“Over rated hotel with terrible food”

H10 Timanfaya Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed in this hotel in June/July this year and after 3 days complained about the food!!!

We requested a move to another hotel with our Thompson rep only to be told it would cost another £850, bearing in mind we had already paid over £2000 thought this was ridiculous and incredibly greedy.

The hotel management got involved eventually offering to let us eat in the "A La Carte restaurant, on the first night we walked out as the food was horrible.

The manager was apologetic and offered us a "free holiday" so that he could prove to us that they could supply decent food, on the day we left this changed to a free upgrade to all inclusive if we booked a half board break,

We will never return to this hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ChrisR527
VazquezRomero, Gerente at H10 Timanfaya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

ChrisR527,

I´m sorry that you were not happy with your holidays in our hotel. It is a pity that the first time you share a comment is to write a very negativ review.

I please you to write me a private Email or phone me and with pleasure I´ll speak to you. I and my team work always to do our best. If someone is not happy with our meal (although me have more than 120 different choices every night in our big buffet and big show cooking), we can prepare what they wish specially for them, with pleasure, it is not a problem. We usually get meal wishes from people following diets or ill, and never met some one saying our "food is terrible"... In this case, also with pleasure we can prepare any special courses for them....
Offer a free holiday???.... never!!.. This is one of the reasons that make me think you were not in H10 Timanfaya Palace.

I invite you to contact me and explain your case. I promise I´ll answer you. For the other readers, please, remenber we are here for you, and if you are not happy with anything, contact us so soon as possible, we´ll find a solution. Now at home it is too late..

Kind regards,

José Angel Vázquez

Write a ReviewReviews (5,924)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We spent the week beginning 25th October at the Timanfaya Palace. This was our first trip to Lanzarote - and the reason we went was that the dates were OK, it would be warm there and we could fly from Stansted. So we didn't have any high expectations!

Our last 2 winter sun holidays have been in Boa Vista in the Cape verde Islands - and we loved it. However the trek to Gatwick which always seems to mean an extra night away at an airport hotel is a real drag - so Lanzarote seemed a reasonable alternative. The island itself was pretty much as expected - and Boa Vista needs to think hard about its further development or Lanzarote will be the future. We had a good trip to the Timanfaya national park - very crowded but worthwhile. The best bit was a walk up the local volcano - which was fun and informative, and free!

The Timanfaya Palace was fine. We went all-inclusive which worked really well - and apart from a bottle of wine - meant we didn't have to spend any more in the hotel for the week. Good points: the upgrade to sea view was worth it - we were on the left hand wing facing the sea - and the room was quiet and comfortable with a really effective shower; the food was OK - always something we wanted - and the fresh fruits and salads were good; the service was fine - unobtrusive and polite; Mike's coffee shop was great - I drank my way through the menu in the week; the piano bar in the evening was a pleasant place for a drink - very low-key; the only entertainment we sampled was a display by some Chinese acrobats - which was good. If you want somewhere comfortable to unwind for a week with good views and walks the Timanfaya is fine.
Not so good points: the check-in at reception was very slow - and there were only about 5 parties checking in with us - we saw very long queues at time - but we did get welcome drinks and clear room directions; the swimming pool water was freezing - I only sampled it once - the sea was warmer but pretty rough for 2 days so I missed swimming; Playa Blanca itself it pretty tatty with little to do except eat and drink (which we could do for free at our hotel); and what I saw of the island lived up to my fairly low expectations.
So we had a pretty good week - plenty of rest and relaxation. The travel was fine. The weather was warm. The hotel was good. The island must once have been spectacular - but is ruined by tatty development. We are unlikely to go back.

Room Tip: Sea view worth paying for. Floors 2 - 5 on the LHS facing the sea are quiet, but you don't get...
2  Thank banham-canary
Reviewed November 7, 2012

my husband and i have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel ,. the hotel was very nice , execellent location with lovely rooms with big large bed and big balcony. We stayed half board which was very nice ,the food had very good choice and really good quality ,drinks prices were very reasonable too for hotel.
Just one or two little issues the service in bar round pool for lunch was very slow and not very friendly waiters with miserable faces and could be quite rude, we always stay in four star hotels and have never come across such a silly way of having to pay 20euro each deposit for beach towels, why not just have card system as in other 4 star hotels?
When we arrived there was no welcome drink or anybody to take our bags to the room which was quite a challange as the room numbers were not easy to find.These are just little touches we expect but this would not put us of going back to this hotel in the future

