“Fantastic holiday”
Review of HL Paradise Island

HL Paradise Island
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A holiday is what you make of it. Just returned on the 21.10.2012 and had a great family holiday. Dont believe all the negative reports. Had an amazing time and found all staff helpful. You can find faults if you go looking for them on any holiday but we were there to have fun and we all did. None of us wanted to return can not believe we were worried about going due to negative reports. I think alot of the negativity came from the hotel refurbishing and closing the main pool for a week which was unfortunate timing for some travellers and Im sure I would not have been happy had it happened to me. You have to question the managements decision to do this at the busy time. However our experience was a great one with us looking to book again next year we loved it that much. Our family was myself, husband a 3 year old and 14 year old. Water park is great as is the kids clubs and main pool excellent value for money.

Room Tip: we stayed in 100s as you get a great sea view with an upper room.
6  Thank julie f
There are newer reviews for HL Paradise Island

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first time all inclusive & we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Paradise Island. Entertainment team were great & provided daily poolside activities to keep out 5 year old amused during day & at night. Our room was spotless with no bugs (we were 1st floor). Food was good, never struggled to find something that we liked on buffet. Waterpark was also spotless with very attentive staff. We had a fabulous holiday & would not hesitate in recommending this hotel & resort.
We also booked a boat trip (not done by rep). We took a stroll along beach & booked a 3 hr trip on the Racquel C which is a traditional style pirate ship. My son loved the opportunity to pull the ropes to raise the sails & steer the ship clad in a pirate hat, eye patch & hook (courtesy of ship staff).
Playa Blanca is beautiful with great shops & restaurants. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank LynzMilligan1
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After reading previous reviews I was so concerned I even tried to change hotel. However so glad we didn't, an amazing holiday was had by all. I honestly think that the hotel has had a big shake-up and the negative reviews should not worry future clientele.
All the team were enthusiastic eager to please and lovely to the children. This is a kids orientated hotel fab kids club. Evening entertainment was typical but fun.
Rooms were not 5star luxury but 3star clean and adequate. Had a problem with air con 1st night but was fixed promptly.
Food was fine, lots of choice chinese buffet 5x week.
Free bus to playa blanca / beach or 4euros in taxi which were easy to get.
Honestly this was a great holiday Thomas cook team worked hard to ensure this.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Harel33
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Positives,rooms clean tidy ,maid service very good entertainment team excellent ,water park was great for kids and adults kids club brilliant food was good but do not expect ala carte it's pastas meat ,chicken etc ,Chinese area open five nights a week .problems were minor check in took 20 minutes as only two on reception .a safe ,remote for air conditioning and tv were 42euros but 30 was refundable,strangely air condition unit was in living area not in bedroom.Bars plentiful drink but often only one person serving meant queues tip get a few in at once.
Pools great but cold pool bar furniture dated no ice cream for kids but they will sort for next year and are still doing up some rooms .we were in apartments 137and 139 very quiet They are looking for 4stars but its only 3 at the moment we returned on 18/10 after 7nights

Ps do not eat at the restaurant just before duty free in Newcastle airport it's a rip off ,breakfast for 4adults 2kids was 57pounds and was cold and indelible
Dougie Lockhart

Room Tip: Rooms in the hundreds we had 137 139
4  Thank Douglas L
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have just returned from 2 weeks in the Paradise Island and it was absolutely wonderful. The appartments were beautiful,food was fabulous,something for everyone and a great selection. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the entertainment team were out of this world.Lizy,Jonny,Grant and Rainer were fantastic,infact it was the best entertainment we have had out of all our foreign trips.Thanks Rainer for the sangria recipe,can't wait to try it. I have told Helen we will need to practice a few times to be sure we get it as good as yours!!!! Thanks again for a great holiday. We Will Be Back.xx

Room Tip: We were in rooms 121 and 123 and they were near to all the amenities and there was no noise at all.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gillian1950171
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A lovely holiday (plus the good, the bad and the ugly...)!

My eldest daughter had her 15th birthday here, I don't know how the hotel knew, but thank you so much for a lovely surprise! A beautiful table setting of candle and flowers with fruit juice cocktails and a complimentary bottle of fizz!

I and my 3 daughters stayed 8th to 15th October 2012, this was our first ever all inclusive holiday in the sun... We did enjoy it, wonderfully relaxing for me and great fun for the girls. However, like all places there's the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY. (Its mostly GOOD) I didn't read any reviews before we went, I have read them now and it is clear the management take note of what is said in customer reviews and act on it.

The GOOD - the staff are all friendly, helpful and approachable. Most facilities are very neat and clean and those that aren't are being fixed (sun loungers at the baby pool were recovered last Monday and the water feature between the restaurant was scrubbed and repainted and the wooden bridge sanded). I enjoyed the food and ate so healthily and heartily I felt better for it. Although I began to despair when my youngest two seemed to eat nothing but carbs, but this is more a parenting issue with buffet food and not the hotel's fault!

The pools and water park were excellent, all very spic and span and the lifeguards are very attentive, especially the lovely Angelo who does a sterling job helping at the pool bar.

Jess, our rep was great. The trip to the volcanoes was amazing, fun and educational. The trip in the submarine was delightful, a diver swam past with a big stingray. The courtesy bus to the beach was useful. But after walking along to the shops it was quicker to take take a taxi back to the hotel - but at 4 E including a tip, was a bargain.

Our room was comfortable and clean although the neighbours pinched our patio chairs!!

The BAD - the noise! Our only real complaint. We had room 517, it is close to the pool bar and we couldn't escape the noise of the entertainments in the evening. My head was sore for 3 days and when I did ask about changing room I was asked to return the following morning to perhaps change room to one which would be vacated that day. However we had booked trips for the next day and the following day. We got used to the noise... and used the music on Saturday to perform our own version of "Strictly" on our patio! We're just not used to having entertainment laid on so thoroughly! Sunday was bliss with peace and quiet all round!

The UGLY - There was a cockroach in my safe once. and we saw a few others. There also was a damp patch on the bedroom wall at the patio door, the harling was missing on the exterior wall, it gave the wardrobe a musty smell.

I really would recommend this place! We returned on Tuesday morning to a dismal, wet and cold Scotland, but I feel totally refreshed and very happy to have spent such a lovely time with my daughters.

Mairi Wallace

Dundee

Room Tip: If you want less noise in the evening, a room away from the pool bar would help.
3  Thank Mairi W
Reviewed October 16, 2012

we stayed for one day to use the Waterpark as we stayed in a sister hotel rio playa blanca. both hotels exellent. i would advise not to hire car from autofeber in the lobby. my son and i hired a car .unfortuanetly we were involved in an accident and were due to fly home the following day. ELena the owner threatened me with the police if i didnt pay 500 euros (£400 aprox) !!! by 6pm. i said if i was liable would pay when got home as did not have that amount. i requested invoice for work and am still waiting.... when i arrived in uk the money had been taken without permission and i have a copy of payment and a forged signature !!!the company are ignoring emails so.i feel that trip advisor would inform future customers.

5  Thank kether45