“great hotel”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Bexhill on Sea-East Sussex UK
“great hotel”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

What a beautiful hotel. All the staff were very friendly and all seem to enjoy their jobs. Great commoradary between all of them. Very clean, great choice of food. Outdoor pools cold for me but the indoor pool made up for it. Evening entertainment was below parr compared to other 4* star hotels in Lanzarote. Maybe two good evenings-Drifters night was one and that was the only night anyone used the dancefloor.
Our standard room was on the 4th floor (Reception level) but was miles away from anything, always cleaned to a high standard. Balcony was huge. The main thing that spoilt our holiday was the cold wind, temp around 20-23 deg but wind factor meant people were walking around with jumpers on. I have to say tilley2 did make some good points re retired couples in the hotel but maybe they were unlucky with people that they spoke to as anyone we spoke to seemed friendly, although I did sometimes get the impression that some wanted to be left alone, which is fine, especially if your job at home involves talking to people all day!

Resort was quiet and great for young families with a sand bay just down the lovely prom walk, Supermarket and a few quiet bars just a stones throw away but was too cold in the evenings to venture out(baring in mind we didnt bring any warm clothing)
A nice walk to main Playa Blanca resort which had more choice of restaurants and bars-didnt see any clubs so a nice resort for young families or older couples.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a long walk to anywhere else in the hotel. Sea view or pool view are worth the extra...
2 Thank GerryC060
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear GerryC060,

Thank you for your review.

We have a big hotel, very big, and unfortunatly not all rooms are close to the reception or restaurant.

Normally we provide the nearest ones to oldest people (+70) o for the ones who ask for it.

José Angel Vázquez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,001)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Warrenpoint
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Saw some of the reviews there and I would recommend this hotel to couples. Although it was a few years ago when we were there if we were returning to Lanzarote we would stay here again. Loved the hotel, the food was fantastic especially the breakfast. Room was great and all very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MemphisCaulfield
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear MemphisCaulfield,

Short review but very clear. Thank you very much indeed!, and thank you for your rate of 5 points.

Don't wait so long to come back again.. ; )

billingham cleveland
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay here,and have to say this hotel is nowhere near as special as some reviewers would have it!Unfortunately, we were swayed by these reviews before booking.
BIG MISTAKE on reflection, we feel these reviewers need to get out more and actually visit other hotels to see how it can be done better. Our check in was quick and efficient but we witnessed one guest, with a query about her bike hire, being shouted at by one reception staff, (a tall thin dark haired woman), very unprofessional.
Our room was 014 on the lower ground floor which we initially requested swapping because;
a) was so dingy we could not easily see what we were doing, let alone read anything.
b) it was below level of pool area so those on sunbeds above were just lying there with full view into our room
Yes, there were voiles at the patio doors but with these closed this diminished even further what little natural light was available.
However, we were abruptly told there was no chance of changing rooms for 4 days as hotel was full.The next morning we actually changed our minds about the room because the Thomson rep told us that their other rooms would not be as spacious and were at the rear of the hotel.We just had to keep all lights on all the time.
More significantly, the weather was very breezy so not many guests occupied the beds overlooking us and our patio area was really sheltered so we could sit in the sunshine for most of the day without battling the wind.This turned out to be the best aspect of this room!
,Also, we must say, cleanliness of the room was never an issue.
The pool area was well set out, unfortunately as with many hotels, the pool was so cold it was unusable.A new indoor pool had just been opened which took some finding but was worth it for a swim in comfort.The decking area however was awash with ants running around.My guess is this pool it will prove to be too small to accommodate the numbers of guests wishing to use it.
The piano bar was a really nice contemporary area to relax after our evening meal.
The entertainment in the disco bar was terrible, smacked too much of Butlins!.What 4 star hotel uses Thomsons entertainment teams to bulk up other poor quality entertainment? Do they assume that after guests have had a cocktail or two they would not know the difference? Cringe worthy is how we would rate it.
The restaurant buffet service much the same as a lot of other hotels, but we felt that all the food was well presented but let down by the fact that some of the "hot food", such as vegetables and soup, were not kept hot, they were COLD.
Plates were removed far too quickly and one night even our champagne glasses were removed whilst we were choosing our dessert!
The public toilet rooms on the restaurant floor were in need of a damn good steam clean.I couldn't believe the state of the paintwork around door handles etc.They looked appalling.