3  Thank jeffandjohnny
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Having had a brilliant time in the Princess Yaiza Hotel in the summer (which we couldn't fault), we were looking forward to returning to the area with our daughter (aged 22) at half term. However, we found the Timanfaya Palace very tried, especially the outside area.We are aware that they are trying to update the hotel and the rooms were fine - very basic, but Ok, but I wouldn't go there again unless the renervations are all completed.
We were near the kitchens unfortunately and every morning from 8am there was such a terrific noise and there was no way of sleeping through. I have no idea what they were doing with the plates, but the crashing sounds were so loud.
We had to pay for the safe, something we have not had to do for years!
The corridors (hallway is too good a term for them!) smelt and were not very nice.
The water features were tired and looked dreadful as did the mini golf area. The pictures on their website do not show the hotel as it really is.
There was also no WiFi in the room or round the pool. In fact trying to get it in the lobby of the hotel was practically impossible. In this day and age that is riduculous.
the restaurant by the pool served good food, but the head waiter was so sweating we were worried about it dripping in our food (the odd wipe with towel would not have gone amiss) and we found a hair in our chips!!!
If you go to Playa Blanca - I'd chose the Princess Yaiza

Room Tip: Do not have a room near the kitchen
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

My honest opinion , we went during the half term break so that may have a bearing .
For ,
nice place right on coast , nice walks to playa blanca , food was ok , wine and drinks were v good , some staff were v friendly , well set out hotel .
Against
I've read other reviews who said staff were friendly but I honestly found most of them miserable , especially the restruant staff , never smile or very helpfull and don't go for breakfast after 10 as they only want to get set up for lunch and are actually rude ! at dinner one night I ordered a glass of wine and there were flies in it , it happens , when I pointed it out I was given another with more flies in ! I took the flies out and put them on the tablecloth and showed the waiter , she said I'll get you a new bottle , no apology and left flies there the whole meal ! .
We paid for a room upgrade , £250 or so , room was very nice with sea view but overlooked the loading bay and where the rubbish and glass are disposed of , so no late lay ins , I did enquire at reception but was told " you have what you paid for " . You can only get drinks from 1 bar during the day , which can get busy . it is very quiet , more geared towards the 60 age bracket , or was that week . Entertainment is the same couple virtually every day and night , although good you can have too much .
All in all could have been much better if the staff had been friendly ,

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank David H
Reviewed November 4, 2012

my husband and i not long back from Timanfaya palace hotel.First time in Lanzarote and after staying at this hotel.will be back.Found all staff very friendly and helpfull.food very good,good variety,rooms comfortable.would definitley go back

8  Thank happycouple877
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Timanfaya Palace. Our room was very modern, the bed was huge and we had a large balcony perfect for a glass of wine in the evening! The hotel is perfectly located in Playa Blanca, just a short walk to the beach, two small supermarkets and a few bars. If you turn right and walk along the promenade you will find a few restaurants and bars. We ate in the Italian restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and we had a fantastic meal overlooking the ocean, perfect! Definitely recommend it!
We booked on a half board basis and we both thought the breakfast and dinner choices were excellent. The restaurant was themed during the evening which ensured that we were never bored with the food. All the food was fresh and tasty, great selection. We did consider all inclusive when we checked into the hotel, but we decided against it as we thought we won't get value for money. We ate lunch out at the local bars and restaurants and we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable eating out was, approx 20 euro for us both with drinks.
We both enjoy lazing in the sun, so the hotel pool and beach front was lovely and relaxing. A few times a week a guitarist plays while you sunbathe and there are plenty of activities to do if you feel energetic!!
The hotel decor is modern and attractive and the main bar is beautiful, we enjoyed lovely cocktails there whilst listening to a pianist, guitarist or saxophonist on different nights.
My only complaint was the standard of cleaning and the maids. Our balcony floor was dirty and I asked three times for it to be washed. I also felt that the general standard of cleaning in the bedroom and bathroom wasn't up to standard. I did report this to reception but I didn't feel the standard improved. We hired the fridge and we found that some of our wine was disappearing from the bottle! My husband also had some cigarettes taken. If you visit this hotel lock up your vino from the greedy maids!!
If you are looking for a relaxing adults only hotel I'd definitely recommend this hotel, great location and Lanzarote is a brilliant island to explore.
p.s. take a travel iron, you have to hire an iron and ironing board!!

Room Tip: We didn't book or request a sea view, we were given a room on the side of the hotel and we still...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple