short stroll.
Great supermarket across the road
Breakfast - outstanding
Decent, reasonably priced minibar.
Chambermaids do a great job daily.
Balcony was nice for lunch.

I stayed in a Royal Kiko suite which has a separate room for the kids. Bliss. Great night's sleep. Fully equipped with cots, changing table,baby monitors and baby toiletries. The works.

To add fuel to the Four Seasons/Ritz debate, I would say that the Princesa has a bit to do to hit those standards, but I had a fantastic relaxed holiday with my family here and I would struggle to think of a better child friendly hotel in the sun in Europe. Reminded me of the Four Seasons Maui in a lot of ways.

6  Thank Niall B
PYaiza, Residente Manager at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Mr

In reference at your comets, I would like to say thank you for all the good points that you mention in your writing.
Also, I would like to say that in some of the other matters that you named, we are working very hard to try to fixe it or change it ( Wireless Internet, English channels…). I expect that if you decide to come back soon to our Hotel, all this little inconvenient will disappear.
We hope to see you here soon

Reviewed December 28, 2012

What can I say but WOW! We really enjoyed our 1st family holiday abroad with our 10 month old it was an excellent choice and one we will be returning to again next year and the year after!

We went 2nd week of december the weather was lovely certainly hot enough for us about 22-24c. On arrival into the plush reception where you get personalised service and a drink after travelling makes you feel quite special we were then told we were upgraded to a suite with a sea view, this was amazing. Plenty big enough for a small family, and great room for the travel cot.

All the staff were so attentive and friendly at this hotel, they love children which is great. Particular mention to Marsha and Ana from customer relations they were brilliant greeting us like friends every morning at breakfast. The buffet breakfast had so much choice, I think you could have a different breakfast every day for 2 weeks. It was all fresh and made to order.

As it was December the pools were cold, but just head down to the family block for the heated pool and this was lovely and warm as someone mentioned previously certainly no issues with sunbeds in December plenty to choose from. The beach is just outside the hotel and Playa Blanca town is 10 min walk one way and the harbour 10 the other way, so a perfect location. No need to hire a car if you just want a relaxing week away as we did.

We both used the spa separately and found the staff really helpful and friendly and I think for the price of a treatment that you can use the spa pool and facilities afterwards included is excellent value and I have paid more for a so called spa in the UK that is nothing of this standard. Ladies I would recommend the seaweed wrap in a capsule sounds strange but really relaxing. The spa was quiet as I think the hotel was, but I wasn't complaining of having a spa pool all to myself to relax in!

Overall the holiday was excellent from start to finish, we stayed bed and breakfast and found plenty of choice in town to eat out with a treat of eating in the hotel once as it is more expensive, which was a little disappointing for the price. If you can upgrade your room it is worth the luxury,although really missed the chocolates on my pillow every night when I got home. Will definitely be back and worthy of 5 stars.

Room Tip: The suites are great for a family with a small child.
2  Thank Jcmb191

Dear Mr. and Mrs.

I can imagine how important are the first holidays in family, It is something that you will have for the remember.
We are really happy to know that we collaborate for that holidays will be a good remember, and also we are glad to know that you are thinking in coming back in a short future.
Please let us know when you will be in the Hotel again, to make sure that everything is going to be as good as your first visit

Reviewed December 27, 2012

First of all it is worth saying that this is definitely the best hotel on the island on every measure: service, food, location, facilities, etc.

But it is certainly not on a par with international 5 star hotel chains such as Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton as some other reviewers have suggested.

My negative comments are fairly minor but taken as a whole they do detract from all of the great things about this hotel.

1. Half board includes dinner in the hotel's buffet restaurant. The food is good, but the room feels like eating at a canteen - not at a 5 star hotel. And if you want water you have to pay extra (it's not cheap..). If you fancy some sangria, you cannot order it by the litre or half-litre. You must order it by the glass (and it's very expensive..). The whole thing feels like a rip-off. We actually preferred to go to the hotel's a la carte Italian restaurant (for a fee), or even better why not get out of the hotel and find somewhere else for dinner

2. You are given 4 complementary teabags in your room. If you want anymore beyond that you have to pay 20 Euros for the privilege. And they will count the teabags one by one..

3. There are very few double beds in this hotel. Most rooms have 2 single beds pushed together. The reason we were given for this was that the hotel is popular with business people! I ask you..

Everything else about this hotel is excellent (apart from a few other minor niggles). We would definitely return, but next time we would do bed & breakfast (which is excellent by the way). I will certainly never eat at this hotel's buffet restaurant again for as long as I live, and next time we'll buy a box of 100 teabags for 2 Euros from the local supermarket.

Room Tip: There are four "blocks" to choose from. Avoid block D which is an annexe to the main hotel.
2  Thank njd123

Dear Mr. and Mrs.