Yes, the idea of "adults only" appealed, but to be honest this hotel lacked some life and vitality.It lacked any sort of a holiday feel to it. The majority of the couples were of retirement age and kept themselves to themselves, perhaps as they would at home, never speaking to anyone no matter how close they were sitting! Some guests would probably describe it as peaceful, but to us it was soulless

All in all,a rather disappointing hotel, with too many below standard failings, to be rated 4 star

3 Thank tilley2
Jose Angel V, General Manager at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear tilley2,
I'm sorry that you were not happy at our hotel.

I don´t know wheater you had as you say so high expectatives because most of our guests are really happy with our staff and our service... I don`t know, just I'm sorry that you were not happy.

I write everywhere that we have a very quiet hotel, if someone is looking for a big entertainment this is not the right hotel. We don´t have as you mean big life and vitality, or marcha. We have 2 atmospheres:
-in the show bar we have a bit more activities with several profesional shows and some music groups.
-In the piano bar we have 7days a week live music quiet and very nice, so that the guests can choose the ambiente that they prefer.
-**The outdoor pools are not heated**. We heat the indoor pool 28-29ºC. We have an outdoor big jauzzi heated too. It is 28-29ºC too.

We have different types of rooms: standar - seaview - superior - privilege. Of course they have different prices. If someone doesn't like the room he got, we move him as soon as possible, but always in the same type they paid for. We never give free upgrades. We think it is not fair for the guests that pay more to get the better room.

I'm sorry again. Kind regards,

Leigh on Sea
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My Husband and I had a wonderful time at the Timanfaya Palace, I really cannot understand the negative comments about the hotel, it is lovely, all the staff were friendly and helpful, we didn't meet one miserable staff member the whole time we were there, I work on the assumption that you get out what you put in, a Hola, please, thank you and a smile seemed to work for us!!

ALL the staff worked exceptionally hard, the bar and restaurant staff seemed to be everywhere during the day and evening.. We loved the Animation team, of Agata, Jens and Maita, who worked very hard to keep everyone entertained during the daytime activities, and also in the evening, all of them were friendly and approachable, and we had lots of chats and laughs, all should have lots of praise for doing such a wonderful job.

A big thanks to Kelli the Entertainments coordinator, and Helen and Greg, the Thompson Duo who did a really great job of singing, the guests were up dancing and singing along with them!.

I do not see how people can complain about the Management not being seen, we saw both Jose and Javier all the time around the hotel and grounds, even eating their meals in the main restaurant. We were told that Jose has an open door policy for staff and customers, so cannot see why people didn't use that as an incentive, instead of moaning when they get back home!

I wrote a personal email to Jose Vasquez to thank him and everyone for making our stay so enjoyable, to which he kindly replied.

All in all cannot find any fault at all with H10 Timanfaya, everyone we met was a credit to the company and the management, we look forward to our next visit at some point in 2014.

Regards Sandra and Brian (room 345)

PS We met a lovely couple Helen and Colin, next door neighbours in room 344!! who we spent a few evenings laughing and joking with, hi to you both if you are reading this message!

2 Thank ScoopsLeighonSea
Dear Sandra and Brian,

Thousand thanks you very much for your nice review and your rate of 5 point. Muchas gracias!!.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed your holidays and I appreciate your very nice comment about our staff.

I hope to see you soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We wanted a late holiday with a short flight and the opportunity to catch some sun. I was recommended to this hotel by my local Thompsons travel agent. On arrival, my husband and I found the people at reception quite awkward and this created a bad first impression . However, we soon forgot this because the rest of the week was excellent and the staff were extremely helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent with a great choice. We went one night to the A La Carte restaurant and this was excellent. The bedrooms were spacious and very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The only negative thing was the gym. The machines were very worn and I think they should be updated. The gym wasn't very clean( unlike the rest of the hotel) and I would suggest installing a water fountain in there. Overall, a great hotel and it ticked the boxes!

2 Thank Michelle M
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for your review!.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your holidays.

About the Gym, I'll take care that it is kept clean, but unfortunatly we are not going to buy any more machines in 2014. For a holiday hotel, we owners mean we have enough, and I don't press them with this because I agree (sorry!) I think the limited resources to invest should go to other improvements that I have already in mind and we are working with it...

Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have deleted my previous review of this hotel and replaced it with this updated version for two reasons:

1. To explain how Tripadvisor works to some reviewers who don’t seem to understand the process. Just because somebody leaves a negative review or gives it less than five ‘stars’ doesn’t mean that they are a ‘moaner’ any more than leaving a very positive review makes that reviewer a sycophant. The whole idea is that we each review it based upon our own experiences and the reader can then make up their own mind from the overall trend. At the foot of each review it says that “This review is the subjective review of a Tripadvisor member”, and each review should be read as such. As long as we are all honest in our reviews then Tripadvisor is a great tool. I know I would never visit a place before looking it up on Tripadvisor. Everybody has their own standards and expectations, so let’s just report our own experiences and leave it up to the readers to decide for themselves.

2. To correct a couple of ambiguities in my earlier review.

There were aspects of this hotel that were very good and there were also aspects that were below par for a hotel that tries to market itself as an upscale destination.

I would rate this establishment as a very good three star hotel that could be a four star with a few tweaks. I am not talking about Tripadvisor ‘stars’, but rather the star rating attributed to the hotel by the relevant bodies. This is of course just my opinion based on what I would expect from a four star hotel.

I think that part of the problem is that my expectations were too high, given the many 'five' ratings given to this hotel on Tripadvisor. Having now visited the property, I can understand why some guests may consider this a top end hotel. All I can say there is that it is all relative and depends completely upon the individual that is giving the review. One man’s five star is another man’s three star. There is nothing wrong with that, it is all just subjective judgement.

There are many, many positives about this place, and can I just say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would consider returning if we ever visit Lanzarote again. However, I will concentrate firstly on why I do not think this is a high end hotel.

The wonderful welcome that we expected turned out to be not so wonderful at all. Not unpleasant, but certainly not enthusiastic. When we arrived, along with about 20 or so others on our bus, there was actually NOBODY at reception. We waited a few minutes and then one solitary member of staff arrived. She was joined a few minutes later by another employee and we were booked in with no particular special touches. We were offered a glass of bubbly by a member of the kitchen staff who looked as if he had been dragged away from more pressing duties to be a waiter. We were given very little information about the hotel (safe, wifi etc.) but were told to consult the directory in our room. Like I said, not unpleasant, but simply perfunctory, and certainly not the effusive welcome I was expecting.

Next area that needs improvement is the wifi. I rely on a good wifi connection whilst on holiday, so that I can keep in touch with my business. The signal at this hotel was at times woeful (even in the public areas) and was at best inconsistent. There is no excuse for this. A couple of signal boosters costing under a hundred Euros would fix the problem. I got a stronger signal from the Natura Palace Hotel wifi, which was quite some way away along the front, but of course I couldn’t log onto that one.

A four star hotel has impeccable service. This hotel barely rates a three star rating based on the level of service encountered. Some instances were:

Breakfast waitress who didn’t know what decaff coffee was and who tried to convince me that sachets of ‘normal’ Nescafe were decaffeinated. Duh!!

Speaking of breakfast, please, oh please can you buy toasters that you don’t need to put the bread into four or five times to get it browned!! This was exasperating and more than one diner gave up waiting for a piece of toast. It doesn’t matter that they might be new toasters. They just don’t work properly!! If you don’t believe me, Mr Manager, go and look at the line of people at them during breakfast and see how long they take to turn a piece of bread into a piece of toast.

Another waitress at dinner time who sneezed into her hands and then continued laying a table. She needs educating in basic hygiene, and I am sure she is an exception. I saw NO other instances like this. Quite the opposite in fact, but this still needs to be addressed.

Very slow and patchy service in the bar areas. I often had to go to the bar to get drinks, as the waiters were too slow in coming to our table, and we don’t drink much at all. Whilst the vast majority of waiters were very pleasant, there were one or two that really need a smiling lesson. Just one or two, and maybe they were just having an off day or two?

Overall, I think the service could improve immensely with some staff training as the people seem willing enough, just lacking in some areas. I had no problem with any of the staff, other than the surly breakfast waitress, and they all seemed friendly and hardworking.

Whilst the gym was really good, it wasn’t helped by the fact that it shares an entrance with the sauna, meaning that people would often walk through the middle of the aerobics floor whilst someone (usually me!) was trying to exercise. PLUS, some people think it is acceptable to take a dip in the pool and then walk across the polished floor dripping wet into the sauna. This practice needs to be stopped before somebody slips on the water and hurts themselves.

Do you really need to have a nudist area????

