H10 Timanfaya Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 7 night holiday at this hotel. We booked half board which was fine for us as we do not eat much at lunchtime and to get value for money we would have to have had lots of drinks all day long. We were disappointed in the hotel as we had requested a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and were allocated one on the ground floor were told that we could move room after 3 days if we packed up all our clothes and vacated the room by 10.30.a.m. they would then allocate another room to us after 2.p.m. This meant wasting a full day so we decided to stay put. We were situated just over from the pool area in a not so nice part of the hotel. In general the staff were most helpful and friendly both at the bars and buffet restuarant. The evening meal for us was disappointing. Breakfast was fine, plenty of fruit, cereal, bread and cooked food if you wished but at night apart from the salad bar and fresh cooked meat(which was sometimes cold as it had been cooked and put in a dish at the side) any cooked stews were tough and overcooked or cold as were the vegetables. Perhaps this is just not the sort of hotel we should choose - preferring to be served as in most Italian Hotels. This was our 1st visit to Lanzarote and probably our last as we do not want to sit by a pool all day long and after walking into Playa Blanca everyday there was little else to do or see. We did visit the Timanfaya National Park which was very interesting.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank twoitalyfans
Write a ReviewReviews (5,841)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent 2 weeks at the start of October 2012 at this hotel. On arrival, got checked in and found our room. What a great surpise we got when we saw the size of the room. It was just like the brochures - nicely decorated, clean and tidy. the bed was enormous! The bathroom was huge and very clean - excellent shower! Balcony was a nice size too. Whilst we were ground floor, we were lucky to have a really good view as well.
We were half board, and found the food absolutely spot on! Always something to choose from, both at the breakfast time and at the evening meal ... always plenty of everything for everyone.
Top marks to the management for the 9.30 ruling on sun beds - it seemed to work very well.
The location of the hotel meant it was nice and quiet, but offered the opportunity to have a pleasant walk into the town itself, with longer walks to the lighthouse and marina area.
All told we had a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to anyone.

5  Thank PWhiz
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just returned from the timanfaya palace and have thoroughly enjoyed the week I had there.. The hotel has a very smart and impressive lobby area and piano bar which leads out to the sun terrace perfect for watching the sun slip into the sea with a drink. Check in was fine for us with no issues or difficulty our room 346 was probably the furthest from reception but not an issue as it looked directly out to sea. The room was clean modern and with a huge very comfy bed and spacious bathroom and a welcoming bottle of red wine.
The main buffet restaurant was large and bustling and sometimes very warm but the food really was of an excellent quality and plenty of choice of freshly cooked food even the fussiest of folk could enjoy a lovely dinner. The waiting staff are very busy that seemed obvious, as this was the buffet restaurant clearing tables and resetting the tables for the next guest as well as assisting the diners does give the impression of them not being so attentive but I have to say I found them all very pleasant and wanting to be helpful. The al la carte restaurant 'kasbah' was on the other hand not such a pleasant experience, the food was fine but no more worthy than the buffet infact some dishes seemed the same. The ambience of the place was poor,badly overlit ,dreadful music playing and had the feeling of a shopping mall cafe.We heard other guests couldn't get a reservation on the night we ate even tho the place was empty. This should be a special place to eat but it left me feeling cold and preferring the main buffet affair..
The hotel has plenty of try-out activities such as archery ,pistol shooting ,keep fit etc and the team which run them John Krystina and Ben are fantastic. Having never tried any of these it was great to have a go but of course there is no pressure to join in . In general the hotel entertainment was fine , it's not west end stage but we enjoyed the Argentinian dancers and a tribute act.
The down side and the reason I couldn't give this hotel top marks is the pool, it was freezing . They say its heated but it was so cold it's only joy was to sit around, as a pool is fundamental to a holiday for me having one which hardly anybody used was an issue. We stayed all inclusive which worked fine for us although it seems cheeky to charge to hire the fridge in the room and not to put a couple of bottles of water in the fridge daily rather than remembering to have to get them from one of the bars etc..
Overall we had a really nice stay and I would def recommend and infact would return but in the hot summer months when the pool would be hopefully warmer.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dean_n_10
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Recently stayed at the Timanfaya Palace Hotel. Really lovely. I read the reviews before I went and did not find hardly any of the negatives people mentioned. I went half board but next time would go all inclusive. The staff were really polite and helpful. The food was excellent although you do have to watch they don't clear your table half way through when you get up to get your next course - this happened to lots of people, not just me! They also catered for special dietary requirements. I took my own beach towels - always do. The Piano Bar was the best place to relax in the evening - lovely atmosphere. Spoke to lots of couples who had returned there many times and can't speak highly enough of the place. I would certainly reommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed in this hotel in June/July this year and after 3 days complained about the food!!!

