“Best of the Best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Best of the Best”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went to the Rubicon on the 27/06/13 and from arrival to departure we found the experience to be fantastic,we went all inclusive on the Privilege package and lived like Royalty for a week, all the staff were always turned out very well all very pleasant and helpful nothing too much trouble for them they were very professional the best I have come across.The hotel is very big and caters for all ages especially the kids the staff and activities were first class although we didn't have any kids with us you couldn't help but notice and hear which was good to see,people might say the food wasn't what they liked but what you should remember you are in a different country and the chefs cater for all nationalities so you either experiment or you go for what you know which is plentiful,because we were all inc we had the drinks package with all branded alcohol free and although were not the type to just go for the ale there was ample for us.Our apartment was on the ground floor with a slight sea view but no complaints about the location,our room was cleaned daily we had bath robes,slippers,safe and other goodies,we also got a free visit to the spa,when we went to the restaurants they looked at our black wristband's and waved us by we were just treated really well,if there was a downside it was the night time entertainment which wasn't my cup of tea but I'm sure other people will enjoy it and I had the choice to go out to a near by bar which I didn't, all in all this was a fantastic holiday in a fantastic hotel the best of the best.

Room Tip: ask for a 1st floor room as you get better sea views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iantrue1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,867)
  • Polish first
Daytrippers2009
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spent a week here in April 2013 and it was a great break. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly in all areas. We got a bit of a bad room to start with, but we let them know we weren't happy with it and the very next day we had a fantastic room overlooking the main pool areas and out to sea. The communal areas were always tidy and clean and it looks like lots of upgrades were in the works. It was a good location and I would say ideal for couples and families alike as there were lots of separate swimming pools. The food was excellent for an all-inclusive and the Spa had good facilities whilst being nice and affordable - especially the pool experience. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Any room looks good apart from the ones on the other edges of the resort or perhaps by the on-site b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent a week here in June 2013. The hotel is absolutely fantastic!! Upon our arrival, my cases were taken from me and I was handed a glass of bubbly. We were then taken to our room. Although the hotel is very big, you soon get to grips with the layout. Food was delicious, again with really good service. I would recommend booking a table at the Italian restaurant-beautiful food there. The entertainment was good, however I was surprised when they mimed through a glee album. The disco bar was the only let down really, very slow service and they had little idea of who was next. I went on this holiday with just me and my son, as a single parent I was anxious about going away but the staff here did everything they could to make our stay special. I would definitely recommend the beef eater bar, they have the friendliest staff in the whole hotel-Wallace and Naiomi.. The only let down was 2 days of cloud. Other than perfect hotel, 4 star prices for 5 star luxury!! I'm hoping to go back next year....

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank worth70
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We found this hotel after looking for a last minute break, and wow what a surprise, we arrived at night and thought that the grounds were huge, but in the morning it looked so much easier to navigate, our room overlooked the pool area, and was quite central to everything, the sun bathing area was very big, and there are plenty of sun loungers, the main buffet restaurant is large and you can always find a place to sit, food was very good and varied, you can eat in the a le carte restaurant at no extra cost, food there is served by the waiter, everywhere is very clean, we plan to come back next year, the price is very reasonable for this hotel, there is a promenade to walk up and down, to the left takes you to the harbour, but it is quite a walk, enjoy

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sueblenk
Newport, Gwent
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had reviewed many hotels in the Canary Islands on various web sites and narrowed it down to this one - all the positives are true!! It is located at the edge of Playa Blanca so if you want to be right in the centre it's not for you, but for us it was just what we wanted. A brisk walk and you're at Playa Flamingo in 15 mins - if with children probably 25. The hotel is on a bus route that takes you to the Rubicon Marina for about 1.50 euros or a taxi for a family of 5 only cost 5 euros.

The hotel itself is really well laid out - beautiful reception area, greeted with cava or OJ. Booking in was easy and as we arrived on a private transfer we were the only ones booking in at the time. We weere then taken to our rooms on the train which my son loved and enable you to get a feeol for the hotel complex. I joined the H10 Club before going and e-mailed the hotel with my room requirements - the rooms they allocated us matched everything I had asked for so couldn’t be happier. They had also upgraded us to Privilege Rooms with the coffee machine etc. so I was really pleased. It was our 7th wedding anniversary the day we arrived and we received a voucher for a complimentary botttle of cava in any of the bars, a voucher for a visit to the Spa and a gift of 'Mojo sauces'. My Dad also received the same complimentary items too. This really kick-started the fab customer service we received.
We wanted to be just away from the action and were located by the children's pirate pool with slides etc. Our rooms were ground floor and opened out onto a large grassed area with views out to Fuerteventura and Lobos - perfect!! This meant we could play games with our son on the grass area when we wanted a break from the pool. The Daisy clubs looked very well organised - my 5yr old didn't want to go in them however - there was crazy golf and various activities you could take part in. The latter part of our stay we went to the pool with the waterfall by blocks 98 as the kid’s pirate pool was too shallow for our son to swim in, better for just playing. Also whe the mini-club went in for an hourr it was manic! The second pool was quiet enough but great for kids say 4-12 years old. I've read reviews where people say it's too far to walk from one end of the complex to the other and couldn't disagree more. The layout enables you to pick areas that suit you - if you want the entertainment, animation team and music head for the large pools by the pool bar, smaller children the pirate pool, there is a waterfall pool at the top end near the larger pools and the quieter one we went too - there is also a quieter pool again where it seemed to be mainly adults.
A number of reviews refer to the main buffet restaurant being like a canteen and I can see why they say this - however it has a massive choice. We went to the quieter restaurant for one evening and it was much quieter and relaxed but a smaller selection, so we always opted for the larger one. The food was excellent - various theme nights (Chinese very good) and at breakfast a wide variety to choose from. On our 11 night stay we only had one evening (Spanish night I think) where we were a little disappointed with the choices but that's probably just our taste preferences. We took the opportunity of the night in the Italian restaurant and would recommend it. It was surprising how this could change so much as it's quite busy in the day as the pool bar but took on a different vibe in the evening. You're greeted with a cocktail and there is a singer who was wonderful. In the evenings we would tend to go to the main area where the staff did some good shows - towards the end of our stay however we preferred to go to the Beefeater bar for a few drinks. There is also the piano Bar on floor 6 by reception which is lovely. The view from the balcony outside here is gorgeous.
Two nights a week there are stalls on floor 2 leading to the restaurants where you can pick up gifts etc which was really handy. We went to the Marina on a Wednesday for the market and bought few little things - very busy there but good to see. My dad and I also went for a few walks along the promenade and up to the lighthouse, although there isn't really much to see that end.
The only minor negatives I could say, which do not detract from my 5/5 scoring, are (i) agree with reviews where they refer to the air con perhaps not being cold enough as on max settings the room wasn't that cold but we were comfortable enough (ii) there isn't a sandy beach outside the hotel but we knew that when booking (iii) it would be great if they had maybe one more a la carte restaurant that was included in the AI package.
I have to finally mention all the staff - from the reception, maids, waiters/waitresses (who work like Trojans clearing plates, re-setting tables etc.), animation team, gardeners (who keep the areas looking fab and are constantly strimming and cutting the grass!) they were all FAB. My Dad's travel bag was broken and he had asked reception if he could try and staple it - they took the bag and got a maintenance team member to look at it - when it was returned the next day it looked good as new. This shows how they will do anything they can to help.

In summary if you're thinking of booking this hotel JUST DO IT!

Room Tip: The Privilege blocks have sea views and are 2 storey, located away from the main building. We were...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Hodgey_12
Kent
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here with friends for a one week sunshine break,16-23 july 2013. The hotel was very clean and welcoming and the staff were very efficient, nothing was too much trouble and we always had service with a smile. The complex is quite large and our room was at one end of the complex so it was quite a trek to the restaurants, but it was a pleasant trek through well maintained grounds and pool areas. The rooms themselves were fairly spacious and had fridges but no tea and coffee facilities, so take a kettle if you like your morning tea in bed! The only complaint i would have about the room is that the air conditioning is just about adequate even on the lowest setting. personally i would have liked the room to be cooler.The food was excellent and dinner was a different theme each evening. I would recommend this hotel to friends and especially for families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PITSKent
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel was exactly what I needed for a break away on my own. It was in a quieter area and felt very safe.
Everything I could want was provided for me and if had a problem the staff were only too happy to help solve it.
The restaurants were clean and well staffed, there were plenty of options and plenty of freshly cooked choices to be had.
There was maintenance work being done but it did not disturb me at all and all the staff were very friendly and helpful at all times.
Special thanks to the young lady at the cinema for being so helpful and chatty to a lone traveller. :)

Room Tip: I had a privilege villa with a sea view, be wary of noise from any adjoining rooms as there is only...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to H10 Rubicon Palace? Share your experiences!