As far as I can understand in your comments , your experience in our Hotel was good, but your expectations were bigger that the real experience.
We are really sorry for the possible mistakes that we did, and I expect that if you come back all this little details will be fixed.
In reference at the size of the beds, it is true that we have more twin beds that king size beds, and that is because not everybody want to sleep in the same bed. I would like to clarify that if one guest request a King size bed, we always try to do our best to fulfil their wishes.
Also I would like to say that the Hotel has 3 different buffets and 5 a la carta restaurants where the guest can have dinner. In the a la carta restaurants the guest on Half Board received a discount for use it. I just want to say that the guest with half board have a big variety of choices for eating.
Thank you very much for all your comets, and we expect that you decide to come back to Lanzarote in a short period of time

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel was definitely 5 star luxury and had the wow factor. The indoor tropical lobby was a highlight. Furnishings were opulent and plush. It is very large and takes a couple of days to work out how it all fits together as it is not obvious, but it has been cleverly designed so that it doesn't feel too massive.

We booked a suite. This was great for 2 adults plus a child and very spacious. The beds in the main bedroom were enormous. A double bed was actually 3.5 foot singles pushed together, with their own bedding. This may be considered a good thing for getting to sleep (and they were very comfortable) but you did need a pair of binoculars and some mountain equipment to find your partner and fight a mountain of sheets for a goodnight kiss. Not very romantic.

Food was excellent. We went half board. Choice was amazing and really good quality. It was expensive if you wanted to eat at the restaurants on site for other meals and we ate out each day for lunch. Much cheaper and nice to get some more local food once a day. Local restaurants generally very reliable.

We travelled the first week and a half of December which was as the hotel admitted the quietest week of the year. Anyone with problems with sun lounger reservations should try this week. You could have your pick of loungers at any pool any time of day. Unfortunately the main pool was being renovated this week, leaving a loud drilling sound all week and a noxious solvent smell. This shouldn't be repeated for some time so should not affect other travellers. The pool in block D was heated and was fine for me (generally a wuss when it comes to pool temperature) but my 3 year old was shivering so we mainly used the kids jacuzzi, which was ok off season, but I imagine it would be crowded at other times.

Which brings me to Kikoland and children's entertainment. I have to admit being disappointed with this, though it was not helped by the lack of other children. I went to an H10 hotel last year (which I reviewed) and whilst the food was rubbish, the entertainment far exceeded the Yaiza's efforts. I did go at peak time to the H10 and I don't know how much this had an effect, but they seem to put much more energy and creativity into their entertainment with activities round the pool and shows each night. Here, entertainment was restricted to Kikoland and the mini disco. The disco was good (when they were dancing - unfortunately every evening also spent 10 minutes publicising their CD and taking photos of the mascots - ok once or twice but the kids do not need a photo shoot every night.) It was very empty and on one night there were just 2 kids on the dance floor, so hard going. We went to Kikoland a few times and it seemed somewhat lacklustre. The programme as advertised had themes each day and scheduled activities. But we found that most of the time we were there the children were colouring in or watching a DVD. It was more of a baby sitting service than an entertainment club. There were hardly any English speaking children of my daughter's age (nearly 4) for the entire trip, which was a great shame. It was really too empty for me.

The settings on the TV can be altered to change the language to English for several channels - I don't know if this is a new feature but other reviews commented on lack of English channels.

Service was very good. Reception was very accommodating in changing our room at check-in when we found we had a palm tree view. Restaurant staff were very friendly and efficient- sometimes too much so as our plates were whisked away before finishing sometimes if we looked away too long!

A word of warning about child car seats. If your child is of Uk Group 1 seat size, then the seats are truly hopeless. We hired a car through Cabrera Medina and they provided what was more like a Uk Group 2 seat with limited fastenings. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent for children too big for a baby seat but too light for a booster. The car seat could be moved sideways by over a foot. We managed to get by by wedging it under the back seat rest but generally I consider the seats very unsafe and ridiculously fiddly. We spent an hour trying to get car seat suitable for our taxi back to the airport. The one provided by the hotel was a Group 2 style and not suitable for our 12 kg child. They did not have another and all the hire companies have a siesta all afternoon so we could not find another. Luckily another taxi company came to the rescue with a reasonably good seat, but the hotel's own plus their hire company would not be recommended for the safety conscious.

On the season: early December is cool out of the sun. You need a jacket if the wind is up. When the wind drops, it is lovely. It's a nicer resort than Costa Teguise - more authentic. We drove to the North of the island which is recommended. Much greener than the barren South and beautiful mountains.

Overall, a great hotel, but would prefer a few more people to make the entertainment more lively.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are less likely to have palm trees blocking view. Also noise from rooms above is quite loud. We stayed in 332A which overlooks sea, shopping centre and gets the afternoon sun. Reception has a picture of the view from every room!
4  Thank nutwood_wanderer
PYaiza, Resident Manager at Princesa Yaiza Suite Hotel Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Mr. and Mrs.

We would like to say thank you, for the comments and the time that you took to write here in trip advisor.
It is true that the first weeks of December the occupancy of the Hotel is quite down, that it is very good for the families or the couples who are looking for a quiet place.
One of our really values is the animation team, we have an staff of more than 20 people, which do a fantastic show for child and for adults during the all year, depending of the occupancy of the Hotel. In low season we have also shows, but are smaller and less, on this dates we use to have more live music.
We would like to you take the decision to visit us in a different season; to show you what we can do.
Please if you have any other comment or doubt do not hesitate in contact with me, will be a pleasure attend you personally