We requested a move to another hotel with our Thompson rep only to be told it would cost another £850, bearing in mind we had already paid over £2000 thought this was ridiculous and incredibly greedy.

The hotel management got involved eventually offering to let us eat in the "A La Carte restaurant, on the first night we walked out as the food was horrible.

The manager was apologetic and offered us a "free holiday" so that he could prove to us that they could supply decent food, on the day we left this changed to a free upgrade to all inclusive if we booked a half board break,

We will never return to this hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ChrisR527
VazquezRomero, Gerente at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

ChrisR527,

I´m sorry that you were not happy with your holidays in our hotel. It is a pity that the first time you share a comment is to write a very negativ review.

I please you to write me a private Email or phone me and with pleasure I´ll speak to you. I and my team work always to do our best. If someone is not happy with our meal (although me have more than 120 different choices every night in our big buffet and big show cooking), we can prepare what they wish specially for them, with pleasure, it is not a problem. We usually get meal wishes from people following diets or ill, and never met some one saying our "food is terrible"... In this case, also with pleasure we can prepare any special courses for them....
Offer a free holiday???.... never!!.. This is one of the reasons that make me think you were not in H10 Timanfaya Palace.

I invite you to contact me and explain your case. I promise I´ll answer you. For the other readers, please, remenber we are here for you, and if you are not happy with anything, contact us so soon as possible, we´ll find a solution. Now at home it is too late..

Kind regards,

José Angel Vázquez

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent the week beginning 25th October at the Timanfaya Palace. This was our first trip to Lanzarote - and the reason we went was that the dates were OK, it would be warm there and we could fly from Stansted. So we didn't have any high expectations!

Our last 2 winter sun holidays have been in Boa Vista in the Cape verde Islands - and we loved it. However the trek to Gatwick which always seems to mean an extra night away at an airport hotel is a real drag - so Lanzarote seemed a reasonable alternative. The island itself was pretty much as expected - and Boa Vista needs to think hard about its further development or Lanzarote will be the future. We had a good trip to the Timanfaya national park - very crowded but worthwhile. The best bit was a walk up the local volcano - which was fun and informative, and free!

The Timanfaya Palace was fine. We went all-inclusive which worked really well - and apart from a bottle of wine - meant we didn't have to spend any more in the hotel for the week. Good points: the upgrade to sea view was worth it - we were on the left hand wing facing the sea - and the room was quiet and comfortable with a really effective shower; the food was OK - always something we wanted - and the fresh fruits and salads were good; the service was fine - unobtrusive and polite; Mike's coffee shop was great - I drank my way through the menu in the week; the piano bar in the evening was a pleasant place for a drink - very low-key; the only entertainment we sampled was a display by some Chinese acrobats - which was good. If you want somewhere comfortable to unwind for a week with good views and walks the Timanfaya is fine.
Not so good points: the check-in at reception was very slow - and there were only about 5 parties checking in with us - we saw very long queues at time - but we did get welcome drinks and clear room directions; the swimming pool water was freezing - I only sampled it once - the sea was warmer but pretty rough for 2 days so I missed swimming; Playa Blanca itself it pretty tatty with little to do except eat and drink (which we could do for free at our hotel); and what I saw of the island lived up to my fairly low expectations.
So we had a pretty good week - plenty of rest and relaxation. The travel was fine. The weather was warm. The hotel was good. The island must once have been spectacular - but is ruined by tatty development. We are unlikely to go back.

Room Tip: Sea view worth paying for. Floors 2 - 5 on the LHS facing the sea are quiet, but you don't get...
2  Thank banham-canary
Reviewed November 7, 2012

my husband and i have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel ,. the hotel was very nice , execellent location with lovely rooms with big large bed and big balcony. We stayed half board which was very nice ,the food had very good choice and really good quality ,drinks prices were very reasonable too for hotel.
Just one or two little issues the service in bar round pool for lunch was very slow and not very friendly waiters with miserable faces and could be quite rude, we always stay in four star hotels and have never come across such a silly way of having to pay 20euro each deposit for beach towels, why not just have card system as in other 4 star hotels?
When we arrived there was no welcome drink or anybody to take our bags to the room which was quite a challange as the room numbers were not easy to find.These are just little touches we expect but this would not put us of going back to this hotel in the future

3  Thank jeffandjohnny