That’s all the negatives I can think of. None of these are serious enough to stop me going back, but they need to be addressed if this hotel wants to be considered a top quality establishment. I do believe that this hotel can be seriously good if it addresses these points.

There are many, many good things about this hotel.

I LOVE the ‘no towels on sunbeds’ before 9.30. This worked a treat and was properly enforced. Well done to the pool attendants.

The place was spotlessly clean.

There were no screaming children at the hotel, thanks to the ‘adults only’ policy. Great move, Timanfaya Palace!

There was always somewhere to sit in the piano bar where we could listen to the musicians.

The food was of a consistently high standard, particularly as they were obviously catering for a great many people. I liked the fact that there was a station at every meal where you could get a fresh cut of meat or fish cooked to your liking, and they could cater for a lot of people at a time, so the line was never long. Plenty of choice and always piping hot. Well done to the catering staff.

Mike’s Coffee Shop was a delight, but we only found out that it is included in the All Inclusive package by accident. I would encourage anybody to try this place, as it is one of the best things at the hotel and, like I said, is included in the AI package. There are one or two special coffees that you have to pay for and I think you have to pay for the cake (not expensive) but there is a great choice of coffee and the girl running it was very friendly indeed. This place was the jewel in the crown of the Timfanaya Palace for us and sets it apart from lesser establishments.

There are plenty of TV channels in English. I think there were 8 English channels, and similar in German and Spanish, with other channels available in Portuguese and French. A good selection, and not just your usual CNN/BBC World channels (although they are there too).

Housekeeping services were very good and we were pleased with our room maid, Sandra, who we never met but who kept our room spotless and the tea and coffee well stocked.

All in all, a very nice hotel that I would definitely go back to if I were to visit Lanzarote again. So this is not a negative review, just an honest assessment with some constructive feedback for the hotel to become even better.

A few tips:

If you want a true sea view room then request an upper floor. Our ‘sea view’ room was on a lower level and the view was mostly garden. We thought about asking to be changed, but it wasn’t that bad, so we stayed put.

Try Mike’s Coffee Shop. Especially if you are All Inclusive.

And lastly, don’t expect too much, like we did. Just expect a nice relaxing place with three star service and you will not be disappointed.

Don't take a kettle, like we did, as there is one in the room (We had a sea view room, not a Privilege room.)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better sea view.
3 Thank TOM-C--LIVERPOOL
Dear TOM-C--LIVERPOOL,

Thanks for your review. As you are, I'm a big fan of tripadvisor too. I reply with the profile as H10 Timanfaya Palace, but I have my private profile ( Joseup). I use it always when I travel to get advices and I write reviews too. I have already 165 contributions. Feel free to look for my private profile if you wish.

You can see in my profile that my way of travelling is very peculiar... I can go to a 5 star hotel or a 3 star hotel, I can eat in the best restaurant in the city or in a neighborhood bar. When I rate them I always think about the product and service that I have bought and its level. I have given many 5 points to 3 and 4 stars hotels because I felt very well in them, and in 5 stars I am much more critical because the ought to have a higher service. Even though you can see I have given some 5 points to 5 star because, although they were not so perfect, we felt really happy in it, we used to fell really welcome and don´t mind if a bulb had no light... just I informed and all happy.

Please do not misunderstand me, I just would like to give my point of view on what I think is the tripadvisor

Many guests think that we are 5 star hotel and they say as 5 star we are average, but we are 4 star....

As I answered already to your review... before deleted it and writting again, I rather keep at your disposal and if you would like further information, please, don't hesitate to contact me.

the lakes
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just got back from one of the best holidays we have ever had I would like to thank Vicky for the lovely treats left in our room they were much appreciated and made our anniversary perfect also a big thank you to Martha who looked after our room it was spotless every day, the staff on arrival at the check in desk were wonderful even though we arrived at about 11pm they directed us down to the restaurant where there was still hot food waiting for us, The food was fantastic and the choice was amazing I dont think we ate the same thing twice and finally the waiters and waitresses in the restaurant especially Diane and marie who looked after us always with a smile and time for a chat, its not often we go to the same place again but the Timanfaya we definitely will.

4 Thank rodandnora
Dear rodandnora,

Thank you, thank you very much for your nice review and your rate of 5 points.

Be sure I'll print your review and send a copy to the staff you mention with my compliments. They'll be very happy with your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Barcelo Teguise Beach - Adults only
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to H10 Timanfaya Palace? Share your experiences!